1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 AM

9mm Tactical Pro II "Common Problem ?"

Is this a common problem with 9mmís?
I have two Kimberís in 45acp and decided I wanted one in 9mm. So after reviewing the web site I decided on a Pro Carry II MSRP of $888, or the Stainless Pro Carry II MSRP of $979. When I got to my gun shop all that was available was a Tactical Pro II, MSRP of $1250. I bought the Tactical Pro II out the door for $1026 which included a trade in gun.

Now, first trip to the range has me very disappointed. Neither of my 45ís have had any problems, but the 9mm had feeding and ejecting problems right from the beginning using Federal 115 Gr FMJ RN ammo. End of range activity. The mag supplied from Kimber appears to be steel and has a Black Pad extension with ďJ&JĒ imprinted. Anyone know who makes this mag? The edges of the mag were very sharp, not all all like the standard Kimber Pro mags, so I smoothed out all the top edges with 800 grit sanding. Also polished the barrel feed ramp and ordered three Wilson combat ETM mags. Have not been back to the range yet to see smoothing the mag made any difference, but do understand from previous threads that it may be extractor related. Anyone with similar problems on 9mm specific Kimbers ?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:57 AM

What type of feeding problems? Did the round clear the mag? Have you checked extractor tension?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson7x View Post
What type of feeding problems? Did the round clear the mag? Have you checked extractor tension?
I briefly looked but could not find one.... is there a thread here on the forum that would explain to the OP how to check and adjust extractor tension?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:12 PM

Feeding problems could be the magazine. For some unknown reason gun companies include cheap magazines with their guns. Try Tripp mags, mine have been 100%.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Feeding problems could be the magazine. For some unknown reason gun companies include cheap magazines with their guns. Try Tripp mags, mine have been 100%.
Tripp's are great mags, but the factory mag thing is a cop out.

9mm 1911 mags are different. I wish I could find some of the threads, but there are specific 9mm mags that work better than others. However, you should not be having issues like that right out of the box.

Assuming you did clean well and lube even better, trying a different mag is a good idea, but there are other things you need to do too. But not knowing exactly what it did or didn't do, it would be a good idea to start with all the normal things, look at ammo, extractor etc. I'm sure shooter issues can be eliminated since you shoot 1911's already.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndoldguy8 View Post
Is this a common problem with 9mm’s?
I have two Kimber’s in 45acp and decided I wanted one in 9mm. So after reviewing the web site I decided on a Pro Carry II MSRP of $888, or the Stainless Pro Carry II MSRP of $979. When I got to my gun shop all that was available was a Tactical Pro II, MSRP of $1250. I bought the Tactical Pro II out the door for $1026 which included a trade in gun.

Now, first trip to the range has me very disappointed. Neither of my 45’s have had any problems, but the 9mm had feeding and ejecting problems right from the beginning using Federal 115 Gr FMJ RN ammo. End of range activity. The mag supplied from Kimber appears to be steel and has a Black Pad extension with “J&J” imprinted. Anyone know who makes this mag? The edges of the mag were very sharp, not all all like the standard Kimber Pro mags, so I smoothed out all the top edges with 800 grit sanding. Also polished the barrel feed ramp and ordered three Wilson combat ETM mags. Have not been back to the range yet to see smoothing the mag made any difference, but do understand from previous threads that it may be extractor related. Anyone with similar problems on 9mm specific Kimbers ?
Try some Wilson magazines. My 9mm Aegis runs perfectly with them.

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637
Old 12-08-2011, 09:58 PM

My Pro Carry II had all sorts of ejection problems. Generally, the ejection was very weak. It would throw cases that didn't jam mostly to the right, but forward, to the left, and at my face as well. I also had some feeding problems. It was immediately obvious to me that the slide velocity was too slow. It went back to Kimber twice, but they didn't manage to fix it. So, I installed a reduced power hammer spring from Wolff. Not only did this allow the slide velocity to increase, it also lightened the trigger pull a little. Problem solved. If I as an amature can figure it out, I don't know why Kimber can't. They need to put a lighter recoil spring in this size 9mm pistol. Unfortunately, Wolff doesn't make one. Fortunately, the lighter hammer spring did the trick.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM

Range update

After taking some 800 grit paper to the edges of the kimber mag, and polishing the barrel feed ramp, off I went to the range to see if there was any difference. First off I must apologize in that my original trip with the new Kimber had ammo that was mixed reload and new rounds of Federal 115 GR FMJ RN. The reloads were 115GR Berry bullets with 3.6 GR of Hodgdon Titegroup powder. Cases were set at 1.125 OAL. Second trip to the range with new ammo shot with zero malfunctions. Using the reloads I started having "Stovepipes" with the last round in the mag. Reloaders out there-----am I using too little power or is the OAL wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:57 PM

That you were having trouble with your reloads and not the factory ammo is certainly good news. Generally, you used lead data for plated bullets. According to Hodgon, the min and max of Tightgroup for a 115gr LRN bullet is 3.9gr to 4.3gr. So, it looks like to me that you're short on your powder. Where did you get the 3.6gr load from? Also, if the factory loads are clearing the gun with plenty of velocity and distance, but your reloads seem to be stovepiping or ejecting with slow velocity and distance, then that's usually a sign that your powder charge is short.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks Brett, that is exactly what I had come up with also. The data I used came from http://data.hodgdon.com indicated Hodgdon/titegroup loading data for 115 gr LRN 3.9 gr and 115 gr SPR GDHP 4.5gr. The 100 gr SPR FMJ had 3.6 gr so I just decided to start low as these were my first 9mm reloads.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post
My Pro Carry II had all sorts of ejection problems. Generally, the ejection was very weak. It would throw cases that didn't jam mostly to the right, but forward, to the left, and at my face as well. I also had some feeding problems. It was immediately obvious to me that the slide velocity was too slow. It went back to Kimber twice, but they didn't manage to fix it. So, I installed a reduced power hammer spring from Wolff. Not only did this allow the slide velocity to increase, it also lightened the trigger pull a little. Problem solved. If I as an amature can figure it out, I don't know why Kimber can't. They need to put a lighter recoil spring in this size 9mm pistol. Unfortunately, Wolff doesn't make one. Fortunately, the lighter hammer spring did the trick.
Same problem I'm having in my new 9mm Custom Target SS. What rate spring did you install.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
Same problem I'm having in my new 9mm Custom Target SS. What rate spring did you install.
A 19Lb Wolff hammer spring. Try one and let us know how it works.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post
A 19Lb Wolff hammer spring. Try one and let us know how it works.
thanks,

Mike
Old 12-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Update

This gun is trouble free now that I finally shot new ammo and the reloads with increased powder loads (4.5 gms) of Hodgdon tightgroup. I usually shot using my new wilson mags also. I like them because they have the plastic part at the top of the spring. I now enjoy shooting this 9mm as much as my 45 Ultra Pluss CDP II.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:17 PM

After Market Magazines

I have a Kimber 1911 Team Match II in 9 mm. The Kimber mags work fine.

I have a set of 5 aftermarket mags that are identical to the mags in the photo shown by 2ndoldguy8 below. The initials J & J are stamped on the magazine pad.

The mags do not work worth a damn. The bullets do not stay in the magazine when carried during a match. On further examination, when the first round is removed by hand, the second round will just pop out. The bullets do not remain parallel in the mag but will tumble and actually fall out in the mag holders while you are moving. Are these mags beyond salvage or is this a problem that is common and I have never heard of it??

I would appreciate your advice.

Regards,