1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 PM

sig scorpion problem

I purchased a Sig Scorpion a few weeks ago and really like the gun but have noticed a problem with it and wanted to know if anyone else have had a similar problem. First off when I bought it I ran 100 rounds of PMC 230gr FMJ thru it and it ran flawlessly. I then shot a few 230gr Hydra shoks. All ran great. I tried some factory Hornady 230gr XTP and the gun was sticking before it went into full battery. The bullet fed in and the slide stopped less than a quarter inch from full battery. I pushed the slide all the way in and then I tried to eject the round manually but it was locked up and it took a few minutes of pulling on the slide to get it open. All the XTP did the same.

I handloaded some 200gr LSWC to 1.250 in and the problem was worse. The gun locked up and when the slide came back it actually pulled the bullet and left it in the barrel. There were not any rifling marks on the bullet just one mark all the way around. The bullets are hitting the shoulder inside the chamber. I have to sink the bullets under 1.190 to have it feed. Once the bullets are under that it feeds and works perfectly. I also tried some 230gr Lead truncated cone bullets with same result. I have also tried Factory Remington Golden Saber 185gr +P and they feed good but they measure 1.204 in. I am not sure of the measurement of the XTP ammo.

I am unsure whether to get a new barrel or call Sig Customer Service and talk to them. I know shooting handloads violates the warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:35 AM

The critical measurement on SWCs isn't the OAL. It's the height of the shoulder above the brass. The shoulder is what it rides on into the chamber. The XTP is a weird duck, shape wise, too.

It could very well be that your gun just doesn't like XTPs at the factory length. That's one reason they say you should fire a bunch of the SD load you expect to use to make sure your gun works with it.

For the record I have to load flatpoints as short as possible while still having some shoulder barely over the brass to cycle 100% reliably in my Sig 1911. And I do mean 100%. And as I said, with SWCs it's about how much lead shoulder is over the brass, not the OAL. That narrow long nose isn't likely to hit anything.

I wouldn't assume anything is wrong. The fact that it feeds two of the worst bullet shapes possible when they are seated the way it likes them is a good sign. You just had to discover what that depth is, and you did. It appears the only thing it doesn't like is the 230 grain factory XTP.

Last edited by cobrabubbles; 10-28-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen quite a few 1911's that have trouble chambering semi wad cutters unless they are set up for them specifically.

I suspect the factory chamber depth is too short for some of the ammo you are running or the cases are too long. Bullet profile is a key factor too.

Last edited by custom2; 10-28-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 PM

Thanks guys that is what I needed to know. I'm glad it is not something to worry about.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:20 AM

If it feeds 1.19 to 1.21 OAL then its a 1911 LOL, for the shooters that want the "special" ammo, then a feed ramp and throat and chamber polish is the ticket. Experianced pistolsmith will have that pistol feeding empty brass.
Everything has trade offs though. I'd go to different defensive round. JMO
Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM

No, you are not alone. I have had some of the same issues with my reloads, especially my 200gr RNFP's. Once I got the length right, all started working.

FWIW, I went through the same process with my CZ's, as they have no throat in them to speak of either.

-Mark
Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 AM

I experienced a somewhat similar situation with my new full-length Sig 1911SS. Certain brands of factory ammo fed fine whereas certain other brands didn't, and my handloads didn't feed well through that particular gun either. However, these same rounds all fed correctly through my Colt Defender and S&W 1911SC-E.

In my particular case I determined that the degree of case mouth crimp was the issue. Some manufacturers seem to crimp the case mouth a bit tighter than others, and my handloads were not crimped quite enough either. I adjusted my crimping die to crimp the handloads just a bit heavier and they then fed fine. Also, I re-crimped the factory ammo. that at first did not feed correctly and those rounds then slid smoothly up the feed ramp.

As an aside, I experienced the exact problem the OP described with my Sig P238 .380 pistol when shooting handloads using certain brands of JHP bullets. In that case the cure was to seat the bullets just a bit deeper into the cases for an OAL of .95" versus the more standard .97". Once that was done, problem solved.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Wilson Combat Mags...problem solved