1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 09-16-2011, 06:18 AM

Rl550

I just purchased a used 550 and am setting it up. Everything seems to work fine. It has the old powder measure with springs. I have heard pros and cons to upgrading to the rod driven linkage and also problems with the primer setup. Any suggestions as to whether i should upgrade powder measure linkage or leave it alone and any improvements to make on the primer feed setup
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

My two 550's have the double spring return for the powder bar, and my 650 has the linkage. I can tell no difference. I am not the least bit unhappy with the spring method, nor overly impressed with the linkage system.

What exactly is your question or problem with the primer system?

NRA Life Member
Old 09-16-2011, 08:51 AM

If you do not have the low primer warning system I would certainly get the upgade. The warning buzzer is nice, but the best improvement that I saw was from the added weight of the rod that activates the buzzer. Mine had problems with primer feeding as the magazine neared empty. The primer warning rod put a stop to all primer feed problems. The low primer warning is the only change that I am aware of since 1985.

My powder measure is the single spring slide return with addition of the positive return linkage. I don't know what configuration Dillon's current uprade is. I have not had any problems since I added the positive return linkage.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
The warning buzzer is nice, but the best improvement that I saw was from the added weight of the rod that activates the buzzer.
Good point! I have added an empty .45 case over the head of the plastic rod to have a little more weight bearing on the primers.

NRA Life Member
Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM

D550 and primer warning system

I have never used the primer alarm, since batteries may fail, and why have anything with a potential electric spark near a primer tube where primer residue my build up? Just my thoughts....

I also didn't like the plastic rod used for the primer tube. I made a follower rod with 1/8" steel rod. For added weight, I forced an upside down .45 acp bullet into an empty brass case, then drilled a hole in the center of the lead to force my 1/8" rod to press fit into the lead. I cut off the exposed end of the rod about one inch away from the primer tube opening when the rod is situated in an empty primer feeding tube. I tapered the rod slightly (the end that sits on top of the primers) When I run out of primers, the rod falls into the shell plate, and locks the press so you can't advance the shell plate....you automatically know you are out of primers. I use this same set up on all my progressive presses.