1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 AM

1911 grip hole size

Bought a set of bone grips from a fellow forum member here. They look great;but,the holes in the bottom of the grips will not fit down onto slim bushings to allow the grips to set flat. (I told the seller about this;he acted like I was accusing him a selling me defective grips that"Fit perfectly on his Ed Brown and Les Baer guns".)

The seller advised that I would need slim grip bushings(only ones I ever use) and to use regular length screws. I have both.

From my reading,I understand that the holes are drilled with a 15/64 drill bit;then,a 9/32 is used on the bottom portion of the hole for only 1/16".

Does this sound correct?

Just trying to get the grips to fit. I already stripped out one screw trying to get them onto the gun.

TIA for any help/advice.

Shad
Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Shad,
Is the problem that the holes don't line up properly with the bushings and that's why they won't go down? If so, a rat tail (or bastard) file is your friend. If they are real close to fitting over, but just not going, a few swipes with one of these on the offending areas should allow them to drop. If they are off by a significant amount, it may require more than that.
Just a FEW swipes, don't get carried away. Remember, you can always take more material off, but you can't put it back on.
If it's more than this, PM me, and I'll see if I can help.
Every once in a while, you do run into a pistol where the bushings are spaced a few thousandths of an inch different for some reason, which can cause something like this.
Good luck!
Sarge
Old 11-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

One more thing - you said they were bone. While Ivory is obviously well dried, and most Camel bone is the same, some will use bone from other animals and it may not be fully dried when they receive it. Not allowing it to dry TOTALLY before fabrication can result in a grip panel that fits immediately upon completion, but may shrink over the next few days/weeks into a set in which the holes will be up to 1/16" short or more.
Just a thought.
Sarge
Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM

You are correct about the dimensions for the holes. And Sarge is right about the bastard file and about the moisture in the material.

I try not to use standard thickness grips and screws with slim bushings. I just feel like there isn't much bushing for the screw to go into and you end up with a greater length of screw outside of the bushings than you do inside the bushings. Have you tried putting on standard bushings? You'll be able to tell immediately where the contact point is on the grips and bushing that way. It's more difficult to tell when using a standard thickness grip on a slim bushing.

Find Us On Facebook!
Class 01 FFL Dealer
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 PM

Sarge,many thanks for the timely info and advice.

The holes appear to be very centered.

I have some clue that the bone is baffalo;but,honestly have no idea. It has been very wet and warm here lately. Now I'm thinking Sarge has the ticket. They shrank/swelled up;are probably not well-cured material.

Will swipe with the bastard and screw them down asap.

The seller stated that the grips were in between slim and standard thickness. That's what they look/feel like to me. If I use standard bushings and screws the screw may be too proud of the grip. (?) I'm not to that point yet;but,there will be very little screw thread into the slim bushing. Have not ruled that out. Thanks,Olympus!

I routinely use slim bushings and Alumagrips. They always fit!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Bone grips/the fitting thereof

After referring to the "Grip Making How-To" sticky I decided to use the 9/32 bit to widen the bottom of the hole to proper dimension. I just hand-held it and twisted back and forth.

It looks like the holes were straight-drilled with 15/64(makes me appreciate metric). When I made the short shelf in the bottom of the hole they fit on the bushing. Yay and verily!

BUT the grips showed light/didn't fit flat. So,I stuck some 220 grit FRE-CUT paper on the bench and commenced to flatten them suckers. After that I had to redo the 9/32 shelf again. Didn't measure the depth;just trial&error by hand.

The regular length screws seem to have enough thread into the bushing(I left out the #60 O-ring) and don't stick out too far from the surface of the grip. Did put a "Frame-Saver" (and a film of FrogLube) underneath the bone to protect the blued carbon steel.

In essence,they were not drop-in parts.

Only took me about an hour;but,deciding what to do took longer.

I know,pics or it didn't happen. Will get pics when it stops raining.

Thanks Sarge and Olympus for the encouragement. I needed it!

Last edited by Shad Roe; 11-28-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it's a shame you had to invest the time to get them done, but at least they work now. Great job! Now that you've glimpsed the addiction, I'm sure your next set will be one of your own making.
Sarge
Old 11-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Sarge,you give me too much credit. I'm too OCD to do that kinda stuff. And lazy.

I was really thinking of sending them to you for a bob-tail contouring! I bought them to put on,what will be,my first bob-tail 1911. A LW Govt. XSE with 100 Year marks. (Maybe it will look all too easy when I get the gun back from shop.)?

I do have some ideas for grips that I think is a unique look;and,plenty doable without too much trouble.

In the meantime the bone grips are staying screwed down. Hoping they have gotten cured out enough to stop changing shape/don't split.

When I was removing my Alumagrips with #60 O-ring the little brass ring from inside the grip came out. Just something I didn't know could happen. Messing with grips is interesting.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 AM

Just for future reference

Evidently,from my observations thus far, Frog Lube and bone have an interesting interaction.

I apologize for not having pics. I could've shown before,during,and after;but,the stuff(bone of some sort) is pretty much changing from bath-tub white to a very faint mottling to streaks with varying degrees of translucence and opacity. Which is a distinct improvement,IMHO!

Had to re-tighten the screws again. The indoor relative humidity has changed from very wet high 80% to around 50% and I have been carrying the grips up against the 98.6 degrees body temp.

The only other person who remarked on these grips is Johnny handgun;he said that he just got a pair of them(thought they were buffalo bone);but,his PM file is full. Maybe he will read this thread and respond.

I have asked the seller who made these grips;but,got no answer. We did get off on the wrong foot it seems. My own fault,no doubt.

At any rate,I like these grips more now than when I first got them;and,they are changing,in appearance and in dimension,everyday.

Hoping to get pics tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 PM

These look kinda funny on this gun,to me. Will try them out when the Colt gets back home.

They will get bobbed anyway.

Not used to smooth grips. They are pretty slippery;the proverbial bar of soap.

Pics do not show the mottling and streaks. Bad lighting.