Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > The Armed Citizen

Old 11-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Concealed carry permit holder defendes herself

If already posted I didn't find it.http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8071
Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 AM

GOOD GIRLS 1 / bad boys 0

Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanks for sharing this! Get the training, permit and carry the weapon!!!!

Bob
COTEP #0071
Old 11-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Perfect timing. I popped over to another forum and added that to a response I made when someone posted in a members only area (hence no link) that they felt:
Quote:
...I just do not think it is reasonable for people to walk around armed in a normal society. It is dangerous. I'm happy for you to own a gun, don't get me wrong. Put it in a safe till the SHTF though.
So in addition to a couple of founding father quotes advocating an armed populace, I went back and added the link to that story as a perfect example of why the above statement is wrong.

I must admit though. In this case her carrying a gun was dangerous, for the CRIMINAL! You go girl!!!

The more I'm around people, the more I love my dog. And she annoys the hell out of me sometimes! AIW
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Perfect timing. I popped over to another forum and added that to a response I made when someone posted in a members only area (hence no link) that they felt:

So in addition to a couple of founding father quotes advocating an armed populace, I went back and added the link to that story as a perfect example of why the above statement is wrong.

I must admit though. In this case her carrying a gun was dangerous, for the CRIMINAL! You go girl!!!

that is the most pin headed anti gun Fudd'd up thing I have seen in 50 years pray IM me so I may go to that site for furute enjoyment and blood pressure raising stupidity..
Thank you

free people rights as derived from nature, and not the gift of their chief magistrate Jefferson

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a ltemporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Franklin
Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 PM

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 PM

"...I just do not think it is reasonable for people to walk around armed in a normal society. It is dangerous. I'm happy for you to own a gun, don't get me wrong. Put it in a safe till the SHTF though."

Looks to me like TSHTF right there.

Bet she was glad it wasn't in a safe.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:23 PM

CCW To The Rescue

The problem with the normal society that we live in here in America, is that their are animals who are looking to prey on what they percieve as weak and easy targets, their sole purpose is to make you a victim. I wish we didn't have to have guns and carry guns I wish everything was just hunky dory, but that's not the reality that we all live in, America is a very dangerous place and danger lurks around every corner, so we must defend ourselves any way we can, that's where the CCW comes into play!!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 PM

We are in the new normal.
RIA GI .45- RIA Compact .45 RIA Compact 9mm
GSG 1911 .22
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Great story.

It's also relevant to a thread in another section of the forum here where there is a discussion about whether to carry a 1911-style pistol with a round in the chamber or not--the "not" side is assuming that it won't take them long to rack the slide in a confrontation.

I submit that lying on your back in your car with an assailant on top of you would not be the time you want to have to "load" your gun first, before using it!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:13 PM

The homeless sex-offender had not registered his address.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
Old 12-05-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrake View Post
Great story.

It's also relevant to a thread in another section of the forum here where there is a discussion about whether to carry a 1911-style pistol with a round in the chamber or not--the "not" side is assuming that it won't take them long to rack the slide in a confrontation.

I submit that lying on your back in your car with an assailant on top of you would not be the time you want to have to "load" your gun first, before using it!
Ive been trying to drive this point home into my Dad's thick head for over a year!

He cringes everytime he sees my 1911 Cond.1 in the holster. The scary thing is, he wants a Springfield 1911 for an EDC and thinks he will have time to jack a round in the chamber. I either have to get it through to him, or talk him into sticking with wheelguns
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
Old 12-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post
Ive been trying to drive this point home into my Dad's thick head for over a year!

He cringes everytime he sees my 1911 Cond.1 in the holster. The scary thing is, he wants a Springfield 1911 for an EDC and thinks he will have time to jack a round in the chamber. I either have to get it through to him, or talk him into sticking with wheelguns
Get him a Glock.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:09 PM

That is why you get a permit and carry. Bravo to this woman.

NRA Member
Colt Lightweight Commander, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Custom TLE II RL,Kimber Ultra TLE II, Kimber Raptor Pro II SS.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post

Help him to get the 1911. After he sees/knows/understands how it works,he will carry it correctly=condition "RTG" 1.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gunner View Post
Get him a Glock.

