1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM

Sig Sauer 1911-22

I wanted to give subscribers a heads up concerning Sig's 1911-22. Basically it is a GSG 1911 with Sig grips and it is a piece of junk. I would warn anyone thinking of buying one to not do it. I have had mine since May of this year and it has been back at Sig (GSG) two times already ( broken return spring, broken guide rod) and after tonight it will be three. Here is what happened tonight. I went to the range tonight to shoot the 1911-22. All was well until about the 30th round when the pistol stove piped a round and it had a funny smell and some smoke coming from the chamber and the barrel. I inspected the gun and everyhting looked OK so I continued. I fired 10 more rounds without trouble. I reloaded and began to shoot 10 more rounds when a blast of hot air, smoke, and shards of metal were blown back into my face. I cleared the weapon of the mag and pullled the slide back and locked it. To my surprise, there was a 2 1/2 inch crack running along the left side of the slide from the back to just before the ejection port. I had safety glasses on so there was no serious injury to my face. I have pictures but do not know how to post them. Here is a link to a similar incident. My gun has the exact same pattern of damage.

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16800

I repeat DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman002 View Post
I wanted to give subscribers a heads up concerning Sig's 1911-22. Basically it is a GSG 1911 with Sig grips and it is a piece of junk. I would warn anyone thinking of buying one to not do it. I have had mine since May of this year and it has been back at Sig (GSG) two times already ( broken return spring, broken guide rod) and after tonight it will be three. Here is what happened tonight. I went to the range tonight to shoot the 1911-22. All was well until about the 30th round when the pistol stove piped a round and it had a funny smell and some smoke coming from the chamber and the barrel. I inspected the gun and everyhting looked OK so I continued. I fired 10 more rounds without trouble. I reloaded and began to shoot 10 more rounds when a blast of hot air, smoke, and shards of metal were blown back into my face. I cleared the weapon of the mag and pullled the slide back and locked it. To my surprise, there was a 2 1/2 inch crack running along the left side of the slide from the back to just before the ejection port. I had safety glasses on so there was no serious injury to my face. I have pictures but do not know how to post them. Here is a link to a similar incident. My gun has the exact same pattern of damage.

Wow sure glad that you were not hurt by this..... How many rounds have you put through the gun? I bought a GSG a few months ago on a whim without doing any research but thus far I'm really happy with the gun and while I've seen a few folks here have a minor issue or two with their's the masses of GSG 1911 owners here seem to be quite happy with them even after thousands of rounds. Hopefully you and the other seemingly isolated case of slide crack just managed to get a defective gun?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:20 PM

To date I have run about 700-800 rounds through it all of which were name brand HV rounds as recommended. As far as the crack is concerned, it may happen to just a few of the guns but that does not help the one or two people that are injured in the process. When I get back whatever they send me new or repaired it is going up for sale!!!! I will go back to shooting my Colt 45 Special Combat Government. Expensive but safe to shoot

Last edited by fishman002; 09-30-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Sig 1911-22

I have two sig 1911-22 on order , shocked to here this I have herd nothing but good about this pistol a guy at the gun club has over a 1000 round through his with a few FTF and a few stovepipes but that it... for 350.00 I thought I would give one a try now my wife wants one also.....
Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVOMIKE View Post
I have two sig 1911-22 on order , shocked to here this I have herd nothing but good about this pistol a guy at the gun club has over a 1000 round through his with a few FTF and a few stovepipes but that it... for 350.00 I thought I would give one a try now my wife wants one also.....
I know that I will NOT lose any sleep over what appears to be two highly isolated occurrences; the GSG 1911-22LR has a pretty darn good following both here and on another forum that I frequent to which this is the first I've heard of such failures. I compare to Toyota how many cars did they recall for braking issues to which I don't know a single person who owns a Toyota and actually had any issues with theirs..... If we got rid of every single possession that we owned for no other reason than someone else proclaimed theirs to be a POS we we have absolutely ZERO possessions.

