1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Argentine FM Hi Power

How do you date a FM Hi Power?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 PM

I generally start out with maybe coffee or tea. If that goes well I like to aim for dinner and a movie. That's fairly safe and noncommittal.

It there a mutual friend, one can often get a sense if the attraction is mutual.
If so, that makes things even better. A shared interest in activities and hobbies is always a plus.
I like to set up a shooting date as soon as possible. Shooting is important to me, so if that doesn't work out, I move on to another beauty.

I hopes this helps out some...

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 12-07-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 AM

I got my FM HP good and lubed before we went out for our first shooting date
Old 12-08-2011, 07:56 AM

OK, OK, I guess I set my self up for those...well done too I might add.

Let me rephrase the question: How do I determine the manufacture date of an Argentine FM Hi Power?

Is that better?

You guys are some sick pups!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

You could probably get a ball park range right here with a picture good enough to determine the fm variant. If you went to the hi power owners site and posted really good pics of the roll marks and at least the first three of the sn, there is a fellow that can get it even closer than that. For best results, post it in the hp clone section.

http://hipowertalk.com/forum/
Old 12-08-2011, 11:43 AM

I suspect Chuntaro alone could tell you most of you what you want to know about your FM date, with a picture. He's probably already had her, or her sister.

Chuntaro is the FM guy, like JayPee is the FEG guy.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

JayPee has probably put together more pieces of the feg puzzle than I could hope to learn of the FM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:42 PM

SPEEDGUNNER, Please do as chuntaro asked conerning pictures and serial number. A quality visual photo (or photo's) and serial number is the only accurate way to determine your FM model and year of manufacture. Your in good hands, Sir.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 PM

FM HiPowers

I will post the pictures here and hope for the answers.

I actually have two FM Hi Powers, and they are as different as they are the same. One is a black finish, like new condition, you can see the Argentine proof on frame and slide and it has thumb-rest style grips. It is also import marked on the bottom of the trigger guard. FM #2 is a grey parked finish, probably redone, Argentine proof is faint on slide and frame, NO import markings. Hard plastic grips. Both pistols have a P on the left side of the frame to the rear of grips.

Tell me what you can please...

What can you tell me? Year of manufacture? Military, Commercial, Export? Original finish/refinish? Should the mags be marked? What is proper mag?

Thanks.

P.S. I would like to get a set of grips screws for 399328, someone buggered up the ones on the pistol. Any idea where should I look?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
JayPee has probably put together more pieces of the feg puzzle than I could hope to learn of the FM.
Not from what I've seen of your work.

JayPee
Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

Both of your FM pistols are the FM 90 variant. They were the ones made for the fewest number of years, from at or about 1990 to at or about 1994/5. The only original finish I have seen for those is the black enamel like the one on top. I am unable to tell on the one on the bottom if the paint was stripped and it was parkerized or if it was blued with little prep. If they have no markings that would tie them to an agency they are most likely civilian. Even though they have been out of production some number of years some keep turning up new in factory boxes. A considerable number were sold by J and G sales a couple of years back ranging from slightly used to nearly new but I believe they came in some sort of non commercial box. SOG had some at the same time reported to be somewhat rougher in appearance. Most folks chunk the supplied mags into the junk mag box and buy mecgars for them if they do not have good mags already in connection with other hi powers. Grips screws? I have read it written they are not to browning spec on the FM 90. I do not know. I do know there is not a commercial source for FM parts in this country. You might take one of your good ones and a browning grip screw to a fastener outlet that can measure the threads to know for sure if nobody knows here. If you really need the precise year of production, the fellow on the other website may be able to help. That is going to be as far as I can help.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 AM

This is good information, and basically what I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM

Burgs- your the reason I need a new, dry, keyboard... and a refill for my coffee.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM

A pal and I bought two FM 90's from J&G and my pal didn't care for the paint job so he stripped it off and found that he liked the finish underneath the paint much better. It had the parkerized look of a military pistol, according to him, so he left it that way. Could that be what's going on in this case, finish-wise?

JayPee
Old 12-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

It is possible. It would make sense they were parked prior to painting. My fm 90 was already refinished when I acquired it and I just asked for a cold blue touch up after the sight install. Did your associate strip the paint chemically instead of blasting?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 AM

I am going to check with my gunsmith on the grip screws. If anyone here has additional information it would be appreciated. A new set would improve the look of the gun by 100%. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
It is possible. It would make sense they were parked prior to painting. My fm 90 was already refinished when I acquired it and I just asked for a cold blue touch up after the sight install. Did your associate strip the paint chemically instead of blasting?
Yes. He soaked it in solvent for 8 hours or so and scrubbed it off with steel wool. Said it was a real bugger to do but he liked the results. Knowing this, I'd soak mine for 24 hours or so to ease up on all the scrubbing.

JayPee

Last edited by jaypee; 12-13-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
I am going to check with my gunsmith on the grip screws. If anyone here has additional information it would be appreciated. A new set would improve the look of the gun by 100%. Thanks.
I have an FM M-90 and several BHPs and there is no difference on the grip screw threading on my guns.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 AM

I also have an FM 90, purchased new in the FM box in 1996 from my gunstore (dealer a great former Seal, now deceased. Albert was a hell of a guy.) Mine appears absolutely identical to one in top picture---even funky finger groove grips. Info: have had no problem fitting all BHP gripscrews and grips to it. Fine threads, though! MecGars MUCH better mags for mine, too. One difference: if you mess with the safety, you'll find stock BHP safeties a little different spec, you'll have to have Saint/Satan Dremel at hand.
Mine shoots terrific, finish holds up fine---I waxed it. Poor tiny sights: got used to poor trigger feel. Totally reliable with right mags.