1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 PM

Metro Arms American Classic Amigo range report

I spread a series of range reports for my Amigo around 2-3 threads so I am putting them here where they belong:

I picked up a Metro Arms Amigo officers 3.5" .45 in September for ~$500 and the first 50 rounds went through it like butter - no issue at all, but the main spring seemed a little soft - especially when loading the first round by letting the slide come forward from the locked positn. I had a FTL the first and last round somewhere in the middle of the next 50. Then all Hell broke loose. I had repeated failure to fully chamber, FTL of last and first round and on my last magazine, every single round had to be hand cycled with the slide.

I left the lane and took it to the bench for field stripping. The recoil spring seems to have lost it's temper and could be mashed between my thump and forefinger. The barrel bushing was stuck after what seems to have been a frame strike. I pressed it out with a little trouble and found it deformed slightly. I handed it over to the shop smith (a 1911 man) and he mentioned that he has heard that some people replace the spring right away. Still like the pistola. The fit and finish are very good, there are no machining marks, the ramped barrel is smooth and fits well. No rattle in the slide.

Got my Amigo back a couple Fridays later (my smith took some time off for deer season)- no charge for work. He threw the original spring away and replaced it with a Commander spring cut down to 14 coils. The bushing was replaced and the new one fitted with a little buffing compound. He smoothed the throat, slightly adjusted the extractor spring and trigger pull. Man, the trigger breaks like a sheet of glass now. Anyway, he ran 22 rounds threw it and I put another 285 (Blazer and Wally World Winchester) down range without even wiping the thing off. I only had one FTL and once the slide did not come fully forward. I had to give it an 1/8" push, but both of these issues happened after 250 rounds of dirty, dirty ammo and were due to all the gunk I am sure.

I brought it home, stripped it down, cleaned it thoroughly, lubed it up and will put another 100 through it next week to see how it does, but I think everything will be just fine. Even when filthy and hot, I had 2" ragged holes at 5 meters.

A few notes:
1. Threw the original magazine in my "random gun crap drawer"
2. Have shot it thus far with Chip McCormic and Kimber mags.
3. Grips a little wide
4. No issue so far with any ball ammo, gold dots, or the Hornady HD rounds.
5. Holy crap the free advertising space on the gun takes up the whole left side of the slide and there is a logo inside the hammer...
6. Rapid fire spits the brass out high and a couple have nailed me in the forehead.

Last edited by R. Deschain; 03-01-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Recoil/ main spring
Old 12-15-2011, 03:11 PM

hmmmm?

My experience has been identical... I changed the spring to a 20# wolff for the colt defender... so far so good.. only issue i have now is it tends to fail to return to battery after several hundred rounds from needing to be cleaned i assume... the issues have been with reloads also...

stay tuned.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 AM

So, my Amigo is a keeper. It is both my range gun and an additional CCW that I have carried condition 1 for the last few weeks wih full confidence.

I have poured 500+ additional rounds through it since the post above and only had one issue and that was due to a particular magazine. She has been completely broken in and LOVES factory (doesnt matter which) and reloaded ball ammo. I have put 5 magazines of Speer Gold dot through it as well - full mags, partials, mixed with ball, first round, second round, last round and no FTL or FTE. I can say though that she really likes to be clean and lubed when shooting defense rounds. When clean and loaded with the good stuff, I have no issues with accuracy at all. I put 7 rounds in a three inch group at 25 yards on our last outing together and my standard 3,7,10 yard drills have nice tight ragged holes in the vitals.

Observations and tweaks:
1. The standard grips were way too fat for my dainty hands, so I put a set of VZ carbon slimline grips on. Look and feel great!
2. Like all officer models: concentrate on the Front sight, front sight, front sight.
3. I added grip tape to the front strap and it has helped my control immensely when doing double tap and Mozimbique drills.
4. Left hand rapid fire spits brass into my teeth - uncool, but I am right handed so not a show stopper
5. May change the color of the front sight dot
6. Hates crap magazines. Using CMC and Kimbers, ran a couple of Wilson full sized and no issue, but haven't tried the ten rounder yet.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Bs review

Recoil spring issue, not mainspring.

