1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ruger

Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Ruger SR 1911. Where to find one

LooKing for one. Can't find any at my local shop(s). Have they just hit the market in a very limited supply? Is their a distributor that has exclusive rights to sell it?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 AM

When I bought my R1, I asked about the Ruger. The guy behind the counter told me Ruger is one of the worst about releasing a new product before they are capable of full capacity production.

He could have just been talking, but that does kinda seem to be the case.

It is what it is...
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM

They are indeed hard to find. Demand is high, and they are selling immediately when anyone gets one in stock, and in some cases, at or above MSRP.

While it is annoying to the individuals who want to buy one, it is hard to find fault with Ruger's production strategy from a business standpoint. They were unsure of the demand, so it's better to produce a limited number and then when/if there is high demand, you gear up to meet it, while prices remain high or higher. If they assumed there would be high demand and flooded the market with the product, only to see slow sales and low prices, that is a bad business strategy. The risk of slow/low initial production and unavailability is consumers getting turned off and turning their attention to other products, especially if something else comes out in the interim.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM

For those who can wait, or forced to wait like me, there is a potential for better pricing down the road, after the demand has gone down some and the supply starts to sit.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 PM

......or more expensive pricing as was the case with the Taurus PT 1911
Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Good gun, be prepared to pay full retail price for the next year IF you can find one!!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 AM

I heard today that they had production QC problems so they are having to fix the issues before they are distributed in high numbers.
RIA HiCap 45
RIA Tactical 9mm
Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Newby View Post
I heard today that they had production QC problems so they are having to fix the issues before they are distributed in high numbers.
And the source of your information is ?

DAT85
Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 AM

saw that posted on another board. his lgs could'nt get him sr1911 and he asked why, counter guy said "they must have a problem with them and don't want to produce anymore untill they fix it". i guess its better to lie about a product,than just telling his customer his conections are coming up short. you know how some people are if they don't have what you want they will say something like,you don't want one of those,i heard they are junk. a friend of friend said,bla,bla,bla. total bs,don't believe everything you see posted on the internet
Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 AM

And the rumor spreads....

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddave View Post
saw that posted on another board. his lgs could'nt get him sr1911 and he asked why, counter guy said "they must have a problem with them and don't want to produce anymore untill they fix it". i guess its better to lie about a product,than just telling his customer his conections are coming up short. you know how some people are if they don't have what you want they will say something like,you don't want one of those,i heard they are junk. a friend of friend said,bla,bla,bla. total bs,don't believe everything you see posted on the internet
It is bad enough that someone's local dealer allegedly told them such nonsense. It is worse, given the stellar reviews of the SR1911 from actual shooters, that it was posted in an internet forum. Gun owners like facts and not crap. Listen to those of us who have gone to the trouble of acquiring an SR1911, bothered to shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds through one, and post first-hand information about it.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 AM

I got lucky... I went into a newly opened Academy Sports here in Georgia and there it was... it DID take me 2 days to convince myself to go back and buy it.. and it was still there - NOW... it's not.

and if this is a sample of what Ruger considers a production problem... DAY-UM.. I'd hate to see what perfection looks like.. (in other words.. I have NOTHING bad to say about this gun.. )

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Newby View Post

Well, ok then, if a gunshop counter drone said it ....it must be true!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 PM

I have no idea what is going on but when they were introduced they were all over Gunbroker at inflated prices.....I have been checking GB for weeks and I am not seeing any new listings which leads me to believe that supply is drying up for whatever reason. It would be nice to know how many have shipped. The other consideration is that Ruger may be simply limiting production.

Patrick Henry

Last edited by rod727; 08-25-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

I hate to say it,but what a lot of people aren't taking into account is that these guns have gotten VERY popular by word of mouth on the different forums.

Supply and demand,pure and simple.

They can only make SO many 1911's and not compromise their standard of quality.

Don't get me wrong,I'm a Baer kind of guy,but the number of people who rave about the SR1911 is impressive.

Ruger has raised the bar for the price point they are at.

DAT85
Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT85 View Post
I hate to say it,but what a lot of people aren't taking into account is that these guns have gotten VERY popular by word of mouth on the different forums.

Supply and demand,pure and simple.

They can only make SO many 1911's and not compromise their standard of quality.

Don't get me wrong,I'm a Baer kind of guy,but the number of people who rave about the SR1911 is impressive.

Ruger has raised the bar for the price point they are at.

DAT85
I agree it's just strange that non are available even at inflated prices.

Patrick Henry
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 PM

I put myself on a list for the SR1911 at the Cabela's in Fort Worth about a month ago and picked it up today.I paid $749,$50 off MSRP,not a stellar price.They are out there,you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

I can't wait to get it to the range.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 AM

There are four on gunbroker right now for $750 and up.

I carry a gun because a cop won't fit in my pocket.

COTEP #CBOB0505
Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 AM

I have one on order with Impact Gun for under $700 if it ever gets here. I agree that it's supply and demand. The first ones that I have read about on forums have been great and at Ruger's price point a good buy. I do hope they are able to maintain their quality in the long run and not cheapen the product to increase profits.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Newbie to the forum here but I've always wanted a 1911 so last week went to by local gun shop who is a Ruger Dealer and they said they were getting 3 SR1911's in for September and lots of guys wanted them. Asked if I paid for it can I be promised one? Money talks so one is now paid for, $715, and I get the first one. Hopefully it will come soon
Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 PM

I have been waiting on mine since June.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 AM

Same here, but I'll wait for it.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:48 PM

Some fun sayings:

RUGER= Rave Until Gun Experiences Recall

S&W= Sh*t & Wipe (Release a POS, then clean up the mess)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 AM

Was on a two month waiting list, got a call from "Lawmens Law Enforcement Supply" the salesman asked "Do you still want the SR1911?" I said "heck yeah" I am on the way to get it. They ordered 20, all sold before they arrived. 549.00 before tax. I really like this firearm. It does not like my S&W magazines. I know why they are made slightly different and does not feed with the S&W.
Other than that it is very nice.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
Some fun sayings:

RUGER= Rave Until Gun Experiences Recall

S&W= Sh*t & Wipe (Release a POS, then clean up the mess)

dude, are you 12 years old?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 AM

I saw one at my LGS this past week. It is a good looking gun and for 6 bills, I don't think you can beat it. It was nice and tight. The finish looked good. I liked it. I'm not that big of a Ruger fan. Some of their guns are classics.