1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 AM

Colt Combat Commander 38 Super barrel switch to 9mm

I have a Colt Combat Commander in 38 super (80 Series) and wonder if it is possible to drop in a 9mm barrel. I just replaced the extractor and note that the extractor is the same for both a 38 super and 9mm. If this is a simple switch where might I find a 9mm barrel for the Colt Combat Commander? Thanks for any info.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 AM

I have a 38 super Combat Commander with a 9mm Kart barrel. It was not a drop in but a gunsmith fit barrel. A Colt Commander 9mm Barrel could possibly be a drop in replacement, only by trying it and checking lockup and timing would you know for sure.

Most of the aftermarket pre-fit or drop in barrels quite often will require a little fitting. 9mm Colts use a longer ejector than a 38 super but mine runs fine with the 38 super ejector.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 AM

.38super to 9mm barrel

The original 9mm extractor on a Colt 9mm is longer than the Colt .38 super, by approximately 3/8". This is due to the fact that the original Colt 9mm mags used a spacer in the back to move the 9mm round closer to the feed ramp. Some folks use 9mm mags that do not have the spacer in the back, and they seem to work OK without a longer ejector.

I have an STI 2011, and I always use a longer ejector. This gun may work with a shorter ejector, but since the case clears faster, it is much more reliable in my gun.....I use the gun in competitive action shooting and it is one of the most reliable weapons I own.

I am sure Kart, KKM, or Bar Sto can offer a 9mm commander barrel either with a bushing or bull barrel style.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
The original 9mm extractor on a Colt 9mm is longer than the Colt .38 super, by approximately 3/8".
I think you mean ejector. Because I think too fast or type too slowly I make the same mistake many times.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 09-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Ejector

Thanks Alland.....I did mean to type ejector....but the brain thought otherwise!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:15 AM

38 Super to 9mm barrel

Thanks to all for your input. I did mean extractor. I bought the Combat Commander used ( mfg 1980 ) and it failed to extract some spent casings from the chamber. Slide came back on firing but maybe every 4 casings failed to be removed. I bought a Wilson Combat extractor designated 38 Super/9mm. Fit fine
and just needed a slight bend to increase tension. No more extractor problem and the ejector ejects.

Because it is designated 38 Super/9mm I thought that I could switch to a 9mm barrel. I checked Wilson Combat and looked at the ejector which is also designated 38 Super/9mm.

Maybe I'm simple minded but a barrel switch appeared to me to be possible with no gunsmiths. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 AM

It certainly is doable without a gunsmith. The most straight foreward way would be to buy a Colt Commander 9mm barrel. Install the barrel and if it passes the timing tests it should be good to go. If you buy an aftermarket barrel it most likely will require fitting.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM

I did this on a government model 38 super using a Kart easy fit kit. Has everything you need to fit the barrel yourself without using a gunsmith. Thousands of rounds so far and no issues. With Kart you will have to have the barrel throated before firing. I found a local gunsmith who cut the throat for $30.

The gun is exceptionally accurate with reloads, ball and SD rounds. The Kart was very easy to use and took a couple of hours going really slow.

Have fun.