Or a nice Smith revolver. There's lots of ways to skin a cat. The gun used, assuming it's reliable and reasonably accurate, is not that important.
NRA Life Member
Old 12-09-2011, 09:43 PM

It took me a while to be comfortable carrying in condition one. I took some advice from the forum and carried it in condition one for awhile but unloaded (not real condition one) but it gave me the confidence that the safety was not going to come off and the hammer never fell on it's own. I have been condition one since. Your dad may need the same experiment to convince him that JMB knew what he was doing.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
While lying on her back, with her assailant atop her, Bennett arched her spine, opened the SUV console with her right hand and pulled out her firearm.
She was lucky -- on-body carry is the right way to go.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman45 View Post
The problem with the normal society that we live in here in America, is that their are animals who are looking to prey on what they percieve as weak and easy targets, their sole purpose is to make you a victim. I wish we didn't have to have guns and carry guns I wish everything was just hunky dory, but that's not the reality that we all live in, America is a very dangerous place and danger lurks around every corner, so we must defend ourselves any way we can, that's where the CCW comes into play!!
Yup. You can't make an appointment for an emergency. One carries a pistol not because they expect a problem, but because they have no specific reason to expect one. If one expects a problem and cannot make arrangements to be somewhere else, it is foolish to rely only on a pistol. That's a time when one needs an appropriate long gun.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:23 PM

First, good on her. She walked away ok. Job one accomplished.

Second, I found this halarious:

Quote:
For example, on September 30, during a PBS panel show called NewsNite, Beacon-Journal columnist Steve Hoffman asserted that there is no real reason for gun advocates saying they need to protect their families.
"I don't, there, there've been, uh, at least I can't remember any, incidents where someone, uh, a concealed carry permit holder and his or her family has been threated in like, you know, the Walmart parking lot, and has bravely, uh, defended themselves against mayhem. I mean, the idea of citizens, uh, doing that sort of thing is, to me, is ridiculous, I mean, you open fire...you not a...yes, you have a permit but you're not trained, uh, you know, this is why we have police forces, this is why we call 911, uh, you know, get somebody on the scene who knows what they're doing."

Nothing like an articulate spokesman for your cause.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:47 AM

2 things jumped out at me.

She wasn't carrying, she had the gun in the console. That may not be relevant in Ohio. In Texas we can carry a gun in the car without a CHL, and have for a long time. That's not that important in the overall story, but the "permit" angle is central to the way the story is told so I may assume you have to have a permit to even have on in the car.

Then the tie in and where the story can be flipped back around, she fired a shot out the open door, sounds like behind he head, as she was pinned down in the seat. Not knowing what or who she was shooting at but it wasn't him. It would be a better ending if she'd gotten the muzzle on him somewhere, whether it was in the gut and he bled out all over the interior of the car or an arm or leg, just somewhere to leave a life lesson for him.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
2 things jumped out at me.

... she fired a shot out the open door, sounds like behind he head, as she was pinned down in the seat. Not knowing what or who she was shooting at but it wasn't him. It would be a better ending if she'd gotten the muzzle on him somewhere....
I get your point, but reading the article: "While lying on her back, with her assailant atop her, Bennett arched her spine, opened the SUV console with her right hand and pulled out her firearm.

"I said, 'I got a gun. Don't make me use it,'" she recalled. "I think my heart was going 90 mph."

While the man tried holding her arm, she fired a shot out of the open passenger door. The assailant had enough. He ran off."

Sounds like when she grabbed the gun, she was trying to shoot him but he was holding her arm, and so the gun went off harmlessly out the door. I give her the benefit of the doubt that she was trying to shoot him the way you describe--holding the gun on him--but he holds her arm away and the gun goes off.

I didn't read it as purposely shooting it out the door not knowing what she may be pointing at....
Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 PM

I hope you are correct and that she was at least attempting to shot the guy and not purposefully shooting out the window.

Thats the one flaw in this story.

The problem with carrying a gun is that the majority of human beings are appalled at the thought of killing another human being. Check out a book called "On Killing" by Dave Grossman. The army has a hell of a time training people to shoot at the enemy with the intent to kill and the figures on the low number of troops that actually shoot to kill is amazing.

While I support everyone's right to carry, I think that most people probably shouldn't carry unless they are CERTAIN that they can shoot to kill and then survive a gunfight emotionally. Nobody in any concealed carry class talks about the emotional aftermath of killing someone in a gunfight.
Sig Sauer 1911 RCS Two Tone