1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Springfield 1911 vs other foreign made 1911's

I'm curious why Springfield pistols are so highly recommended. I thought they were made in Brazil. Why are the models made in the Philippines and other places outside the U.S. considered low quality. I understand that many of them are made of inferior parts, but my question is what makes the Springer so much more desireable?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 PM

Springfield's use forged frames and slides.
Most of the Philippine 1911's have one or the other cast.
Imbel has been forging and building guns longer than Philippine companies.
Springfield's customer service and warranty are among tops in the industry.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardjim View Post
I'm curious why Springfield pistols are so highly recommended. I thought they were made in Brazil. Why are the models made in the Philippines and other places outside the U.S. considered low quality. I understand that many of them are made of inferior parts, but my question is what makes the Springer so much more desireable?
Lots of people like to buy made in the USA on most everything they buy, this is a good thing and I do pretty much the same thing, there are some items that I buy that are not

Not all of the foreign made models are low quality

Springfield is more desirable to some people because of their reputation and their warranty

Like the other person said in the previous post, Springfield frames and slides are forged
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 PM

two words

1) "Blueprints"
2) "Heattreatment"
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM

Imbel is probably the best forging company in the world, and Springfield's customer service is one of, if not the best in the industry.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 PM

FWIW most things "made in the USA" are assembled here from domestic and imported parts. Hard to find anything truly made completely with domestic parts anymore. Just my .02
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 PM

i heard that armscor will be making para gi expert?is this true?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM

FYI if a pistol is assembled in the USA of imported parts it is illegal to say it is "Made in the USA". If the import content is very small then the manufacturer can get away with it. The law states that the imported content has to be "substantialy changed". They give an example of knife blades being imported and the handle assembeld. This cannot be legally marked "Made in USA".

That said, it is entirely possible that a manufacturer does not obey the letter of the law.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 AM

I've recently purchased an American Classic II. The slide is forged and the frame is cast. The cast frame does not bother me as several higher end 1911's have an investment cast frame. Caspian comes to mind. The pistol functions and shoots very nicely.

I enjoy being able to have a cheap knock around 1911 that I can be less particular with and that is reliable. Would much rather take a hit on this one getting stolen or sitting in an evidence locker. For $480.00 it's a definite best buy. I do not care where it's made.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 AM

Quality Customer Service?

For those of you who have had great Springfield Armory, Inc. Customer Service - good for you. I've dealt with their customer service people twice; the first time resulted in being called a liar by their customer service; but the plot thickened when I provided them with e-mails from their co-workers. The last time, which was to find out some info about my "new" M1A was great. I called with a couple of questions and ended up with a set of M1A paperwork including the owner's manual. So now the score is 1-1.

Back on topic; Springfield has good guns made for them. The XDs, made in Croatia rate very well according to some of my friends who own them; I had a high capacity SA 1911 - an excellent pistol, Made in Brazil stamped under the grip; nothing in the manual, on the box, or anywhere that would indicate it was anything but an American made gun. Great Shooter.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykellogg View Post
FYI if a pistol is assembled in the USA of imported parts it is illegal to say it is "Made in the USA". If the import content is very small then the manufacturer can get away with it. The law states that the imported content has to be "substantialy changed". They give an example of knife blades being imported and the handle assembeld. This cannot be legally marked "Made in USA".

That said, it is entirely possible that a manufacturer does not obey the letter of the law.

I agree with your comments in the context in which they were written. However, for clarity, let us add that Springfield does not attempt to skirt the law in this case, nor to defraud the buyer in any way. Their Brazilian made guns are clearly marked as such.

Winston Churchill: Madam, If I were your husband, I would drink it.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykellogg View Post
FYI if a pistol is assembled in the USA of imported parts it is illegal to say it is "Made in the USA".
The one's assembled in Illinois do not say " Made in USA"
My Operator

ess45's Brazillian does however say "Made in Brazil"
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 AM

I remember seeing a well known gunsmith who specialized in doing custom FN's I believe it was, saying he would only work on the highest quality receivers, such as--and the first one listed was Imbel. Imbel is considered to bean excellent maker, as someone else mentioned. While Springfield does sell many pistols made in other countries, such as the 1911 models made in Brazil and the Croation XD's, they obviously do an excellent job of picking high quality/winners when deciding which to sell. Some of the others may get there, they mostly are not quite there yet. There are certainly great foreign makers of other handguns, some inexpensive--the CZ's come to mind.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM

because springfield is heads and tails better product than the phillipine guns, forged frames/slides, great reputation for customer service and they just plain build very nice guns for the money. i prefer to buy usa when i can as well, but there are atleast two beautiful things from brazil, one is springfield frames, the other tends to spend most of its time on the beaches

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM

The Phillipines are considered to be a third world country.
Brazil has pretty good technology. Note Taurus use of Titanium, for example. Brazil has a different standard of living too, closer to the US.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
The one's assembled in Illinois do not say " Made in USA"
My Operator

ess45's Brazillian does however say "Made in Brazil"
I might add that the law states if the product does not state where it is made the customer has the right to assume it is "Made in USA". Some manufacturers say this and some do not. I have seen one that says "Made entirely in the USA".

My RIA does not have "Made in the Phillipines" on it anywhere I can see. My reading of the law does not allow for marking it where it cannot be readily seen and if the product is as big as a 1911 the product should be marked, not just the package.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Why are the models made in the Philippines and other places outside the U.S. considered low quality.
Because some people are gun snobs ?

I have owned a Norinco, a Rock Island Armory (stamped Philippines), several Springfield Armory, and a Kimber. They all went bang when you pulled the trigger. If the firearm functions reliably 100% of the time, what else do you need ? The Norinco is a little rough, but accurate and reliable. I have also owned several Spanish firearms that were excellent guns.

I would love to have a Wilson, Les Baer, or classic Colt, but any of the other brands will fill the same holster and make the same size bullet hole.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Jeeper View Post
I would love to have a Wilson, Les Baer, or classic Colt, but any of the other brands will fill the same holster and make the same size bullet hole.

Where is your pride as an American??

Taurus has a forged frame and slide but I don't see any fanboys for them. The PT 1911 will keep pace with any of the other imports mentioned.

I will use a GI Springfield frame and slide for a build but that's as far as I will go into the foreign 1911 market.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I'm curious why Springfield pistols are so highly recommended. ...........
...........but my question is what makes the Springer so much more desireable?
Guardjim, I really don't think they are MORE desirable. If 1911 sales record are an indication, the Kimbers by far, are more desirable because per ATF record in 2009 I think, Kimbers outsold every 1911 manufacturer, selling close to 70,000 units or over.

In this website and a few others, there are strong fans of the Springfields and for good reasons. The most obvious is customer service of SAs are some of the best. There are exceptions to this to be sure(and I am one of those), but across the board their CS is really tops.

As to overall quality, I think they are just average or equal to the mainstream production factory 1911s.----their internals leave a lot to be desired though---I used to have 4 of them.

Another reason could be that on the average, SA's sells CHEAPER than most equivalent feature-laden products.--------this no doubt is due to the fact that the forgings are done overseas where labor is comparatively cheaper.

Just my 0.2 cent.

Last edited by DArBad; 08-31-2011 at 03:03 PM.