Last edited by combatives1911; 01-17-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatives1911 View Post
Not BS. It was a recoil spring issue and not the main spring. Sorry that my brain fart offended someone so.

Anyway... I will attach some pics of the gun and slight mods as discussed in previous post. I have another 450ish rounds through it with only one nose dive and one FTE. Both happened with same magazine when the gun was REALLY dirty ~300 rounds that day before issue. I cleaned an lubed it and not issue during next session. It really likes to be greased up.

The gun shoots great and I have been using it as one of my CC sidearms.
Attached Thumbnails
pistola_XSM6.jpg   pistola_XSM7.jpg   pistola_XSM8.jpg  

Last edited by R. Deschain; 03-01-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 PM

I now have 2700 rounds through the Amigo and I have some additional observations.

1. All but 42 rounds have been 230gr FMJ ball of various makes and quality. No squibs though. Handled all about the same except for 100 rounds of Czech stuff from Cabella's. HATED that! 12 FTE, 4 FTL, and unburnt powder was everywhere.
2. You have to change the recoil spring a LOT! Like when you change your socks. I have put 4 in it so far and I need another. Will look into a double spring setup before I replace again.
3. The reverse recoil spring plug split at 1800ish rounds. I am sure it was do to a worn spring. Replaced it with a stainless plug.
4. This is my primary range gun and since it eats springs, I have stopped carrying it as one of my CC guns - I just don't want to think about where I possible am concerning spring life with a tool I am trusting my life to. I now carry my Para Black Watch almost exclusely and the HK45c when I plan on seriously sweating.
5. Really likes to be clean. Last time I was at the range, I wiped the ramp, ran a bore snake a couple of times and spritzed some CLP on the exposed slide rails after each 50 rounds. Ran great until my 4th recoil spring decided to start coughing and sputtering. Will replace before I go to the range again.
6. The Amigo, like every other Officer's Mdl I have ever had/shot, hates a loose grip. FTE if the grip of my primary hand isn't muscled up.

On the whole, I got a good little gun for the money and it is a platform for me to experiment with handloads, I get to tinker with a 1911 platform a little on my bench at home, I can see immediatly what works and doesn't concerning my grip and stance, and is ideal for training my thick head to concentrate on the front sight.

I may have to go to Manila‎ this fall for my J-O-B and if I do than I will head down to Parañaque City (Manila merto area) and see if I can swing a factory tour.

Last edited by R. Deschain; 07-02-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Gud spellin' is my enemy
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 AM

Noobie to Amigo

I'll be taking my new Amigo (blued) to the range for the 3rd time soon. First 2 trips of 200 rounds resulted in several Failure to Load and a few Failure to Eject. The spring was definitely the problem, so I changed it. About to go with a 22# recoil and another 200 rounds. Hope this turns out to be a keeper! I like the good news I've heard so far.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJB View Post
I'll be taking my new Amigo (blued) to the range for the 3rd time soon. First 2 trips of 200 rounds resulted in several Failure to Load and a few Failure to Eject. The spring was definitely the problem, so I changed it. About to go with a 22# recoil and another 200 rounds. Hope this turns out to be a keeper! I like the good news I've heard so far.

How did it go with the new spring?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 AM

I'm no gunsmith but I was an engine builder for two decades and I can tell you that ANY coil spring that fails repeatedly is usually binding when compressed.

Try a good quality spring and cut it shorter than any you have had so far and see if the problem goes away. I know it's a balance between performance and reliability but if that is the problem and you find the "sweet spot" your spring issues may go away.

