1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 08-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Kimber/Wilson 9mm magazine compatibility

My Kimber Tactical Pro II (4in) 1911 is back at the factory to repair a broken ejector and clean up the barrell ramp. I was told by the technician that this gun can not use 10 round Wilson mags and that this was the cause of the problem. When he called me after receiving the gun, he asked if I used Wilson mags and seemed like he knew what he was talking about. Has anyone else dealt with or know about this issue?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM

do they think the Wilson mag was hitting the ejector? the ejector can be clearanced for most mags, and it's not clear why the Wilson would be a problem without more specific information from Kimber. but you can certainly test this when you get the gun back by inserting a Wilson mag and seeing if it hits the ejector.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 AM

Also check for contact of the top round in the magazine with the ejector.
I had the long beak of a Colt 9mm ejector break. There was no contact between magazine and ejector, even with very firm insertion, but the top round hit the ejector as it came up when the slide cycled. The constant tap-tap-tap eventually cracked the ejector. FLG replaced it with a .38 Super ejector and a little clearance cut so there is no more contact. Somebody warned that the shorter Super ejector might not be positive with the short 9mm case, but the gun still runs reliably.