1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Old 10-08-2011, 04:57 AM

Would appreciate help with parts I'm thinking of getting :D

Hi, I have a taurus pt1911 and fall in love with it every time I take it to the range. I want to update it with some parts and would like to know if I need to do any machining or get a gunsmith to install any of these parts.

The reason they're mostly amazon because I have some credit and want to splurge on my 1911

----------------------------------------------------

Tritium Night Sights

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Compensator (I want more weight on the muzzle to keep recoil down)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AT7LX64DTM538

Magazines

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AHNUK4YLMUFXH

Magwell

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-SMITH-A...item51988617b3

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:01 AM

Also does anyone know where I could buy a slide part just like this?

Last edited by SnowCrash; 10-08-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:20 AM

Snow Crash,

I would stay away from the bushing-style compensator. A good bushing is hand fitted to your barrel. A one size fits all gimmick could likely bugger the accuracy of your pistol, big time.

As far as the night sights go, the Taurus PT-1911 has a Taurus-specific dovetail cut in the slide for Taurus-specific Heinie or Taurus sights.
Brownells sells these sights, and if you use them you won't likely need gunsmithing to stick them on.

In all honesty, if you just want something that looks like they gun in the picture, then you might be able to ad on some doo-dads that will resemble what you want.
If you want a truly functional and accurate pistol that you will be proud of, then you will need to sent it to a gunsmith. lest you ruin what you've already got.

Good Luck.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 AM

...or just continue to tick off the world because our Taurus PT1911s can't possibly run, are made with soft steel, with cheap sights, bad trigger, hammer, slide stops, inferior MiM parts and...you name it...yet it just keeps running and running...

...does that mean I think the Taurus PT1911 is the best 1911 pattern pistol out there...nope...does it mean I am pleased with my own PT1911 AL...YUP!...does it mean there can be a lot of value in the Taurus offering???...uh huh...

Enjoy it...good luck on your choices...Burgs gave you great advice...you can change the sights to Tritiums but you have to buy the one's made for the Taurus proprietary dovetail...both Novak's and Heinie make a version specifically for Taurus PT1911 pistols...

Bill
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM

thanks for all the help guys. I want to learn some gunsmithing myself and thought I would start out small with this sort of stuff. Anyone know of a compensator that would be great for the pt1911?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:06 PM

If your PT has Novak sights on it your other option would be to get in touch with them. I'm sure they {Novak}can hook you up with night sights.
As far as mags go, I use Tripp Cobra and Mec Gar. They both work great. If you want some 10 rounders, the Tripps are the tits.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 PM

I've got heinie straight eight on it, the link in my first post seems to fit taurus 1911, as it says so in the description and googling the company says they make them for pt1911....I think I want to go with a compensator first to see if I can cut down the recoil a bit, and maybe go with a couple of 10 round mags- they all seem to be 30 bucks a piece no matter what brand though
Old 10-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

Night sights for Taurus? I would look at the heinie. They are the only name in the industry that offers both three dot horizontal and two dot vertical for Taurus specific applications and others as well. Just go to heinie precision and click on Taurus 1911 or give Sara Davis a call.

Other parts? I am kind of partial to nighthawk and brown for hammers, sears and disconnectors. Grieder makes a good trigger and many triggers out there are repackaged Grieders. Wilson has a good replacement trigger, too. Wilson has a pretty good replacement series 80 extractor. Barrel bushing? Kart, brown or egw. The s and a magwell has been around awhile. Lots of folks use them. Newer ones may need some blending if you are particular. Good luck and show us the parts you pick, e bay or other.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 PM

I would do some research on compensators. From what I read they are not very effective on 45's although you don't state what calibur you have. As I understand it you need a higher velocity bullet to make the compensator do much. A compensator won't change felt recoil much if at all, it just helps keep the muzzle down.

Installing new sights is not horribly difficult but can be fubared if you are not carefull! File on the sight not the dovetail! Dawson sights have good instructions and include a sight pushing punch! Watch the u-tube video!. As stated you will need sights for the taurus dovetail. Dawson had them in varied heights. Needed one to correct my low shooting taurus.

If you put on a magwell you will want mags with a extended basepad. The mainspring housing will probably need to be fitted to your gripsafety. May or may not be drop in.

Midway has wilson mags with the extended basepad on sale for less than the amazon ones.

The slide is on a tuarus a duotone. No idea if you can get the slide alone. Taurus doesn't like to sell parts. With the lifetime warrenty they will tell you to send it in. They don't like it if you send in a pistol with aftermarket parts installed!

Last edited by hattrick; 10-08-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:51 AM

Thanks again for all the input.

My caliber is .45 and I know about the compensator issue with low velocity rounds, I mainly want it to keep the muzzle down. From reviews the users are saying that wilson bushing-style compensator is very good at what it does and reduced the recoil/muzzle rise by 1/3. Not sure if it's psychological, but I sure hope it really is that effective
Old 10-09-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCrash View Post
I've got heinie straight eight on it, the link in my first post seems to fit taurus 1911, as it says so in the description and googling the company says they make them for pt1911....I think I want to go with a compensator first to see if I can cut down the recoil a bit, and maybe go with a couple of 10 round mags- they all seem to be 30 bucks a piece no matter what brand though
Why blow $30 on a mag?!?!

If your gun is mostly used at the range, get some CMC Shooting Star mags. Watch MidwayUSA, they have sales on them regularly for around $14-$15. Also, Metalform, same price range.

I have 3 CMC Powermags, strictly for when I carry concealed.

~~ A gun in the hand is always better than a cop on the phone. ~~