1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 08-21-2011, 09:26 PM

List of recommended ammo

Thought I saw a list of ammo Wilson recommends somewhere for 4" and 5" barrels? I am not talking about the ammo they sell.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtivat View Post
Thought I saw a list of ammo Wilson recommends somewhere for 4" and 5" barrels? I am not talking about the ammo they sell.

Thanks
There really is no "recommended list" anymore.

Wilson, Black Hills, Asym, Federal, Winchester, Hornady (except for Critical defense), Fiocchi all work OK.

Winchester White box often has crimp issues. Same with Remington UMC.

No steel cases.

No Blazer Alum or Brass. Not a lot of crimp.

5" guns work well with most standard and +p loadings.

Compacts work best with standard velocity or +P "compact gun" loads.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Just curious, is there a reason the Hornady Critical Defense was excluded? Does it not cycle reliably?

If you look like food, you will be eaten.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornithoptor View Post
Just curious, is there a reason the Hornady Critical Defense was excluded? Does it not cycle reliably?
It has a rubber tip that catches and skids up the feedramp of a 1911. It is a pure disaster in any 1911.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 PM

My Wilsons (and LB for that matter) don't seem to have an ammo preference. I have shot Federal, WWB, Tula, Blazer brass and aluminum, PMC, and Winchester Ranger HD, and all have fed and gone bang.

I found a good buy on about 3000 rounds of Blaser aluminum and have been shooting about 50-100 rounds a day for the last couple of week without a hiccup in any of my guns.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
It has a rubber tip that catches and skids up the feedramp of a 1911. It is a pure disaster in any 1911.
So would this be the same with the "Power Ball" self defense ammo?
Nra Member, Mo CCW Holder,Wilson Tactical Supergrade, Wilson Elite Professional, Wilson Tactical Elitex2, Wilson Classic, Wilson CQB, Wilson CQB Elitex2, Wilson Cqb 9mm, Wilson Professionalx4, Wilson Stealth, Wilson Bill Wilson Carry, Wilson Sentinel, Wilson CQB Stainless Compact, Wilson CQB Compact x2
DUM SPIRO SPERO
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshthompson23@ View Post
So would this be the same with the "Power Ball" self defense ammo?
No, power ball in .45 acp has a hard polymer tip.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
No, power ball in .45 acp has a hard polymer tip.
Good! Thank you!
Nra Member, Mo CCW Holder,Wilson Tactical Supergrade, Wilson Elite Professional, Wilson Tactical Elitex2, Wilson Classic, Wilson CQB, Wilson CQB Elitex2, Wilson Cqb 9mm, Wilson Professionalx4, Wilson Stealth, Wilson Bill Wilson Carry, Wilson Sentinel, Wilson CQB Stainless Compact, Wilson CQB Compact x2
DUM SPIRO SPERO
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Hello WilsonRep

Thanks for the tip on the Hornday Critical Defense ammo.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM

I just want to say that if using walmart federal or Winchester white box, don't let an ftf be the end of the world for you and your $3000 pistol. This ammo is highly undercharged to save money. They don't have enough bang to properly send that slide back and return to battery as intended. I have an occasional ftf and because of this I will no longer buy underpowered ammo once my dillon gets here. I ordered it 6 weeks ago and am still waiting. I have run probably 10k rounds of this cheap ammo in the past year and had maybe 5 ftfs from it. Your results may vary.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 PM

I stocked up on 1000 rounds of black hills +p barnes tipped ammo because it was a great deal. I thought it would be good practice ammo for my carry rounds which is Wilson barnes +p loaded to nearly the same specs as the black hills. I finally shot a box of it last week. For some reason it shot left a few inches, even when bench rested. I had others shoot it as well with the same result. This makes no sense whatsoever to me. Has anyone else had a problem with a certain ammo landing different than other ammo?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM

My Tactical Elite does the same things with certain loads.

http://adventureswithshortguns.wordpress.com/
Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 PM

To be honest, I believe that the cheap ammo really does have a hidden quality. It gives you the opportunity to practice your clearing procedures. Many times I have seen shooters have a dumb look and stare off into space when their gun doesn't function as it should. With that said I love my Wilson ammo! But won't pass up on Winchester white box for an afternoon of practice.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
My Tactical Elite does the same things with certain loads.
Weird. I can not think of any logical explanation why this occurs. Sure a hotter load could break a little left if you are not used to shooting it, but I bench rested. I was shooting the CQB Elite at that time. I will try it out in a tac elite.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Haven't tried the Hornady Critical Defense but if it works in my Kimber I'm betting it'll work in my WULC. My kimber had a hell of a time digesting Barnes loads (but 500 rounds of break-in and polishing the chmber cured that). My wilson ate up the ASYM Barnes loads better than hardball!

