1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Q: Are all Springfield 1911 madein Brazil? A: NO

So When I do research here online to find out if springfield 1911s are all made in brazil, I get different answers all the time from folks here. So I decided to call Springfield Armory (Twice. just to make sure) earlier today, and both representative I talked to said that NOT all SA 1911s are made or manufactured in Brazil. and told me that Serial number prefix I.e . NM or N etc.. doesn't mean anything. If the 1911 have a 'Made in Brazil' sign by the serial number it means it is made in brazil. If a 1911 have Genesio IL USA on the side of the frame by the serial number and have a 'Imbel' sign under the dust cover and/or by the right side grip of the gun, It means 51% or more parts of the gun are made in brazil and assembled here in the US of A. If it only said Genesio IL and no marking of 'Imbel' anywhere on the frame, it means that it is made and assembled here by SA custom shop. small parts are ordered from different places. barrel are by storm lake.
I just thought I'd share with you guys especially for the guys who still unsure where their SA 1911s are made from.

Lucky me both of my MC Operator and Mil-spec are made and assembled here in the U.S. its funny that both of my Springer 1911 have the same Prefix serial number which is.... "NM"
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM

NM serial numbered frames are American made, though the metal comes from Brazil. For some reason, the metal coming from Brazil bothers some people.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Just because it has an NM on it doesn't mean that it has anything to do with the "Custom Shop". Springfield has a standard assembly department that handles EVERY 1911 other than the Custom Shop models that you have to wait 12-18 months for.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM

How much more beating can this dead horse take?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:31 AM

I can understand to a degree why some people are upset about sending jobs overseas, outsourcing, and etc.

I never bought American cars before the economy took a crap, and nowdays I just feel better about keeping somebody working here than in Croatia where the polymers are made. The U.S. built 1911s cost the same, function the same, and look the same as the Brazilian built 1911s, so I really don't care.

If you're a diehard for American products, you should be buying Rugers...
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 AM

On my old Mil Spec it has FI Brazil on it. The folks at Springfield told me that meant "Forged in Brazil" and it was completely assembled at Geneseo. It has just an N in the serial number. Makes me wonder.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
It almost makes me wish I didn't buy a Springfield, so I didn't have to see this topic come up on these forums week after week. Almost. N or NM they're all great guns.

Last edited by AceMonkey; 10-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:17 PM

That statement sums it up. Not only are they great guns for the money, they back them up with a lifetime, no b.s. warranty.

Thread dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMonkey View Post
N or NM their all great guns.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM

That is funny, people getting bothered by that - go check where the forges for Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, .... comes from - Korea?

S&A gives you lifetime warranty on their guns, and their customer service is second to none on the 1911 world.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:03 PM

Jest sos ya knows

I hope you know that when you go direct to the source and get definitive, credible answers, it really ruins the speculative BS revelry that makes the internet a wondrous refuge of baseless pontification.

Sayin'.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 AM

Springfield-Made in Brazil??

The problem I have is that Springfield does not disclose the fact that some of their frames, pistols or combination thereof could possibly be made in Brazil. For example I look at every picture they have on their website and all of their 1911’s have the “Geneseo, IL” stamp on them. Not one of them has the words “Brazil” or “Imbel”. I find this very strange. If the men and women at Springfield are truly proud of their work and stand by their products then why not let their hard working customers know that it is possible that the 1911 they are about to buy might have been made somewhere else other than the US?

This fact is nowhere to be found on their website. The fact that one has to call them to attain this information is very disheartening. Is this due to deceptive business practices or false marketing/advertising? I am not sure but I know that one thing…if I go to a company’s website and see a picture of a product that I am thinking about buying and on that product it has a U.S. city and state stamped on it then I expect that product to be made in the U.S. unless otherwise stated on their website. This makes me believe they want to show the public one thing and ship their customer another.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 AM

The fact is it really doesnt matter and they have no obligation to tell you where certain parts are made or where the metals from. Its not deceptive or dishonest in any way. Anyone making it out to be something that its not needs to let it go. Your not an "all 'merican" because you tout to buying only american made. The fact of the matter, regardless of whether or not you want to hear it, is a lot of people would bitch and moan about the higher cost associated with all american made parts AND many MANY things made outside this country are just as high if not higher quaility than things made in the USA.