Generally you start short and shim it tighter and tighter till you find bind. Then you can make a new spring to just short of that distance. On a valve spring or suspension you can measure things and figure it out mathematically but in this case it's probably trial and error.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatives1911 View Post
First post is calling someone's review BS?
and your 2nd post says: "sweet"

Really? Thanks for spreading your vast knowledge on the forum, D-bag!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
I'm no gunsmith but I was an engine builder for two decades and I can tell you that ANY coil spring that fails repeatedly is usually binding when compressed.

Try a good quality spring and cut it shorter than any you have had so far and see if the problem goes away. I know it's a balance between performance and reliability but if that is the problem and you find the "sweet spot" your spring issues may go away.

Generally you start short and shim it tighter and tighter till you find bind. Then you can make a new spring to just short of that distance. On a valve spring or suspension you can measure things and figure it out mathematically but in this case it's probably trial and error.
First time I have been given that advice, makes sense though. When I had the 24# spring it would bind a little, but I hadn't noticed it with the 22#. I have 324 rounds on the current one - my OCD is acting up ;-). Based on previous replacement timeing for Wollfe springs, I should have between 150 and 250 rounds left before I start with the failure to return to battery issue. I will clip a loop off tomorrow while I am scrubbing it down (shot Thursday night) and see how long it lasts - if there is any difference. If so, then I will start whittling them down until I find the perfect length/spacing.

Thank you for pointing me to a possible solution. If it works out I will post and will have enough stock of 22#ers to least into my old age.

Last edited by R. Deschain; 09-30-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Lost Post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Deschain View Post
How did it go with the new spring?
R. Deschain,
I posted a lengthy Range Report SOMEWHERE on this forum, but can't seem to find it. (At least, I THINK it was here....). I'll do some searching and get back with you. I experienced some interesting events that I wanted you to see and comment on. More soon....
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Found the Lost Post: MY Amigo Range Report

Quote:
R. Deschain,
I posted a lengthy Range Report SOMEWHERE on this forum, but can't seem to find it. (At least, I THINK it was here....). I'll do some searching and get back with you. I experienced some interesting events that I wanted you to see and comment on. More soon....
Okay...I knew I posted it on this forum somewhere, and I found it. Please visit the thread, "American Classic Amigo first impressions (PICS)" for my detailed range report....especially posts #25-26.

Question for R. Deschain,
On 1-04-12 you referred to your Amigo as a "Keeper" and that you will begin using it as an "additional CCW." Six months later on 7-02-12 you noted in the same thread that you "stopped carrying" the Amigo as your "CC gun" and began to use it as your "primary range gun." Have you given up on the reliability of the Amigo? Have you considered contacting Eagle Imports or Metro Arms (in the Philippines) about warranty work, or is it too late for that?

Just curious. Had big hopes of making my Amigo a dependable carry.

Last edited by SierraJB; 10-13-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Question for R. Deschain,
On 1-04-12 you referred to your Amigo as a "Keeper" and that you will begin using it as an "additional CCW." Six months later on 7-02-12 you noted in the same thread that you "stopped carrying" the Amigo as your "CC gun" and began to use it as your "primary range gun." Have you given up on the reliability of the Amigo? Have you considered contacting Eagle Imports or Metro Arms (in the Philippines) about warranty work, or is it too late for that?

Just curious. Had big hopes of making my Amigo a dependable carry.
Six months of shooting every week can change things.... It is a keeper. I love this little gun. The spring issue - inherent to most 3.5" 1911s - is the only real draw back, but I have continued to mess with it, work on it, fiddle with things the entire time i have had it. No major mods, just some polish here, a tune there sort of thing

If I replaced the spring, shot ~8 magazines to make double sure and then carried it - no issue what so ever with this being a 100%, all day every day, CCW. my issue is that I shoot the thing all the time -a least once a week - and it runs great 98% of the time.

