1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > STI/SVI

Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 AM

STI Spartan 9mm review

I recently found a good deal on 9mm Spartans by STI. These are basic enhanced 1911's (beavertail, Bomar style sights, fiber optic front sight, etc...) that are made with Rock Island Armory frames, slides and barrels. The small parts are all STI. I used to have an STI Trojan in 9mm and currently own an STI VIP in 9mm so I am fully aware of their reliability in 9mm. The only apprehension I felt was due to the fact that unlike most STI's in 9mm these don't have ramped barrels. I found this to be a non issue once I fired the gun.

This 1911 is super tight. There is no play in the slide to frame fit or barrel lock-up. The trigger breaks cleanly at 5lbs and overtravel is set at the factory. The gun comes with one Metalform 9 round magazine that works perfectly. It also has a full length guide rod which was promptly removed. The gun has a nice parkerzied black finish, wood grips (had wood grips), and a plastic MSH. I have replaced the grips with VZ diamonds, added some grip tape, replaced the grip screws, replaced the FLGR w/ a traditional Wilson Bullet Proof set up, and have ordered a new Wilson extended mag release and EGW MSH/magwell.

On her first trip out she did not skip a beat. there were no failures of any kind. The sights were perfectly dialed in from the factory. I was able to get constant tight groups at 10 and 15 yards. IMHO for under $600 the STI Spartan 9mm cannot be beat.

next to my latest other 1911 purchase...

first magazine at 10 yards unsuported

target brought out to 15 yards for 50 rounds

Old 10-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Looks good. Got to love the 1911 in 9.
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Great gun for the price and nice shooting!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM

STI Spartan

Quote:
9mm Spartans by STI. These are basic enhanced 1911's (beavertail, Bomar style sights, fiber optic front sight, etc...) that are made with Rock Island Armory frames, slides and barrels.
I thought Armscor made the frames and slide in the Phillipines for STI guns. Is RIA owned by Armscor?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 PM

[QUOTE=richpetrone;3493077]I thought Armscor made the frames and slide in the Phillipines for STI guns. Is RIA owned by Armscor?[/QUOTE

Yes, Armscor owns RIA, Citadel, and Charles Daly names.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM

I had erratic ejection issues with my spartan 9 right out of the box. Im still working through the issue but I ended up having to install an extended ejector from Dawson precision. It is accurate and offers some nice features for a sub 600 dollar gun, but I find the finish on the frame lacking. Overall Im happy with my purchase as well.

Edit- I thought the only armscor part was the frame? I thought the slide was an STI part?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 PM

I added an Wilson extended mag release and EGW magwell. I think this is it for the upgrades. I might fit the magwell better later (there is a 1mm gap between the bottom of the frame and the magwell legs) but thats about it.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 PM

nice work
Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 AM

Dusty,
What kind of barrel setup do you have? It looks awesome, bull barrel I assume. How hard was it to install? I agree that the spartan is a heck of a deal, especially since you can upgrade it with the money you save.