1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 11-27-2011, 01:17 PM

How to start my collection

If this isn't the correct forum, mods, please feel free to move this.

I'm relatively new to buying firearms, but I see myself making quite a few purchases over the next 10-20 years. I'd like some opinions on the best route to take. I do not plan on purchasing historical pieces, nor am I making purchases as an investment, though some may become valuable someday.

With that said, I'd like to know from those that have a collection, what the best approach to take is.

Do I start based on the caliber, buy the guns that I really want in that caliber, and then move on to the next? Do I start based on platform, and then expand into other platforms? Or, is it okay to just buy what I want and continue to learn about them as I go?

As of right now, I have a polymer .22, polymer 9, Remington R1, and a 12 gauge semi-auto. I think it's early enough for me to start my collection based on recommendations from those that have experience, so please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Wow, that's a broad and tough question.
I think your question depends on a lot of things.
Purpose of use?....... Range, SD, HD, Competition, Plinking, Collection etc?
Since you did mention starting a collection, and it were me, I'd start by purchasing the guns I've always wanted. Typically, they also come in the caliber you want.
I'm sure once you start reviewing the thousands of varieties of handguns, I'm sure you'll come up with a decent shopping list
Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpschulte View Post
Wow, that's a broad and tough question.
I think your question depends on a lot of things.
Purpose of use?....... Range, SD, HD, Competition, Plinking, Collection etc?
Since you did mention starting a collection, and it were me, I'd start by purchasing the guns I've always wanted. Typically, they also come in the caliber you want.
I'm sure once you start reviewing the thousands of varieties of handguns, I'm sure you'll come up with a decent shopping list
I know...I already have a pretty long list of guns that I want, so I'm trying to figure out whether there's a better way to go about starting the collection vs just bying what I want. At this point, I have the .22 for cheap range use and practicing technique. The 9mm was my first purcahse and was for the bedside and range. The R1 was my first 1911, which I wanted to be relatively cheap for a first. I have plans for "better ones" in the not-so-distant future. The 12 gauge is mostly for hunting.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Start buying what interests you. That's how you start a collection. Obviously if money is tight you're going to want to avoid duplicates or guns that fill similar roles.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 PM

About 30 years ago I started collecting what I could afford. Today I take a more historical/Military approach. I like Israeli Military weapons and German weapons among others. I no longer purchase what comes along but wait till I can afford a more favorable piece and treat them like investments while still shooting them.
Ron
Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM

You need a rifle,that just ain't right man.A good quality 22 rifle is a must.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:27 PM

I agree with starting out buying what you like. If you're like me, after a few purchases,certain firearms will pique your interest more than others, and the collecting will lead you, not vice versa. And it might change over time, too.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Few people here started off to have a "collection". I bought guns I liked over the years, as have most folks, I imagine. You are over-thinking this, but I would recommend you buy quality. BTW, on the day you bought your second gun, you started your collection. Do your research, buy what you can afford that interests you. If you make any purchase with a credit card, and it isn't paid for the next month, you are heading down the wrong road, and your hobby will cost you half again more than it should.
Good luck,
L.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
You are over-thinking this, but I would recommend you buy quality.
Agreed. Over the years I never remembered how much a paid for a gun, only whether it was a good gun or not.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Start buying what interests you. That's how you start a collection. Obviously if money is tight you're going to want to avoid duplicates or guns that fill similar roles.
+1. The way you stay involved is by buying what interests you, not what others THINK you should get. There are no wrong answers here. If you like it, if it speaks to you in some way, get it. Plus it already seems like you have some of the basics...a 9mm...a 45...and a 22. Seems like you already have the start of a nice collection.

As for me...not necessarily you...I'm sticking to the popular calibers...22, 9mm, 45, 556 and 308. You could certainly make arguments for some others...40 cal, 357, etc. But due to funds, I'm trying to stay limited to the ones I've named...but who knows, maybe one day I'll branch out beyond this. I'm not a big revolver fan, but a Colt Python is truly a work of art. It speaks to me. So maybe one day.

The other decision I've made for myself is to save my money and buy quality/what I really want. For example, what I really wanted is a Wilson CQB. It was my first 1911. I chose to save my money and wait until I could afford it instead of buying, say, a cheaper, and what would have been a "starter" (to me), 1911.

I noticed you have a couple pistols and a shotgun. So a nice AR 15 might be a nice addition at some point and/or a nice bolt action long range rifle. But again, follow your own interests. Neither of those guns may appeal to you right now. Get what YOU like.

Peace
Old 11-27-2011, 04:22 PM

your interests are what's important. It is afterall YOUR hard earned $. I tried to stick to the 3-gun approach. I will say this. SD 12 or 20 gauge is a must have. And these days you can get a lot of features for a friendly price. Nothing like a good 'ol pump. Seeing how you've already got a "bird gun" an SD pump will round out your shotgun options nicely.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Like many others have already said, no one can tell you how to build your collection as it is a very personal issue.

An easier question to answer would be to let you know how we decided what to add to our collection when we were first getting started. For me I only had two criteria:
1) I had the money
2) I wanted it

My personal interest was in the different designs and types of firearms so I wanted one of each major design type (revolver, semi auto pistol, bolt action rifle, semi auto riffle, shotgun, cap & ball, etc.). As you would expect my collection was not really a collection, just an assortment. After playing with what I had for several years I learned that my real interest was in the military small arms. I further narrowed my collection by focusing on small arms that were used by or against the US military over the years.

I then slowly traded or sold the ones that did not fit my now more focused collection to fund items that better fit my true interests. All of this took 10-15 years of collecting and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Bottom-line is that this is a hobby – have fun by doing what makes you happy. If you follow the good advice of buying quality, then if you later decide to sell or trade something you will be able to get a better deal for yourself later down the road.

There are only two rules in collecting and shooting firearms:
1) Be safe
2) Have fun

Mike
Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll just plan to continue adding based on what I want. That's the response I was hoping to hear anyway.

And I definitely plan to purchase quality over quantity, though I'm sure in 10 years the quantity will be relatively high too.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Collecting

Quote:
Exactly.

Begin with an interest. Try to vary the type and calibers intially.

After a while you'll want different manufacturers and before you know it;
you've got an accumulation.

You'll learn more about different guns and the History of firearms and develope an interest in certain types of firearms, no telling where it will go.

It's fun and the desire for more will never stop, do I sound like an addict; I am.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 PM

$$$

Quote:
Agreed. Over the years I never remembered how much a paid for a gun, only whether it was a good gun or not.
Actually, I remember both.

How much I paid and if it was good or not so good.

I wonder sometimes whether I have a collection or an accumulation.

Gotten rid of what doesn't please me and now have only guns I will hand down to my family someday.

BTW, I'll shoot the heck out of them until then.