I have worked on the spring issue and now use a cut and tuned (I chopped 1/8" off at a time with each trip to the range for a month) a colt 22# spring. I polished the cut ends and keep it almost wet and I am now getting 3-4 times the spring life. The one I have in now has almost 900 rounds on it and there have only been a couple of FTE issues on the last round (mag issue or grip issue most probable cause). A quality smith could, I am sure, do exactly the same thing, I just like working on it and I have had poor luck finding a true 1911 smith locally. I allowed a gentleman to butcher another 3.5 inch I have and my heart is still a little sick over it, so I am hesitant to try again.

While it is not my primary carry I have started carrying it here and there again. In fact, I had it on when my wife and i went out to dinner for our 6th anniversary recently.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Sure sounds like you have it dialed in. Now if you could find a really good quality spring with those exact specs (diameter, free length, closed and open tension, etc) when new you would probably never, or rarely, have to change it again.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
Sure sounds like you have it dialed in. Now if you could find a really good quality spring with those exact specs (diameter, free length, closed and open tension, etc) when new you would probably never, or rarely, have to change it again.
I think I have the spring perfect for MY pistol now - I would gaurentee that would work as well in someone else's pistol. I took Jim_L's suggestion to heart and that work seems to be the solution I was missing - thank you for that. I made copious notes (calipers, scale, gauge....) while fiddling with it and have the right length, coil count, and tension recorded. It should only take me a few minutes to cut a stock 22# Colt stainless next time. I checked the manufacturing tollerence and even with the possible variation swing, I should be fine.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Seems like a lot of effort to get a 98% reliable gun. And, you should be getting many thousands of rounds out of a recoil spring. For a range project, fine. But I don't think I'd carry it with that record.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 PM

It has been said that time and patience are the greatest of warriors... Both have proven to me that MY Amigo has issues that I have come to believe are beyond my skills: Just when I think it is dialed it, something happens. Lord knows that I have tried... I love the feel and look of this gun and it pains me that I have had so much trouble with a firearm that I have wanted to love and carry.

I have been methodical in the investigation, documentation and attempts to fix my spring issues, to the point that I have contemplated resorting to voodoo. I went to the range on the 15th and my third magazine witnessed all kinds of havoc: stove pipe, FTL, FTE, and a slide/frame strike - the Recoil spring/guide rod channel and the linkage arm are pretty marred. For the last 8 weeks it had been fine, then it just wasn't.

The LGS that I bought it from has changed hands and does not currently have an FFL and won't touch the thing, not even to send it in for warrenty repair. I am one step below done. I have sent it off to the official warranty center so that they can go through it. If it doesn't run like butter when it comes back then I will be looking into my options.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 AM

Have you looked into the Wilson Combat flat coil springs? Being a flat wire, they are not going to bind like a round wire can.

I'm not sure if they make one in the Officer's size, but maybe it can be cut to fit.

Also, have you contacted Metro Arms directly? I have and found them very receptive.

"I Miss America"
Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 AM

I just got a Metro Arms Amigo and field stripped it before taking it out to fire it. The dadgummed slide stop was cracked and fell apart when I went to reinstall it. I want to replace it with a carbon steel heat treated one but I'm not sure if the pistol is mil-spec or not. Anyone know what slide stop I should get? This is my first 1911 and I don't want to mess it up.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjjusa View Post
I just got a Metro Arms Amigo and field stripped it before taking it out to fire it. The dadgummed slide stop was cracked and fell apart when I went to reinstall it. I want to replace it with a carbon steel heat treated one but I'm not sure if the pistol is mil-spec or not. Anyone know what slide stop I should get? This is my first 1911 and I don't want to mess it up.
Take it back to your LGS or send it in for warrantee repair. If broken out of the box then have it made right before you start tinkering with it.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 PM

R. Deschain I have a new Amigo on order and looking forward to it's arrival. You mentioned using a "Colt #22 spring". How much do you suggest cutting off for best performance?

This will be my first Metro Arms product. Opted for it over the Kimber because of price.
And intend to use it or CC and don't care too much about the appearance.