But I will remain watchful of the gun as I am with them all....
Old 10-02-2011, 04:28 PM

I took the pistol back to my dealer yesterday and they credited me for the full amount (store credit). What they told me was that GSG makes the lower for both guns but Sig makes thier own upper and it is designed differently than the GSG upper. He said like the misquito, they have seen a lot of problems out of the SIG parts of the gun. He went on to say that the full GSG gun performs well and they have sold a lot of them with very little problems. If you take the time to do some research, I am sure you will come across more than a few incidents where the SIG has failed. In my case, I was lucky not to be injured. One injury by a defective firearm is one to many in my opinion. You might feel the same way if you were standing behind it when it flew apart!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cro View Post
I know that I will NOT lose any sleep over what appears to be two highly isolated occurrences; the GSG 1911-22LR has a pretty darn good following both here and on another forum that I frequent to which this is the first I've heard of such failures. I compare to Toyota how many cars did they recall for braking issues to which I don't know a single person who owns a Toyota and actually had any issues with theirs..... If we got rid of every single possession that we owned for no other reason than someone else proclaimed theirs to be a POS we we have absolutely ZERO possessions.

But I will remain watchful of the gun as I am with them all....
As far a Toyota goes, if you all remember recently there was an incident where throttles were sticking open on just a hand full of cars and Toyota launched a massive recall of 2.3 million vehicles which they installed a redesigned gas pedal assembly on as a precaution. MOST (99.99%) of them did not have any problems either but the problem still existed with a very small percentage of the vehicles. Responsible manufacturers do this to avoid injuries and law suits.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I took the pistol back to my dealer yesterday and they credited me for the full amount (store credit). What they told me was that GSG makes the lower for both guns but Sig makes thier own upper and it is designed differently than the GSG upper. He said like the misquito, they have seen a lot of problems out of the SIG parts of the gun. He went on to say that the full GSG gun performs well and they have sold a lot of them with very little problems. If you take the time to do some research, I am sure you will come across more than a few incidents where the SIG has failed. In my case, I was lucky not to be injured. One injury by a defective firearm is one to many in my opinion. You might feel the same way if you were standing behind it when it flew apart!
Fishman, I'm truly pleased to know that you were not hurt when your gun failed and I'm even more pleased to know that no young member of your family was injured..... But it stops there for me when you proclaim that because of your failure and one other undocumented failure that these guns are a piece of junk and that we should not buy one. Well I've already bought one and so has a lot of other people on this forum; what should we do stop shooting ours because you have proclaimed them to be an unsafe POS?

You have a good day; I'm done here....
Old 10-02-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if that is true. I dont think Sig makes anything on that gun. Custom2 could fill us in on that one.

Last edited by Mags; 10-02-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:32 PM

Not meaning to be disrespectful but consider yourself warned. Click on the link below. Mine looks pretty much the same way. I just don't know how to post my pictures on this forum. How much more proof do you need?

Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Another failure llink. This time it is the frame!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...roblems-39749/
Old 10-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Not meaning to be disrespectful but consider yourself warned. Click on the link below. Mine looks pretty much the same way. I just don't know how to post my pictures on this forum. How much more proof do you need?

Don't worry I considered myself "informed" when you posted this link in your OP.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:07 PM

GSG guide rod failure. This happened to mine the second time it was sent back to Sig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_X3STQTws
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Another failure llink. This time it is the frame!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...roblems-39749/
Are you seriously on a crusade here? The OP of the thread you linked to himself commented that the damage to the frame was so insignificant that he was not going to even bother sending it in as it had absolutely no effect to the safe operation of the gun.

It also occurred to me that the OP could have caused his own damage as he did remove parts from the gun in the very same area that the damage occurred. Due to the small pictures on an iPhone I'm not real clear on just what he did here.

