1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM

Duracoat vs gunkote vs creakote

This will be a do it yourself job. which is easier for a beginner? Also what are the differences? Which do you prefer and why? I'm leaning towards gunkote, but I figured it cant hurt to ask from those who have actual experience with these spray and bake finishes.

My gun is already parked which I understand is the ideal base (properly degreased)

Thanks for the advice
the best thing about a browning citori is you can take a ragged old reload, hammer it into the barrel, call "pull," break the clay, pull out a piece of brass with a jagged edge of plastic, check the the barrel, and repeat.
http://daileywoodworks.com/ - Woodworking, Shooting, and Life in General.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Id stay away from Duracoat if using the Preval sprayer that they sell, I had horrid results with it. I did an AK that came out well, and a 1911 at the same time, that was a disaster. I think the product is good, but just not that sprayer.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Someone gave me a glock to refinish that had duracote. I placed it in my ultrasonic to deep clean it first . I use a half and half mixture of Simple Green as the cleaning solution. Flat tore the finish up. I mean it looked like it had been on a reef for a year. Half the finish came off in blisters. The other half wrinkled and I brushed off with a wire brush. I was going to snap a photo of it because it was that bad. I decided I didnt want to start the 'finish war' online. But Wow. Lets say the stuff is soft. Gun has Cerakote on it now.

I am just one guy. YMMV.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 PM

I like gunkote in the aerosol spray cans. one can is enough to do at least 3 pistols. and you don't have to mix it up. here's a 1911 in high gloss black gunkote (my first attempt with gunkote):

this 1911 has a frame coated with matte brushed stainless gunkote, the slide is uncoated stainless steel.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Duracoat is the easyest for a beginer and i use it on most of my guns

Cerakote is by far the best but is harder to get right. Until you get used to it. Its the most scrach and rust resistant out of there three.

Guncoat is somewhere in between the other two mentioned

Every little flaw can be seen on a glossy finishes . A more flat finish helps hide imperfections.

Usa an airbrush, hvlp gun or automotive touch up gun

Never touch a preped part, even with gloves on. Hang everything on hooks
or wires

Prep is the most important step. Degrease with acetone and then bake the parts. Let the parts cool unless you are using gunkote. With guncoat you spray the parts whil there still warm. Baking will bleed out any hiden oil. If any bleeds out restart degreasing and rebake

Pm me anytime if you have any questions or need help

Last edited by fugazy; 09-10-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 PM

Sorry, to hijack this thread. Does Norrel's fit in this thread and how does the finish hold-up?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill608 View Post
Sorry, to hijack this thread. Does Norrel's fit in this thread and how does the finish hold-up?
Im not sure about moly resin, ive never used it. Ive herd a few good things though.

Start with duracoat, its the easyest. If you dont spray it perfectly even it wont matter. It evens out while it cures. You cant spray it really uneven but its more forgiving that the others.

Once you master duracoat then you start learning cerakote. Cerakote is by far the best and most durable spray on finish. I dont care what anybody tells you.

In my opinion cerakote and duracoat are the two best. Duracoat for ease of use and good durability and cerakote for superior durability. Even the air cure cerakote is better than the rest. I havent tryed the oven cure duracoat but i am going to soon.

Pm me anytime for questions concerning finishing.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 PM

How does everybody cure their finish at home cure in a type of oven? I have been thinking about making a redneck backyard oven to cure spray finish in? I don't want to be shot with one of my handguns by my wife if I use her oven in my/our house.

Last edited by Wildbill608; 09-10-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM

I use a large toaster/rotisserie oven. I put the rack at the very top and hang the parts with pieces of coat hanger.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:08 PM

I forgot to say that I could use some ideas on a Backyard oven. I want to spray Norrel's SOCOM Black on a LMT 10.5 Barrel less the Reciever.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill608 View Post
How does everybody cure their finish at home cure in a type of oven? I have been thinking about making a redneck backyard oven to cure spray finish in? I don't want to be shot with one of my handguns by my wife if I use her oven in my/our house.
I use two large toaster ovens.