I couldn't believe the out-of -the-bag experience!!

The approved ammo list is so old it's irelevent. The Wilson CDs are also way out of date. I guess they don't need to spend their time on advertising or promotional material. Their products bark for themselves.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTee View Post
I stocked up on 1000 rounds of black hills +p barnes tipped ammo because it was a great deal. I thought it would be good practice ammo for my carry rounds which is Wilson barnes +p loaded to nearly the same specs as the black hills. I finally shot a box of it last week. For some reason it shot left a few inches, even when bench rested. I had others shoot it as well with the same result. This makes no sense whatsoever to me. Has anyone else had a problem with a certain ammo landing different than other ammo?
Different pressures and velocities can cause POI elevation shift but typically not much with windage. I find shooting indoors that I often pull shots a little left from the flinch that happens from the extra blast and racket. One reason I hate..no make that despise, shooting indoors.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Haven't tried the Hornady Critical Defense but if it works in my Kimber I'm betting it'll work in my WULC. My kimber had a hell of a time digesting Barnes loads (but 500 rounds of break-in and polishing the chmber cured that). My wilson ate up the ASYM Barnes loads better than hardball!

I couldn't believe the out-of -the-bag experience!!

The approved ammo list is so old it's irelevent. The Wilson CDs are also way out of date. I guess they don't need to spend their time on advertising or promotional material. Their products bark for themselves.
Critical defense -"can" work-just not often well in a 1911. Out of 20 rounds you may have one round or all 20 where the rubber tip sits above the jacket. Just for grins take a little blob of grease or lipstick and put it on just the very tip. Load a full magazine with the CD round at the top position and feed it from slide lock. Clear your piece and take a look at the path the rubber tip just wiggled up the feedramp.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Just for grins take a little blob of grease or lipstick and put it on just the very tip.
OK .. this forum tends to get me in trouble anyway, but now, I gotta ask my wife if I can use her lipstick? Dude ,,, either you're not married, or you just made up the lipstick part. There's no way you've ever messed up the "oh so perfect shape" of her lipstick, while coloring your bullets. Come on ... tell the truth. :-)

Regardless .. I get your point; your participation in this forum is most appreciated.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray View Post
OK .. this forum tends to get me in trouble anyway, but now, I gotta ask my wife if I can use her lipstick? Dude ,,, either you're not married, or you just made up the lipstick part. There's no way you've ever messed up the "oh so perfect shape" of her lipstick, while coloring your bullets. Come on ... tell the truth. :-)

Regardless .. I get your point; your participation in this forum is most appreciated.
LOL
Lipstick is good for some parts fitting....handy to have a tube in the shop!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Compacts work best with standard velocity or +P "compact gun" loads.
Thanks for the info I have not heard of +P "compact gun" loads do you have any examples? I am looking for a good ammo for my BWC.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtivat View Post
Thanks for the info I have not heard of +P "compact gun" loads do you have any examples? I am looking for a good ammo for my BWC.

Thanks
Here is what "The Bill" carries in his BWC.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP-P...5-160-TACXP-C/
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 PM

LOL... Bill is a pimp...
Old 08-23-2011, 05:03 AM

WC Ammo

New to pistol shooting, but own 3 Wilsons of which 2 are Supergrades.

I can definitely tell a big difference between range ammo and Wilson's ammo.

The Wilson ammo has significantly less flash, sound level, and recoil.

It's all I use anymore.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Cool video that accompanies the ammo specs. That's a pretty interesting concept of testing the accuracy through only a barrel and hammer.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:46 AM

BTT because I found it interesting and other new WC owners might as well