1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > STI/SVI

Old 09-26-2011, 09:41 PM

Trojan Holster?

Wondering what holster to get for the STI Trojan 9mm?

https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Cate...:1911+Holsters

Want it mainly for USPSA and Steel Challenge. I'll shoot IDPA as well.

One more question is that I'm getting a magwell put on it. I know its personal preference but which grips? Slim or standard? I'm coming from the mid grip of XDm 4.5.

thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 PM

I asked the EXACT same question about a week ago.... got a few responses.... the general consensus... ( and what I have decided on ) Is the Blade Tech standard DOH. You can remove the DOH attachment for Single Stack.

I just ordered my Trojan through Dawson about 2 weeks ago... still looking at a month wait.. what about you?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 PM

The B-T DOH is not legal for either USPSA's SSTK division or any of the IDPA divisions unless you are female. So that my be something you want to keep in mind. In fact, I believe you have to have the front strap of the grip at or above the top of the belt for both divisions.

The standard Blade-Tech or Comp-Tac's OWB kydex holster are good options. I have both and prefer the Comp-Tac (for a Trojan no less). My wife prefers the DOH for obvious reasons.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MoreChains View Post
The B-T DOH is not legal for either USPSA's SSTK division or any of the IDPA divisions unless you are female. So that my be something you want to keep in mind. In fact, I believe you have to have the front strap of the grip at or above the top of the belt for both divisions.

The standard Blade-Tech or Comp-Tac's OWB kydex holster are good options. I have both and prefer the Comp-Tac (for a Trojan no less). My wife prefers the DOH for obvious reasons.
He is correct... The DOH attachment is NOT legal in Single Stack or IDPA.... BUT, the "DOH" is just that, an attachment. If you will be participating in an IDPA or SS match, simply remove the piece of plastic that drops the holster. As for steel, you will for sure want the drop. It is one thing that actually will speed up your draw.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssanders224 View Post
I asked the EXACT same question about a week ago.... got a few responses.... the general consensus... ( and what I have decided on ) Is the Blade Tech standard DOH. You can remove the DOH attachment for Single Stack.

I just ordered my Trojan through Dawson about 2 weeks ago... still looking at a month wait.. what about you?
I haven't ordered it yet. It will be through DP. I'll find out tomorrow if I can order it this month or if I have to wait until next month. I have enough saved but not sure how much my fiance needs for eye glasses and accessories.

So the BT DOH you can remove to be legal for IDPA & USPSA?

I'm getting grips, magwell, 5- 10 round mags, 3 CR mag pouch, CR belt, BT holster and the FO front site is included along with 1/2 off the DP enhancement package.

A month wait? Did they not have one in stock or is that the normal wait?

Last edited by Smoov; 09-26-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 PM

Yes, the BT DOH is just a standard BT holster and Stingray belt loop, with an extra plastic extender piece added between them. You can remove this quite easily by backing out a few screws, and attaching the Stingray belt loop directly to the holster. Then add the drop back on when needed.

The month wait is because I am having the Dawson enhancement package done to the pistol so I get dropped in the line for shop work. Also a Doug Koenig hammer installed, Stainless Ambi safetys, and no-gap magwell.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoov View Post
I'm getting grips, magwell, 5- 10 round mags, 3 CR mag pouch, CR belt, BT holster and the FO front site is included along with 1/2 off the DP enhancement package.
If you plan on using this gear for IDPA, you might want to inquire as to the legality of the CR Speed mag pouches. Some say it is not legal. Would not want you to find out the hard way at an IDPA match someday.

As far as USPSA SSTK and Steel Challenge, the CR Speed pouches are perfectly fine. The nice thing about the CR pouches is that by changing the inserts you can use the same pouch for a variety of handgun magazines ranging from STI 2011's to Glocks to CZ's.

For SSTK and Steel Challenge I use a CR Speed belt with a Comp-Tac holster and six COM-Kydex mag pouches, and keep the holster and mag pouches on the outer belt all the time so it is set up the same each time I put it on. I also put 3M stick-on velcro on the back of the holster and mag pouches to help adhere the two belts together.

For IDPA I use a different belt with two clip on mag pouches from Comp-Tac and a second OWB hoster so I can leave my SSTK belt alone. Using the CR's inner belt by itself is legal within the requirements of IDPA, provided it is threaded through the pant loops. I did that for a while, but then switched to a conventional belt that was stiffer than the CR inner belt.

So the bottom line is, you can use the same gear for all three competition venues, but the limiting factor will be whichever sport is the most restrictive, which in this case it is IDPA. Or, over time, you do what a lot of people do, and you accumulate more gear that is specific to each sport.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Well the eye doctor was rescheduled to Thursday

Thanks 2morechains. I forgot about the restrictions in IDPA. I've been thinking of just using my XD9SC when I attend IDPA. I haven't attended IDPA that much. Have to drive about 2hrs for one so....

