1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 PM

USMC adopts Serpa holster

I kid you not... http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...erpa-holsters/
Old 09-15-2011, 01:21 AM

Military Times is not an official military magazine. I don't believe what they say in any of the military times magazines about gear getting replaced, its just published to produce hype about something and increase sales.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 AM

My Dad used a Serpa holster in Iraq in situations where people were shooting at him and he had to shoot back.

He said it worked just fine.

Last edited by jcnol; 09-15-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:31 PM

I just saw a video where snow trapped the pistol inside the Serpa Holster. I'll see if I can't find the link to it.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxpXU...re=uploademail

Last edited by Gary1911A1; 09-15-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added Link.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Here we go again... a whole arguement about Serpa holster.

Keyboard warriors will say you will shoot yourself with one... those that have one will tell you you'd have to be an idiot to do so.

MIke.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1005 View Post
Keyboard warriors will say you will shoot yourself with one... those that have one will tell you you'd have to be an idiot to do so.
We can go ahead and close this thread now.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 PM
1911 Aficionado

There's at least one "major" shooting school that won't allow them in class, and IDPA Canada is considering a nationwide ban from competition, as well. It's not an imaginary problem, regardless of the root cause of the problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:06 PM

A friend of mine bought a NIB SIG last week, and a new Serpa holster for it at the same time. Upon placing the SIG in the holster it was STUCK....and would NOT come out. NO adjustments to the holster had been made before placing the gun in it. He brought it over for me to look at and see if I could help. He practically destroyed the holster to get his pistol out of it.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1201 View Post
A friend of mine bought a NIB SIG last week, and a new Serpa holster for it at the same time. Upon placing the SIG in the holster it was STUCK....and would NOT come out. NO adjustments to the holster had been made before placing the gun in it. He brought it over for me to look at and see if I could help. He practically destroyed the holster to get his pistol out of it.
You need to push the little button on the side...
Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
Old 09-15-2011, 04:32 PM

My son is a USAF TACP, got back from his second deploymennt to A-stan in May, he was issued a Serpa for his M9. No issues with it as far as I know.
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
There's 'one' in every crowd...LOL

Our dealer sent the holster back to Blackhawk and emailed pics of the SIG to Blackhawk. Blackhawk is offering to have his SIG's slide refinished (it received several severe scratches during the 'removal process').
Old 09-15-2011, 04:53 PM

being around the marines daily I can vouch that the troops love the serpa, Its about time the higher ups took notice and made it a issue item instead of a out of pocket option, They have been in the base exchange for years,
Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 PM

I'd much rather have a safariland vs the serpa.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:51 PM

I have a Serpa, I'm just a guy that's going to shoot at the range and maybe get a permit to carry though.

Not special forces or anything.

If it worked for my Dad in Iraq, it'll work for me.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedsun View Post
I'd much rather have a safariland vs the serpa.
Carried my M9 in both. Give me the Serpa please.

I managed not to shoot myself, and I'm willing to bet other Marines will be able to manage that as well.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnol View Post
My Dad used a Serpa holster in Iraq in situations where people were shooting at him and he had to shoot back.

He said it worked just fine.
I have nothing but respect for your father, and the service he's done for our country. But I've seen a whole lot of gear used in both military and LE settings that is far less safe or quality than other gear available. I'd be very careful with the "it was used in combat so it must work great" argument.

Rick summed it up nicely. They have problems (as in safety issues) that are not imaginary.

I have a fundamental problem with using my trigger finger for anything besides pulling a trigger. I've been in plenty of high-stress situations (both patrol and SWAT) and I am a very firm believer in muscle memory.

The second issue I have with Serpas is that the release mechanism can become jammed by debris. This is not anecdotal. I have personally worked with people who had this happen to them. I have seen Safariland holsters in use for years, in punishing situations. I've never seen one fail like I have Serpas.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
I'd be very careful with the "it was used in combat so it must work great" argument.
+1

Anyone whose been in the military can tell you that just because something is picked doesn't mean it was the best for the job. But often times was just the lowest price submitted that met the given standards.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the right reverend View Post
being around the marines daily I can vouch that the troops love the serpa, Its about time the higher ups took notice and made it a issue item instead of a out of pocket option, They have been in the base exchange for years,
+1

Serpa is great, has served me well in 3 combat tours. Some of them are a little tight, but they are the Soldiers choice for holsters. They are the best combat holster, nothing else comes close. Nearly everyone I've seen in the military with a pistol buys one and uses it in place of the standard issue which costs the same.

And if this is coming from a fill in the blank ____Times military rag, then yes it is 99% likely to be crapola. If I had a dollar for everytime the Army Times said we are replacing the M4 and M9... How else do you sell a $5.00 newspaper to a 20 year old Soldier who doesn't care to read the newspaper?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
I have nothing but respect for your father, and the service he's done for our country. But
Oh snap! He done Kanyed him!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabubbles View Post
Oh snap! He done Kanyed him!
That's got to be a generation gap thing...
I have no idea who the guy in your picture is or what "oh snap" means.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster-Cogburn View Post
+1

Serpa is great, has served me well in 3 combat tours. Some of them are a little tight, but they are the Soldiers choice for holsters. They are the best combat holster, nothing else comes close. Nearly everyone I've seen in the military with a pistol buys one and uses it in place of the standard issue which costs the same.
Nothing else comes close? You're entitled to your opinion, but I have to disagree.
My own expreiance with the Serpa was very poor. We had over a 30% failure rate of the locking mechanisim. Most were debris induced failure, but several were spring failure. We had a total of 78 holsters, so it wasn't a small sample.
Fortunatly we had the failures during pre-deployment training, and replaced our holsters with the Safariland.
As I said in another ongoing thread on this subject, I do believe BHI had made some design changes since 2006. I still won't trust my life to a Serpa, nor will I allow my subordinates to do so. Once bitten, twice shy I suppose.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 PM

The two I have have worked out great in a hunting sidearm role. We ride in jonboats and walk many miles hog hunting through the thickest swamps and tough conditions. The retention is important for a big 5" XD45 and I like the little button. Clicks in and won't fall out. Draws fine with a little practice.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Here come the experts.

Really guys? It's a holster. If you're getting beat by a holster, train harder. If you shot yourself because of a holster, consider selling all of your firearms. Maybe it's just because I'm smarter than the holster, but I've never had any issues.

Now, the issues that actually pertain to the gear I do understand, but like I said I never had any issues with mine and as far as I know no other Marines in my battalion did either.

Choose what you like but don't try telling me the holster is junk because you don't like the way it works or had a limited experience with a bad one.

Carry on with the bickering now.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 PM

Couple guys had them on my last deployment, I didn't hear any complaints. I did have one complaint though. They kinda just threw the pistols at us the day before we went in country and you had to scrounge from your buddies for mags and holsters. "Standard Issue" doesn't mean **** in the Marines...