1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 09-30-2011, 01:12 PM

New Kimber Super Carry Custom HD

I bought my first 1911 the other day, a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD. Complete report on that with pictures here at: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...87#post3469087

I have read books on 1911s and read reports and the general consensus is they are tempermental guns prone to malfunction but after shooting a friends Nighthawk and Wilsons I just had to get a 1911.

Well so far I only have 200 rounds through the pistol but all have been without malfunction and the gun locked open every time it was supposed to and only when there were no rounds left in the magazine. So far I have fired 100 rounds with the Kimber Tac Mag and 100 rounds with a Wilson Combat 8 round magazine. Even my Glocks have had more malfunctions than this!

If I finish the break in period with no malfunctions I will probably switch my CCW from a Glock 23 Gen 4 to the Kimber. I am still not sure though because that Glock is sweet too though. Maybe alternate carry?

Never will buy a Mossberg or Glock again!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 PM

Congratulations on the purchase of your Kimber SC. They are truly great pistols. I have the SC Pro and have been very please with mine.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Congrats

Congratulations on the new Kimber.
My Ultra CDP II has become my everyday carry. Works like a champ.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM1 Hojo View Post
Even my Glocks have had more malfunctions than this!

If I finish the break in period with no malfunctions I will probably switch my CCW from a Glock 23 Gen 4 to the Kimber. I am still not sure though because that Glock is sweet too though. Maybe alternate carry?
Yup ! I have a Kimber TLE II with only several thousand rounds thru it---and ---not so much as a hiccup thus far ! Best shootin' 45 I have ! I too carry a Glock---only because it holds many more rounds and is lighter. Good choice for alternate carry ! My Glock has not caused a problem for several years but there is something about the feel of a 1911.....................!

Last edited by flickerdart; 10-02-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 AM

congrats!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Fired another 100 rounds through the new Kimber. This time there was a problem.

I brought my two brand new magazines that I broke in according to the instructions on the Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines.

The Lo-Profile Steel Base Pad Black Elite Tactical magazine worked fine for the 50 rounds that I used it with.

I then switched to the Elite Tactical Magazine ETM Base Pad Silver and with the slide locked back and magazine inserted the first round did not load properly (round hung in the barrel half way). The rest of the 49 rounds I shot using this magazine worked fine though.

There was also something else I noticed, after my second time shooting the gun I noticed that one of the grips was a little loose so I tightened it back up. After shooting again today the same grip was loose and again I tightened it back up. The pistol is still in the break in period. Do I need to worry about one of the grip screws getting loose?

Never will buy a Mossberg or Glock again!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Just about all of my 1911's have the grips come loose after shooting. The exception may be wood or another lightweight material. The micarta grips that come on the Kimber are heavy and dense. To fix this problem, go to your local hardware store and pick up a package of #60 o-rings. Place your grips on, then o-rings, and screws. This problem will disappear.

I have had excellent luck with the Kimber Pro-Tac mags, and prefer the 7 rd. one's.

Last edited by dbarn; 10-12-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 PM

Congrats!!!

...and welcome to the Kimber Club!!! I swore that if i bought one (Kimber) 1911 I would be done. Guess again!!! Now I find myself looking through the catalogs for Colt and Kimber even more than before. Hope that the "never enough" bug doesn't bite you too!!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
There was also something else I noticed, after my second time shooting the gun I noticed that one of the grips was a little loose so I tightened it back up. After shooting again today the same grip was loose and again I tightened it back up. The pistol is still in the break in period. Do I need to worry about one of the grip screws getting loose?
Congrats on your SC HD...that's a fine looking gun.

If the o-ring idea doesn't work, a little Loc-tite will......

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Fired another 100 rounds through the new Kimber. This time there was a problem.

I brought my two brand new magazines that I broke in according to the instructions on the Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines.

The Lo-Profile Steel Base Pad Black Elite Tactical magazine worked fine for the 50 rounds that I used it with.

I then switched to the Elite Tactical Magazine ETM Base Pad Silver and with the slide locked back and magazine inserted the first round did not load properly (round hung in the barrel half way). The rest of the 49 rounds I shot using this magazine worked fine though.

I notice that the first thing a new Kimber owner does is buy some after-market magazines.
Why is that? Does Kimber sell prone to malfunction magazines?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Sounds like you're off to a great start with your HD. Ditto on the #60 "O" rings. They work great. I bought mine in the Lowe's plumbing dept.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasboffer View Post
I notice that the first thing a new Kimber owner does is buy some after-market magazines.
It's not just Kimber. Several companies have problems with their OEM mags. It would be great if they all supplied Wilson or Kim Pro-Tac Mags. But it just ain't going to happen.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=337136
Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasboffer View Post
As far malfunctions with Kimber mags. When I first got My Kimber Ultra CDP. I had the regular kimber mag and immediatly bought a Kim pro tac mag to have a spare. I was having a lot of malf's with those 2 mags. More with the regular Kimber mag than the Kim pro tac. So I bought 2 Wilson Combats and malf's were cut in half. I was having so many that I started charting what brand of ammo and what mags they were in. The Wilson mags made a HUGE difference. Even thought they occasionally had few. The Kim Pro Tac had more, and the reg. Kimber mag had a ton. They all work pretty reliably now, (Especially the Wilsons). I think it had to do with the gun being new and really tight tolerances. Allthough the Wilson mags are what I use when Im carrying. They have been Very reliable since they break in period. The Kimber mags are range mags only!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:50 AM

Duplicate post. Sorry.