1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 11-19-2011, 10:32 PM

Problems with my American Classic Amigo

Well since I bought it new a few weeks ago, I have had lots of problems with my hard chrome Amigo.

I emailed back and forth with one of the Metroarms buys and I think we are on our way to get this fixed or replaced.

I will keep you guys updated but so far, it seems he is going out of his ways to take care of this.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
Well since I bought it new a few weeks ago, I have had lots of problems with my hard chrome Amigo.

I emailed back and forth with one of the Metroarms buys and I think we are on our way to get this fixed or replaced.

I will keep you guys updated but so far, it seems he is going out of his ways to take care of this.
I've been looking at getting one myself soon... care to expand on the problems you've been having? Do you think they're isolated to the Amigo model, or is this a Metro Arms problem??
Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbla View Post
I've been looking at getting one myself soon... care to expand on the problems you've been having? Do you think they're isolated to the Amigo model, or is this a Metro Arms problem??
Nose dives (Tried many different magazines and ammo)

Ejection issues

Not going into battery

Magazine catch hole and Mainspring housing pin holes seem a little "off" as no parts I try to use will work at all.

Magazines seem a little loose when inserted

I think these are just issues with this pistol. I think it's just a lemon as many other people have had no issues with theirs.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
Nose dives (Tried many different magazines and ammo)

Ejection issues

Not going into battery

Magazine catch hole and Mainspring housing pin holes seem a little "off" as no parts I try to use will work at all.

Magazines seem a little loose when inserted

I think these are just issues with this pistol. I think it's just a lemon as many other people have had no issues with theirs.
Please keep us posted. I bought one about a month ago. (blue) Only ran about 30 rounds through it. I had similar issues, mostly not going in to battery. I was shooting light reloads that I run all day through my ACII. I figured since it was new and my II is well broken in, I blamed the ammo. Haven't had a chance to get back to the range with some factory loads to try it again. I hope its not the gun.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 PM

remember you have a warrenty If their a problem use it .

Reynerson's in La has been very good and so has Colorado Gun Works These 2. I have work with . So that why I say those. Others may be as good or better I don't really know .

Just my 02.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:59 PM

Yep, I'm sending it out to Reynerson's tomorrow morning. It's all boxed up.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 AM

It's not just isolated to the Amigo. Many of the nosedive issues have been posted by others with the commander version as well. Plenty of documentation online. I experienced the same thing with mine.

But a side note is that Reynerson's is the warranty center I used and they are very good people. Definitely competent gunsmiths and from what I read, they see plenty of the Metro Arms 1911s. I would highly recommend them for your warranty work.

Find Us On Facebook!
Class 01 FFL Dealer
Old 11-25-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
It's not just isolated to the Amigo. Many of the nosedive issues have been posted by others with the commander version as well. Plenty of documentation online. I experienced the same thing with mine.

But a side note is that Reynerson's is the warranty center I used and they are very good people. Definitely competent gunsmiths and from what I read, they see plenty of the Metro Arms 1911s. I would highly recommend them for your warranty work.
Yeah, I sent it out and they received it today so hopefully I will hear something next week.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:20 AM

Keep us posted.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:26 PM

Reynerson just called and here is the rundown:

1. Extractor had NO tension on it. He adjusted it.
2. Breech face needed polished
3. Throated
3. The ramp was cut incorrectly at the factory and they re-shaped it
4. Ramp was polished
5. Mag catch was replaced with a Colt mag catch
6. Slide stop was "cracked" and was replaced/fitted
7. Recoil spring was replaced with a heavier spring
8. Internals were cleaned and polished
9. Frame is out of spec and will not allow the use of an aftermarket magwell

So, they're shipping it back to me and I will have it tomorrow.

Number 9 pisses me off! I have an Ed Brown or Wilson Combat magwell on ALL of my 1911 pistols and I just flat out refuse to own a pistol that I cannot add one to.

I guess once I get it back tomorrow, I am selling it to buy a Rock Island or another Springfield.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:05 PM

I hate to hear that Nutro. It seems Metro Arms didn't learn anything with all the people who had problems with their commander models. Looks the issues carried forward to the officer size too. You have good reason to be miffed.

If you can get Reynerson's to put #9 in writing, I would contact the distributor and demand a replacement or a refund. From what I've read on other boards, Metro supposedly stands behind all their products and is willing to do what's right. Now who knows if that's the truth or if it's just lip service. But I have noticed an an abundance of posts in threads where customers are happy and an ominous silence in threads regarding problems, so I have my own thoughts about that.

If you decide to contact Metro Arms or Eagle Imports for a replacement or refund, let us know how it goes.

Find Us On Facebook!
Class 01 FFL Dealer
Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 PM

boy that is too bad. A lot of things wrong there. I'm hoping my issues will smooth out after a longer break in period. Last trip to the range was better but still a lot of failure to return to battery.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 PM

Well, never mind about it being here on Friday. Reynerson TOLD me they were shipping it out Thursday afternoon so I took the day off and stayed home all day. It never showed up. That pisses me off so much.

So, I called them and it will SUPPOSEDLY be here Monday so guess what? I'll be burning another day to be at home to receive it.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 PM

just call the shipping company and ask to pick it up at one of there locations if you have one around.

sorry to here about your problems with your gun. i've owned a full size and a commander and have never had a problem with either. I've looked at the amigo a few times, but always move on to something else. If i buy another officers size it's going to be a colt defender, or maybe a springfield
Old 12-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Got my pistol back yesterday. Everything looks ok but I can't shoot it until this weekend to see if it goes well.

He put a new slide stop on it that I do not care for. It's an extended version but it looks like silver plastic. It's pretty funky looking.

It hand cycled HP and ball ok so it might just work out.

I'll probably sell it once I know it works well and buy another RIA
Old 02-07-2012, 04:15 PM

American Classic Amigo

I recently purchased an American Classic Amigo
I have looked at several Pistols
I have several Springlield 1911's full size but wanted a smaller 1911 to carry concealed
At first look the Amigo appeared put together well. Did some home work on who these people are that put the pistol together and there history. Seems that the people behind the pistol know their stuff about 1911's. Pistol I purchased had a very good slide / frame fit
I was not impressed with the mag that came with the pistol and plan on replacing it with "quality" mags
Took the pistol totally apart for a good cleaning to rid the firearm of the packing crud. Found pistol well made. After some oil on the slide and several cycles of slide and frame I put the firearm together
As I said the mag that came with the pistol is not good and could be a major factor why some folks have had trouble
Put dummy/ function rounds in a Kimber Mag cycled them with no problem, used Springfield mag and no problem
For the money this is a fine firearm. I have not fired the firearm yet and do not plan on shooting it until I am satisfied that the slide and frame are mated and sliding free
Old 02-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Update to mine, I pulled the extractor out, found a lot of crud/old grease on it. Cleaned it up, made a minor adjustment to lessen the tension. Only other anamoly I found was surface rust on the firing pin spring. Went back to the range with 100 flawless rounds fired. I'm pretty pleased that it doesnt seem to be serious. Not sure why but I shoot this gun better than my ACII.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 AM

Hi...curious as to what mags are supplied and which design, are they marked?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolan View Post
Hi...curious as to what mags are supplied and which design, are they marked?
ACT brand mags come with most all of the Philippine made 1911's...