1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 PM

Citadel Compact Night Sights

So I used the search function for a number of terms to try and find some very definitive information regarding Citadel Compact Night Sight replacements, and came up with bupkus.

So I know that the front sight cuts are different on the Citadel Compact than your standard Novak, but at this point in time does anyone actually make a front/rear sight set for the RIA/Citadel Compact?

I mean night sights, tritium, not Fiber Optics and not Glow in the Darks.

Anyone?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 PM

RIA has Meprolight Tritium sights on the model 2011 rail gun.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykellogg View Post
RIA has Meprolight Tritium sights on the model 2011 rail gun.
That's great.. but I am looking for Night Sights for the Citadel Compact that I already own, not to purchase another full size
Old 09-07-2011, 06:46 PM

If it were me, I would check to see if Citadel and RIA dovetails are the same. If (As I suspect) they are, you could try and acquire a set of these sights.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykellogg View Post
If it were me, I would check to see if Citadel and RIA dovetails are the same. If (As I suspect) they are, you could try and acquire a set of these sights.
I had a feeling that the Compacts of both had the same type of cuts, but though they were ALMOST Novak (as in Style), they were not actually Novak. The new railed model RIA might be true Novaks.

I am hoping someone can come in and clear it up from anecdotal evidence, or hands-on. If not, I may have to make a call out to the desert, which I am dreading doing since it seems like such a trivial question.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Night Al, Cappi or Auto Mag might be your best bets for that one. They seem to be current on sight cuts and the models for the most part.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 PM

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=82030

More to follow, when I find It????...................
Old 09-08-2011, 01:43 AM

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...59#post3423559

read post, #1 #6

Here is the Novak site. I would not order anything, without calling them first.

http://www.novaksights.com/products/...tml#instoption

This may help you, I know that you are looking for night sights, the problem remains the same,the front sight channel is cut more than .015'' deeper than the Novak .070'' that Novak sells.Novak won't work on the RIA front sight without milling it, this what some of the guys have reported after calling Novak. some have reported that Novak said, they will not work on the RIA pistol with the Dovetail cut. (this is what I have read on some of the forums) I have no know Idea what NIGHT SIGHT will fit as a direct swap. I do know that Arnel, at Advance Tactical puts several different brands of FO sights on the RIA pistols that have dovetail front sight.I know how he does it, but I would not recommend it for someone that is really good with metal working, it involves removing metal from the slide, if you mess it up, it means you voided the warranty on the slide, and you may have to buy a new one,or welding, then re milling, that means messing up the temper of the metal of the slide. Arnel does his work by hand. i can only guess that is what Novak means when they say, they will have to mill the slide for their install of the Novak sights, on a RIA pistol? I have seen some of the sights that Arnel installed, they are perfect, he is a master smith.I have seen some he used from Brownell's, I know the Match pistol comes with Tru Glo FO sights from the factory, the new 2011 pistol uses the Mepro Night Sights, they may make a longer base for the RIA cut I don't know?I have seen some sights that have been put on by some of the forum members that came out looking real good also, one member tried to put some on his pistol, after 3 tries he gave up, he could not make them fit,he bought 3 sights and messed them up
beyond repair. also the Night Sights have to have a special tool, so you don't break the Vile, good luck with your search, keep us posted on what you do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elricfate View Post
So I used the search function for a number of terms to try and find some very definitive information regarding Citadel Compact Night Sight replacements, and came up with bupkus.

So I know that the front sight cuts are different on the Citadel Compact than your standard Novak, but at this point in time does anyone actually make a front/rear sight set for the RIA/Citadel Compact?

I mean night sights, tritium, not Fiber Optics and not Glow in the Darks.

Anyone?
Here are some Novak Night sights you may want to look at,

http://store.novaksights.com/tritiumdotfront.aspx

http://store.novaksights.com/tritiumdot.aspx

Remember the front sight is only 75'' Deep the Ria pistols cut is 85''+-.002 deep. so you will have a .010''-.012'' void to fill, between the base of the sight base and the slide. after you install this front sight, you can use some Loc Tite to fill the void, then use a bluing pen to color it, it won't show, and it keeps the sight from moving.