1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 PM

Iver Johnson "Thrasher"

Does anyone have any experience with the Iver Johnson 3" "Thrashers"? I saw them in my local gun store today. They're about the right size for me, but I've never heard of them, and can't find anything else online about them...

I'll include an image.

-Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321487017.191125.jpg  
Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 PM

I don't know anything about Iver Johnson but I'm not a big fan of anything less than Commander length (4 1/4"). I have aprox. 40 handguns and the last one I would grab for self defense is my 3" Springfield Micro-Compact. I know some people will swear they have great luck with the 3-3 1/2 barrels in a 1911 but I am not one of them. I love 1911's and have many but I don't think the design works well in anything less than Commander length. BTW my primary carry gun is a compact Glock 36 in 45 .acp.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkus View Post
I don't know anything about Iver Johnson but I'm not a big fan of anything less than Commander length (4 1/4"). I have aprox. 40 handguns and the last one I would grab for self defense is my 3" Springfield Micro-Compact. I know some people will swear they have great luck with the 3-3 1/2 barrels in a 1911 but I am not one of them. I love 1911's and have many but I don't think the design works well in anything less than Commander length. BTW my primary carry gun is a compact Glock 36 in 45 .acp.
So you think I should stick to the RIA compact tactical?? I've got fairly small hands and a full size 1911 just seems like a massive hunk of steel for me to be slinging around, and there is no way I'd be able to CCW it.... I could probably be able to handle the 4.25" compact tactical...

-a
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 AM

I think for a lot of reasons(primarily the reliability) I think you would be better of with a Commander size frame. You take an Officers Model and a Commander side by side there isn't a heck of a lot of difference.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Looks cool to me. Did the Thrasher have bushing or a bull barrel?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua casher View Post
Looks cool to me. Did the Thrasher have bushing or a bull barrel?
It looked thicker, kinda bullish. It felt good in hand, but it would be my first 1911. I don't know if I should get a micro first.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM

I would get a full size 5 " Model first than a compact 1911 second.

I had a full size 5" Iver Johnson until a particularly evil expense reared its ugly head and the Iver made the ultimate sacrifice. It was a good 1911 that worked reliably and now that my financial picture is better I will be replacing that Iver with another Iver 1911. I am just not sure on which model.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua casher View Post
I would get a full size 5 " Model first than a compact 1911 second.

I had a full size 5" Iver Johnson until a particularly evil expense reared its ugly head and the Iver made the ultimate sacrifice. It was a good 1911 that worked reliably and now that my financial picture is better I will be replacing that Iver with another Iver 1911. I am just not sure on which model.
Here's my dilemma... I would like to carry it (potentially), and smaller guns tend to suit me better. I mean my EDC gun(s) a Kel Tec PF9 and a XD9sc both fit my hand comfortably without need of grip extensions... When I held a full sized RIA it was such a behemoth piece of metal in my hand... But I need to look at them again, I don't "need" another carry gun... But I tend to err on the side not wanting to only buy guns I'd be willing to carry...

-a
Old 11-18-2011, 10:00 PM

DBLA -

I understand your viewpoint regarding carry guns. For my own selfish reasons I hope you buy one just so I can read your range report on the Thrasher. As other posters have mentioned 1911's with barrels shorter than 4.25-4" can been tempermental. However some short 1911's work just fine so keep that in mind too. If you do buy the Thrasher also keep in mind that 185gr and 200gr loadings may help keep the Thrasher from Thrashing too much when fired.

Last edited by joshua casher; 11-18-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 PM

So here's another caveat, anyone have any experience with a Metro Arms American Classic Amigo? Saw that one today in a shop, and it looks bad ass... Decently priced too, really impressed by the fit and finish you get for roughly $500...

-a
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 PM

No experience with that brand but I am sure someone here does.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:25 PM

American Classic Amigo compact officer size 3 1/2 " barrel
American Classic Commander 4 1/4" barrel

I think "Amigo" be good choice if you want a small 1911 Really the frame size except for length of grip are really the same
Old 11-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t View Post
American Classic Amigo compact officer size 3 1/2 " barrel
American Classic Commander 4 1/4" barrel

I think "Amigo" be good choice if you want a small 1911 Really the frame size except for length of grip are really the same
I'm starting to lean pretty heavily that way.

-a
Old 11-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Emp

Sounds like you need an EMP.
You can find them used for $800 sometimes.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM

I have one!

