1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 AM

need help and info identifing my les baer please

hello there first post and new to forums!!!! so forgive me if i put this in the wrong spot but any info or identification will be much helpful. I recently bought what i thought to be a les baer 1911 45 acp and i did it on a impulsive buy. once i got home and looked it over i noticed a few things out of place such as the brl. is a ed brown???? the frame says les bare custom. i am a novice to 1911s because im partial to glocks but fired one of my friends and dont think i can go back. so anyway my question is to the people who know more than me on the subject can you please learn me!!! i will try to figure out how to post pics and can get any angles you need much thanks in advance. i can return the gun if it dosent check out right have 3 days bought in locale store. here is all the markings on the gun. gun came with ct grips but no factory.

slide no markings i can find either side
frame say les baer custom with serial number LB 12425
sights are night sites with a inside a double circle
LLSDALE IL USA
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0137.jpg   IMAG0139.jpg   IMAG0142.jpg   IMAG0144.jpg   IMAG0145.jpg  

Last edited by ammo can; 08-26-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo can View Post
hello there first post and new to forums!!!! so forgive me if i put this in the wrong spot but any info or identification will be much helpful. I recently bought what i thought to be a les baer 1911 45 acp and i did it on a impulsive buy. once i got home and looked it over i noticed a few things out of place such as the brl. is a ed brown???? the frame says les bare custom. i am a novice to 1911s because im partial to glocks but fired one of my friends and dont think i can go back. so anyway my question is to the people who know more than me on the subject can you please learn me!!! i will try to figure out how to post pics and can get any angles you need much thanks in advance. i can return the gun if it dosent check out right have 3 days bought in locale store. here is all the markings on the gun. gun came with ct grips but no factory.

slide no markings i can find either side
frame say les baer custom with serial number LB 12425
sights are night sites with a inside a double circle
LLSDALE IL USA
Welcome to the sub forum!

I hate to be the person to tell you this,but I believe you have a "FrankenBaer"

In other words,a parts gun.

I would call Brenda at Les Baer (563-289-2126).Give her the serial number and see what she says.

The main thing is,if you paid more than "parts value",you got screwed unless it was built by a known pistolsmith.It still may be a great shooter,but it's not worth what a factory built Baer pistol would bring.
Just my.02

Regards,
DAT85
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 AM

I dont think les uses ed brown barrels, im almost sure he uses kart... But you never know, someone might have put that barrel in it but i dont see why....ANother thumbs up on calling the shop to get some info....
Old 08-26-2011, 08:08 AM

It could be a Brown - Bear. I think Ed Brown used Bear frames when he first started out, but it's hard to tell from the pictures. Based on the front and rear cocking serrations on the slide, they appear to be of the Brown style. Also the Bear frame was from the old Hillsdale days prior to the move to Iowa, so you know it's an older frame. A call to Brenda would be the best place to start.

Edit: On second view, maybe the serrations are too closely spaced to be Brown's work. I really don't know, but it's certainly interesting, especially with what appears to be a bushingless bull barrel.

Last edited by HOFFMAN223; 08-26-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFFMAN223 View Post
Edit: On second view, maybe the serrations are too closely spaced to be Brown's work. I really don't know, but it's certainly interesting, especially with what appears to be a bushingless bull barrel.
It's always hard to be sure from photos, but they still look too course to be Baer serrations though (at least compared to current models), and given the color difference between the slide and frame I think the frame might be the only Baer part.

Last edited by FourtyNine; 08-26-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2011, 01:38 PM

ok thanks much calling les baer now
Old 08-26-2011, 01:56 PM

wow love there service and they told me everything i need to know the frame is theres sold to brownells in 2001 guns a fraud!!!! its ok returning gun this evening. the slide is not theres. the brl. is a ed brown with a bushingless bull brl but this gun fits sooooo nice had to be put together by someone who knew what they are doing very accurate as i put a few rds in my bowling pin at 15yrds. love the gun but what do you guys think this one is worth so i can offer on it? or should i just stick to the plan and order a les baer? thanks for all your help in resolving this.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:05 PM

well

no matter what someone tells you what they would pay for it does not mean that it's worth it. it's worth what you are willing to pay for it.

that being said, it sounds like you want a real les baer and if you have the funds then get a real baer, there are a few good dealers present here and you can get a good price on a new gun. You won't be disappointed in your decision, if you think that gun is built good, wait till you rack a baer slide. better go to the gym and warm up.

FWIW

Jordan
Old 08-26-2011, 03:25 PM

nice. yea i do want a real one i think im going to switch to the 1911 platform im most accurate with it. let me return this one and then the fun begins picking out one. thanks to everyone who helped.