I'll call DP in the next couple of days but maybe someone can tell me yes or no on this question. On DP site under the Trojan, it say 1/2 off of the Dawson enhancement package. So when it says the Trojan is $999, is that the final price or add 1/2 of $200 to the total?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 PM

$999 + $100 ( half of the enhancement) and free FO sight installed right now. Pretty darn good deal!
I am paying 20 bucks to have them install the magwell too. Just to make sure it meets up to the frame nicely.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Alrighty. Did you get an extended mag release and/or trigger job?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Trigger job is included in the ( now $100) enhancement package. You let them know what weight you want the trigger set at.. I went 3.5#s. They basically go through the whole gun and check tolerances, fit, accuracy and function as well. Pretty good deal for 100 bucks as far as Im concerend.

No, I am going to drill and tap the mag release myself... then just install either a Dawson or Ed Brown mag release button.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:30 PM

that's a ridiculous great price for $100. I'm sold. Calling and ordering on Thursday.

thanks for your help.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 AM

The CR pouches aren't legal for IDPA.

Another option, instead of an extended mag release, replace the grips with VZ and the thumb cut which will make it easier to reach the release.

FWIW both of my Trojans came from the factory with 3 1/2lb triggers.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 AM

Thing is, I dont have the power tools that VR used in his video to notch out the piece on the inside of the grips. I even looked in my fathers huge shed full of tools and nothing like what VR used. What is the bit piece called and I'll just go buy one?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Where did you see the vid?

Link please.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssanders224 View Post
No, I am going to drill and tap the mag release myself... then just install either a Dawson or Ed Brown mag release button.

Good luck, my gunsmith broke 6 drill bits and two taps doing that.....
NRA Life Member
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Drilling and tapping a mag release

I sometimes run across an extremely "hard metal" mag release when I try to drill and tap them. I know when I start drilling just how hard the steel is, so if the drill doesn't cut easily into the metal, I don't attempt to drill any further since I know the drill may break or even if I do get the drill to cut, the tap may break.

When I run into "hard steel" on a mag release, I remove the inner spring and plunger, then anneal the metal with a torch, then let it air cool. It makes the drilling and tapping much easier and less expensive on drills and taps!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM

@BHP9: here is VR4 post.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=300116
Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
I sometimes run across an extremely "hard metal" mag release when I try to drill and tap them. I know when I start drilling just how hard the steel is, so if the drill doesn't cut easily into the metal, I don't attempt to drill any further since I know the drill may break or even if I do get the drill to cut, the tap may break.

When I run into "hard steel" on a mag release, I remove the inner spring and plunger, then anneal the metal with a torch, then let it air cool. It makes the drilling and tapping much easier and less expensive on drills and taps!
Now you know why they charge so much more for the release already drilled and tapped.
Quote:
Thanks.

It is a good read.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 AM

I placed my order for the STI Trojan just a few minutes ago. Quick question for you guys. What should I have them set the trigger to? 3.5? Or less?

I'm use to the xdm and xdsc stock triggers
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP9 View Post
Now you know why they charge so much more for the release already drilled and tapped.

I don't think they even offer them drilled and tapped anymore.

I've got one in my parts drawer. Gonna hold onto it until it's worth hundreds of dollars.

Trigger pull is highly personal.

If it's going to be a carry gun 3.5#.

Comp gun, 2#

But that's just my view.
NRA Life Member
Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 AM

Yea I know its personal. Only fired stock triggers. I'm only using it for competition. So looks like it should be #2.

I'm hoping for the ice magwell no gap I can slide vz grips on it without modifications.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Yea I know its personal. Only fired stock triggers. I'm only using it for competition. So looks like it should be #2.

I'm hoping for the ice magwell no gap I can slide vz grips on it without modifications.
All grips will fit unless you have an ambi safety, then the grips need to be ground for that.

Flat bottom grips LOOK a lot better with a magwell.
NRA Life Member
Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 PM

I dont think I have ever shot a 1911 with an actual 2# trigger. Alot of people say thats what they like for comp, but that seems awful light to me. I have not measured a lot of my guns (factory pistols) but I just set my GSG 1911 up at a REALLY crisp 4#s a couple weeks ago, and to me it works very well. I am having them set m Trojan at 3.5#, but considering calling back and going to 3.

Did they give you an estimated ship date?? Just wondering, as mine is estimated for the first week in November, and Im already 2.5 weeks into my order.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:37 PM

I called and asked how low they can go. She didn't know for sure but thought #3.0 was as low as they will go.

When I talked to them they said they all of a sudden just got really busy and it will take minimum of 2 weeks to just get in the shop.