Last edited by Adrenaline-Junkie; 10-27-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline-Junkie View Post
The fact is it really doesnt matter and they have no obligation to tell you where certain parts are made or where the metals from. Its not deceptive or dishonest in any way. Anyone making it out to be something that its not needs to let it go. Your not an "all 'merican" because you tout to buying only american made. The fact of the matter, regardless of whether or not you want to hear it, is a lot of people would bitch and moan about the higher cost associated with all american made parts AND many MANY things made outside this country are just as high if not higher quaility than things made in the USA.
I`m afraid your idea that corporations have no obligation to disclose where their products and parts are made shows a lack of knowledge on your part. There are all kinds of laws governing imports and especially firearms and the disclosure of where they are made and how much content can be foreign. Guns happen to be highly regulated, as they should. Are you saying citizens have no right to ask where products are produced. Many corporations have been deceptive in the way they disclose content to the public but that will be coming to a end sooner than later. `
Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 AM

A few makers use forgings that come from Korea, but do you think they disclose that?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjc View Post
I`m afraid your idea that corporations have no obligation to disclose where their products and parts are made shows a lack of knowledge on your part. There are all kinds of laws governing imports and especially firearms and the disclosure of where they are made and how much content can be foreign. Guns happen to be highly regulated, as they should. Are you saying citizens have no right to ask where products are produced. Many corporations have been deceptive in the way they disclose content to the public but that will be coming to a end sooner than later. `
Id say your post shows lack of knowledge on your part as well and in some ways complete ignorance. I suppose i worded my post a little wrong but what i said still stands. Like you said, guns are highly regulated. Springfield and others are disclosing all information they have to in one way or another or they would get cracked down on. Just because its not in bold letters on their website or on the guns themselves doesnt matter at all. If it means that much to you, stop being lazy and take the time to figure out where that information is supposed to be by law and look there. Disclosure doesnt mean it has to be in your face and the first thing you easily see. I didnt in any way say citizens dont have the right to ask or know where thigns are from, thats just a stupid comment on your part. If anything corporations feel the need to be "deceptive" (as you put it, although not the best word for the situation imo) because of idiots who think a product lacks quality since its not from the USA. Believe it or not, this country pumps out crap products just like any other country. USA Made/Made in the USA is nothing more than a sales gimmick for the most part today (yes, there are some exceptions).
Old 10-27-2011, 11:25 AM

My GI is all IMBEL. Just the way I like it! Think I'm gonna' get another!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tap View Post
I hope you know that when you go direct to the source and get definitive, credible answers, it really ruins the speculative BS revelry that makes the internet a wondrous refuge of baseless pontification.

Sayin'.

One of these two statements is true:
  • There are no facts on the internet.
  • Everything is a fact on the internet.
It is bad to have to fight. It is worse to have to fight and lose.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 PM

all Springfield guns are made in America!

north and south America
Old 10-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausher View Post
all Springfield guns are made in America!

north and south America
Old 10-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm091385 View Post
If the 1911 have a 'Made in Brazil' sign by the serial number it means it is made in brazil.

If a 1911 have Genesio IL USA on the side of the frame by the serial number and have a 'Imbel' sign under the dust cover and/or by the right side grip of the gun, It means 51% or more parts of the gun are made in brazil and assembled here in the US of A.
So what does it mean when my gun has ALL of them?

And what does S.I. mean?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Dang, I thought I know my way around this topic, but the picture above^^^^^^^^^ really threw my knowledge out of synch.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 PM

Redacted.

Last edited by Horoscope Fish; 10-28-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:22 PM

Why would it matter where they're made?

I've never understood this obsession about SA 1911s.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Why would it matter where they're made?

I've never understood this obsession about SA 1911s.
Only Americans know how to make a decent gun. Everybody knows that
It is bad to have to fight. It is worse to have to fight and lose.
Closed Thread