1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 AM

Les Baer, Wilson Combat or Ed Brown?

A Les Baer, Wilson Combat or Ed Brown? I am searching for a new 1911 custom carry and I cannot decide. Please reply back with any major advantage that favors one over the others. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:06 AM

Owned a few of all three. No bad choice here at all. Buy the model that appeals best to you.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 AM

Baer is the only one that makes a "Custom Carry"

Of the 3 Semi Custom makers you will be set with any of thier offerings.

Bob
Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 AM

A substaintial difference?

Wilson will fall over backwards trying to make you happy with their gun.

I can only say my single dealing with Brown went exceptionally well - got the gun back in a week with a trigger job and new sear. Never had to deal with Les, so I cant say for sure.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 AM

In the end, I think it boils down to how much $$ you are willing to spend. Not how much you got, how much are you willing to spend.

There ain't squats worth of difference in how they perform. All 3 are more accurate than 99% of us. But all 3 have different levels of finish and that I say is the difference betweeen the 3. And the level of finish costs $$$.

Can't comment on customer satisfaction as I've never had to make a call to any of them. All my pistols run like clocks.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks. However, only Ed Brown offers a written warranty. Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
In the end, I think it boils down to how much $$ you are willing to spend. Not how much you got, how much are you willing to spend.

There ain't squats worth of difference in how they perform. All 3 are more accurate than 99% of us. But all 3 have different levels of finish and that I say is the difference betweeen the 3. And the level of finish costs $$$.

Can't comment on customer satisfaction as I've never had to make a call to any of them. All my pistols run like clocks.
That's pretty much the way I see it as well. It's how much do you want to spend..

Warranty and customer service are great, but the real deal is to not have to use them. Ron
Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 AM

cant go wrong with any, but it seems that only wilson has a unconditional warranty. The other two its up to them if they wanna honor it. A couple of people I know have been charged for warranty work. But they usually will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. Repeat business is the name of the game. My vote would be wilson.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 09-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks. This is my hobby, so I've justified and convinced myself that price should not be a factor - probably not the smartest path to follow You mentioned Wilson's warranty; however, I just reviewed their site and the following disclaimer was noted under the information column:

NO WRITTEN WARRANTY: Due to the complexities of complying with the Federal warranty law, Wilson’s Gun Shop, Inc. does not offer a written warranty. We continue to stand behind our products and services, and to care for our customers, but we cannot make guarantees or warranties of any kind. This general statement of policies and disclaimers is effective July 1, 1985, and no prior statements or promises shall be of any effect for transactions after July 1, 1985.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Never owned a Wilson, I will with in the next couple years.

I have a Ed Brown Special Forces that I love. Finish is the nicest of any gun I have ever owned. More Accurate than I am. Great looking gun. Just buttery smooth to rack and shoot.

I have a Baer Stinger that I love. Finish is not as refined as the Brown. The gun was much tighter than the Brown, however after 500~600 rounds it was buttery smooth. More Accurate than I am.

I'm not sure one is better than the other. I bought them for different primary roles.

I bought the Brown for a range / home gun. It's a five inch. It's almost to nice a finish to carry daily. But it dose on occasion get carried in a Milt Sparks VMII.

I bought the Baer Stinger for a Carry. It is perfect for that role. It is a total blast to shoot. It is in a Milt Sparks holter, usually a VMII daily. It is a blast on the range too.

You can not go wrong with either.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Major advantage? One's a Baer; the others aren't.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Read The Patriot -- It's Right, It's Free
http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/
Veritas vos Liberabit
Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 AM

I've had all three. I'm strongly of the opinion that Baer is more of a "hand built" gun than Brown or sub-SuperGrade Wilsons. Whether or not that matters to you is up to you. If it's a hard use gun, likely to see high round counts, I'd recommend LB. If not, I'd recommend the other two, with WC being my personal choice due to the best CS on the planet. Also, I like that Baer still blues guns as a standard spec.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 PM

I own Wilson Combat 1911's, and what brought me to them is their CS. I hope I never need it but if I do, no one compares.

I think you can't go wrong with any of the three maker you are debating. Best of luck in your decision and welcome to the world of Simi-customs!
~Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 PM

this is what baer has to say about warranty, I wouldn't worry about it.

"On all custom pistols and rifles we want your 100% satisfaction. As long as customer abuse has not created a problem, we will probably repair your custom pistol or rifle free of charge. If you have a problem, it’s usually ammunition related and we can help you over the phone with any concerns you might have. If you have questions, please feel free to call during office hours.

100% satisfaction is always our goal. This does not cover any gunsmithing or modifications done by anyone outside our company .NO EXCEPTIONS!
Note: The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited” or as "full” and sets minimum standards for a "full” warranty. Les Baer Custom, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited” or "full”, rather than attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Les Baer Custom, Inc. wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Baer Custom firearms."
straight from their site
Old 09-25-2011, 01:09 PM

I own all three brands and each has it's good points and some not so good.

Obviously personal choice, how one fits your hands etc. means a lot.

IMO, Wilson has the best customer service, but the most expensive. Probably won't buy another one.

Browns may have the best finish, but I won't buy another one.