Last edited by T Cro; 10-02-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Which parts did he remove? I missed that.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Do you have any pic that you can post....
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM

Sig Sauer 1911 22

Got my new sig 1911-22 this week , took her to the range today 100 rounds down range FLAWLESS
Old 12-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Cracked Slide on Sig 1911-22

My Sig 1911-22 was 2 months old, had about 400 rounds through it and the slide cracked. Unfortunately, it was in the hands of a friends 12 year old son. It was his first time at the range. He was sprayed with bits of aluminum alloy and hot gasses. No major injuries, but it ruined his first impression of shooting.

After looking around the internet, I've found many instances of the same slide failure. As a previous poster mentioned, avoid these guns!

http://1911forum.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1324252627
Attached Thumbnails
100_1198.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaShooter View Post
My Sig 1911-22 was 2 months old, had about 400 rounds through it and the slide cracked. Unfortunately, it was in the hands of a friends 12 year old son. It was his first time at the range. He was sprayed with bits of aluminum alloy and hot gasses. No major injuries, but it ruined his first impression of shooting.

After looking around the internet, I've found many instances of the same slide failure. As a previous poster mentioned, avoid these guns!

http://1911forum.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1324252627
Thanks for the info. Looks like there are a few others posts here and other forums about this same problem.
I looked at one of the 1911-22's and liked it. Was going to pick one up when my LGS got another one in. Not now after this.
To bad it is a nice looking pistol.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:42 PM

I really wanted this gun to work, especially for the price. BTW, I spoke with Sig Customer Service today. Nice and polite, but couldn't believe I had this problem. Immediately tried to blame it on the ammo and said they hadn't heard of any other problems like this. I'm starting to feel jerked around already..........
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
After looking around the internet, I've found many instances of the same slide failure.
That's odd.
Yours is the only one I found.

There were initial reports of broken guide rods but GSG/Sig has addressed this by redesigning the guide rod, guide rod plug, spring, and have added a steel barrel bushing.

Mine came right out of the box with all of the upgraded parts and I've put around 500 rounds through it with no issues.
I understand your frustration, but I wouldn't necessarily advise folks to "avoid this gun" based on an isolated incident.
Hopefully Sig will make good on the warranty and ship you a new gun with no hassles.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Can't wait to get out with mine, just picked it up about a week and a half ago. I got the OD that Cabela's had as a door buster, of course their price was what most dealers were already selling them for and it matches my sig 522 just right.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I really wanted this gun to work, especially for the price. BTW, I spoke with Sig Customer Service today. Nice and polite, but couldn't believe I had this problem. Immediately tried to blame it on the ammo and said they hadn't heard of any other problems like this. I'm starting to feel jerked around already..........
So what are they doing for you?
Ineptocracy (in-ep-tocí-ra-cy) - a system of government where those least capable to lead are elected by those least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves, or to succeed at anything, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of an ever-diminishing number of producers.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino2.0 View Post
That's odd.
Yours is the only one I found.

There were initial reports of broken guide rods but GSG/Sig has addressed this by redesigning the guide rod, guide rod plug, spring, and have added a steel barrel bushing.

Mine came right out of the box with all of the upgraded parts and I've put around 500 rounds through it with no issues.
I understand your frustration, but I wouldn't necessarily advise folks to "avoid this gun" based on an isolated incident.
Hopefully Sig will make good on the warranty and ship you a new gun with no hassles.
Google 1911-22 cracked slide and you should find more than one. I found one in Hawaii, one in Minnesota, etc. Counting mine, there are three or four in this thread. I stopped at around 10 guns and all were cracked in the same place. The timeframe seems to be from the last week in October to the present. There were a lot of posts about the failures that you mentioned prior to that timeframe. I don't consider any those dangerous to the shooter. A slide blowing up in your face is a different matter. That's how I justify saying "avoid these guns."

Last edited by DeltaShooter; 12-20-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Forgot some info. Typo
Old 12-20-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags View Post
So what are they doing for you?
Nothing yet, it's on the way back to them.