I know this thread is a few months old but I figured I'd still throw in my 2 cents. I recently purchased the Iver Johnson Thrasher in stainless steel and I absolutely love it! I've only put 200 rounds of Federal 230gr through it so far but I have not had one FTF or FTE or any issue with it whatsoever. Everyone who's shot it (including me) is overly impressed with the accuracy of this pistol. I can't stress enough how much I truly love this little 1911. I'm very happy with my purchase.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 PM

The Iver Johnson Thrasher is the same gun essentially as the ATI Titan...why? Because both are manufactured by SAM out of the Philippines.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 AM

I've had 3-inch 1911s and they've run as reliably as the 4 and 5-inch models.
The spring set-ups are different, sometimes very different, but once set-up they work very well.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM

I am glad to see that :

1- Someone actually bought a Thrasher.

2- It seems to function relaibly.

They look like neat little 1911's. I hope I see one at the gunshows I plan on attending this spring.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM

I've yet to come across an Iver Johnson 1911...
Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodadek View Post
The Iver Johnson Thrasher is the same gun essentially as the ATI Titan...why? Because both are manufactured by SAM out of the Philippines.
You're right, there are a lot of similarities between the Titan and the Thrasher but the aluminum recoil assembly bushing that a lot of people of here were having issues with on the Titan is replaced with a stronger stainless steel bushing on the Thrasher. And the recoil assembly itself, including the springs, are of a higher quality with the Thrasher.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnStr8 View Post
You're right, there are a lot of similarities between the Titan and the Thrasher but the aluminum recoil assembly bushing that a lot of people of here were having issues with on the Titan is replaced with a stronger stainless steel bushing on the Thrasher. And the recoil assembly itself, including the springs, are of a higher quality with the Thrasher.
Hence the essentially bit. I'm sure each company that contracts with SAM has seperate specs. I've never taken apart either the Thrasher or Titan so I felt adding the essentially was an important thing to do, otherwise I'd have had egg all over my face (tell an STI Spartan owner that his gun is essentially the same as an RIA Match). Nice little bit of information too by the way, thanks for the info. No idea how they compare fit and finish wise either, the one ATI 1911 I ran into was the commander variant and I've never seen an Iver Johnson anything (well, outside of their old revolvers like my Sidewinder).
Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM

I just purchased an Iver Johnson Thrasher and I like the solid feel of it. It feels almost as heavy as my RIA 1911A1 so I'm not worried about recoil but I plan on using 185Gr. hollow points as my main defense load. I plan on using this as my carry gun when I get my CCW permit. I havent had the chance to fire it yet but having extensive use of both full size and commander length models I dont anticipate any problems with controlability. This must be a new model from I.J. as I have #12. I won't have a chance to try it out for a couple of weeks due to other conflicts of schedule, but I'll try and post a range report on it as soon as I can.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM

New Thrasher

Thrasher # 00012 I now have Thrasher #00014. Thanks all of you for your posts I read them before ordering it. Haven't taken it out to the range but I love the look. Bought an Iver Johnson Eagle two months ago, and it shot a 2 inch group at 20 yards with 230 gr generic ball ammo. One reason I looked at the Thrasher when looking for a CC weapon. Will be happy if the 3 inch barrel comes close to that. Will give a full report after I hit the range this week.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siscowet985 View Post
Thrasher # 00012 I now have Thrasher #00014. Thanks all of you for your posts I read them before ordering it. Haven't taken it out to the range but I love the look. Bought an Iver Johnson Eagle two months ago, and it shot a 2 inch group at 20 yards with 230 gr generic ball ammo. One reason I looked at the Thrasher when looking for a CC weapon. Will be happy if the 3 inch barrel comes close to that. Will give a full report after I hit the range this week.
The eagle is their government model with bomar type sights, correct? How's it fit and finish wise? I've never seen any up here in the oh so cold North, wouldn't mind finding their Trojan model since it's as close to the old pre 80's series Combat Commander as a guy is going to get. I recall in the M1911.org review they talked about some unusual wear, possibly from the gun being too tightly toleranced, wondering if they got an early model, a dud, or if it's indicative of the entire lineup.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Fit and finish are excellent on both. Yes the Eagle has adjustable Bomar type sights. I just got back into 1911's after 30 years away, and found the Iver Johnson's to be what I think is one of the best values. It is my understanding that they are hand fitted at SAM in the Phillipines. Will give a fuller report later in the week.