Baers are the tightest initially, quite a bit less money than the others, but I believe the best buy of the three and I'm waiting on another one now. The Baer is the last one I would get rid of.
1911 Family: Wilson Combat CQB Compact 9mm, Wilson Combat CQB Elite, Les Baer PII 1.5", Les Baer Boss, Les Baer CIV, Ed Brown Kobra, Ed Brown Centennial Edition, Nighthawk Custom Talon, Dan Wesson CBOB, Dan Wesson CCO, Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Got a Baer, wont buy another one

Wilson Combat great guns but overpriced

Of the 3 choices mine would be the Ed Brown, best quality for the money
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 09-25-2011, 02:06 PM

In my experience you will not go wrong with any of the three, they all will build you an outstanding weapon that will serve you well.

Accuracy, reliability and materials will be great with all of them, nothing to complain about here.

As I see it there are three areas on which to base your choice.

1. Price

2. Selection

3. Workmanship/finish

As far as price, no question WC is the most expensive gun for gun, with Brown in the middle. Both Brown and WC both had price increases this summer with the WC being a substantial one. There has long been a good argument to me made that Baer was the value leader in the semi-custom market, with these price increases, that argument is just that much stronger.

With selection I refer to both the model/type of gun, as well as the various options you can mix and match on custom build. Baer while having several models to choose from is by far the least flexible as far as options, i.e. sights, triggers, finishes, etc. Brown is a real step up here, you have the option to use outside vendor parts if you wish, lots of material and finish options, just a greater overall selection. WC is the unquestioned champ here though, if you want, they will probably build it for you, will bend over backwards to build YOUR vision of the perfect 1911.

Workmanship/finish, workmanship may not be a fair term to use, let's call it attention to detail. Brown and WC are in fact a step up in this department from Baer. It is not that Baer is bad, they build a great firearm, just that if having the inside of the dustcover looking just as nice as the outside is important to you, then Baer would not be my first choice. This of course will have zero effect on how the gun performs, it is simply cosmetic. If that last little bit of attention to the finish is important to you, and it is worth the additional price, then Brown and WC in my experience are on about equal footing.

Hope this was of some help, good luck with your selection.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com

Last edited by Hammond; 09-25-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:10 PM

Thank you so much for the information - this forum is definitely a value added tool and I appreciate everyone's participation and comments. Thanks again
Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM

I have a Brown Special Forces and a Baer Thunder Ranch Comanche.

The Brown feels like butter, shoots tighter groups and feels better in my hand. It is full length barrel, maybe why it shoots tighter groups.

The Baer feels like it could be thrown down, dragged thru mud, abused and used and stand up to the test. Dont know why it "feels" like that, it just does.

The brown is my pretty baby that I pamper

the baer, which I havnt had very long is going to eat a lot of ammo, get carried daily and wont get pampered.

Its hard to put a finger on "feel" just something artists call art that leaves you cold or warm.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks. I am leaning towards the Baer Stinger Stainless for daily carry. Any thoughts on the appropriate finish?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM

I have 3 .45 1911's: Les Baer Tactical Premier II, Ed Brown Cobra Carry (bobtail), and a Kimber Ultra CDP II.

The Kimber is an EDC and works perfectly in its capacity. The Ed Brown is the best finished, fits my hand the best, and is the most comfortable for me to carry. The Les Baer is probably the most accurate, but my capabilities aren't to the point where I would really notice. I love all of these guns, but if I could only keep one, it would be the Ed Brown. It fits me perfectly and is everything I want in a firearm.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:10 PM

I have a LB PII with the 1 1/2 and absolutely love it. It is currently at robar for a new finish. For me, the LB is perfect but I was looking for company for it. I ordered a Ed Brown Executive Target with Gen III. There was no other Baer I wanted. I'll report back in six months

nod
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM

This is so difficult. I was leaning toward the LB, but I keep flipping over to Ed Brown and Wilson's sites. I think I'll just have to get one of each........eventually
Old 09-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjust1 View Post
This is so difficult. I was leaning toward the LB, but I keep flipping over to Ed Brown and Wilson's sites. I think I'll just have to get one of each........eventually
Yea you will, but eventually you'll fall into a niche. I've had a nighthawk, Baer, Wilson, and Browns.

All I've got now are the browns.

From my experience Wilson is nice, but a little over priced for what you get. But if you want something other than 45acp Wilson and Baer's can meet your needs

Browns IMO offer the best finish, butter smooth tight slides for a reasonable price. When I pick up my two browns, I get a funny feeling the other builders didn't give me. But I recently just picked up a Monolith at my LGS and it was sweet.

I've had a TRS. Was freaking accurate, tight slide, and just had an overall good feel to it. Loved the bluing Les does and like others said, Baer's are no-nonsense tough pistols.

With wilson's recent price jump I'm reluctant to buy another one, but they do have top notch service. Brown does too as well. Every time I have called Brown thy have excellent customer service.

Basically of you want a really nicely finished 1911 either 3 top manufactures will provide that. Baer's are rough/tough and feel like their meant to be shot. Browns are finished even nicer and in between Baer and Wilson. Wilson is top notch, but I feel their armor tuff is a little spray paint.

Just my .02

Good luck, just know when you start it is a never ending quest
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 PM

As another suggeston...I would throw a Dan Wesson V-Bob in the ring with the big 3 as another option to at least look at.