1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Remington R1 replacement trigger group

My Dad just bought a R1 and he is having tha same issue with his trigger as a bunch of others on here have. I want to guy him a new trigger group kit and trigger. I have no experiance with tis so I am having a smith instal all this stuff but I was wondering what you reccomend for the trigger kit and trigger itself? I would like to get a 3.5 to 4 lb trigger. Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM

If you get a gunsmith really knowledgeable on the 1911 platform he can use the original parts for what you want with the exception of a trigger with an overtravel stop.

You will probably spend more buying a kit and then paying for installation.

If you were starting from scratch the Cylinder & Slide kits are very good.

Check with a good local smith and find out what he would charge either way before you buy something.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM

The gunsmith is a good friend of my Dads and has worked on many of his long guns and said he will do it cheap for me I want to do it for a Christmas gift. He is knowledgable on the 1911 as far as detailed tear down and minor fixes and problems but he is mainly a long gun guy, so he prefers a kit as opposed to the other route. The Cylinder and Slide kits seem to be well liked...
Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM

Look for a 1911 pistolsmith. There a truckload of sad stories on this forum from those who surrendered their pistol to a gunsmith who was excellent with long guns and had no tools for fitting 1911 parts, even 'drop in' kits. If you don't know where to look, make a new post giving your location and asking for 1911 'smith references. Most any of them will be able to give you a 4# trigger with the factory parts.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenL4 View Post
Look for a 1911 pistolsmith. There a truckload of sad stories on this forum from those who surrendered their pistol to a gunsmith who was excellent with long guns and had no tools for fitting 1911 parts, even 'drop in' kits. If you don't know where to look, make a new post giving your location and asking for 1911 'smith references. Most any of them will be able to give you a 4# trigger with the factory parts.
never thought of that... Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Also right now the trigger is pretty light but it has a lot of creep and a very noticible hitch in it like other have said before the hammer drops which is what we really want to get rid of.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm in the process of upgrading all my trigger parts on my 2nd Ruger SR1911 with this EGW kit:

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=97

My shooting partner had this installed on his Springfield and it's really nice stuff.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad87gt View Post
Also right now the trigger is pretty light but it has a lot of creep and a very noticible hitch in it like other have said before the hammer drops which is what we really want to get rid of.
Mine has the same hitch.

I haven't had time to tear mine down and get into the nitty gritty, but I suspect it's due to the S80 safety assembly.

Just for grins, yank all the S80 parts temporarily and retest the trigger without them.