1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Best place to buy 1911 parts "Kits"?

I find myself with enough time to do something I've always wanted to do which is to build a 1911 .45 pistol. 1911's have always been a favorite of mine and I have several some of which have been service weapons for me. Is there one supplier who sells kits either with or without the receiver? If not any recommendations on acquiring the needed parts? I provide picture as the build progresses or in my case regresses!
Bill
Old 08-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Brownells has just about everything you need including specialty tools to do the work

You can search their site

But call them and request a catalogue
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 08-20-2011, 03:58 PM

I think if you stated a price range you might get more replies. There's quite a broad range of prices. Also, what do you want the kit to include? Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsbud View Post
I think if you stated a price range you might get more replies. There's quite a broad range of prices. Also, what do you want the kit to include? Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.
Good point about the price. I have a theory right or wrong which goes something like cheap guns are cheap for a reason and do I really want my life to depend on cheap. Just a little tongue in cheek humor. I want to build a quality pistol with internals from a well know manufacture like Colt, Kimber or Wilson. Same concept for the frame and slide. I guess what I'm saying is I'm wanting to build for quality not economy.
Bill
Old 08-20-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
Good point about the price. I have a theory right or wrong which goes something like cheap guns are cheap for a reason and do I really want my life to depend on cheap. Just a little tongue in cheek humor. I want to build a quality pistol with internals from a well know manufacture like Colt, Kimber or Wilson. Same concept for the frame and slide. I guess what I'm saying is I'm wanting to build for quality not economy.
Bill
Great. I don't know if you're going to find one stop shopping. I think bullseye1911 has a great idea as a starting point. If it were me I'd look at Caspian for a stainless frame and slide.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Wilson sells a frame, slide, barrel, bushing, slide stop and beavertail. You pick the rest of the parts. Its expencive, around $900 from brownells. But your getting your moneys worth. All the major fitting is already done so its a great start for a fun project. Im actually thinking about getting one myself.

Order a 1911 catalog from brownells, that will help you get alot of ideas and give you an idea of options and price
Old 08-20-2011, 04:42 PM

Fusion sells some really nice stuff too, check there website.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsbud View Post
Great. I don't know if you're going to find one stop shopping. I think bullseye1911 has a great idea as a starting point. If it were me I'd look at Caspian for a stainless frame and slide.
Brownells have Caspian frame and slides as well

Im not trying to advertise for them but I do get a lot of stuff from them
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 08-20-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazy View Post
Fusion sells some really nice stuff too, check there website.
I agree, and Bob is a really nice guy.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM

Sarco, they have everything less the frame.

....build your fist gun with a Foster or Remsport frame and the inexpensive Sarco components. Once you learn you can upgrade the first with premium parts or build up another with a hi-end kit.

BTW- there is no greater shooting satisfaction than shooting a 1911 that you have built.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShoot View Post
Sarco, they have everything less the frame.

....build your fist gun with a Foster or Remsport frame and the inexpensive Sarco components. Once you learn you can upgrade the first with premium parts or build up another with a hi-end kit.

BTW- there is no greater shooting satisfaction than shooting a 1911 that you have built.
+1

Start with a cheap sarco kit (all mil. Surp). They used to have cheap frames too.

The expensive stuff will break your heart if you make a mistake.

I have built with many caspian frames and slides, good stuff. My next will be with fusion, I hear lots of good stuff about them.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 PM

I'd advise the exact opposite.
Buy high quality parts for your first build.

Cheap internet, gun show, and Shotgun News parts are made of low quality, cheap castings.
The "kits' are made up of the cheapest possible parts.
They're all out of spec in at least some areas. This means dimensions are off, pin holes may be crooked or mis-located, and the parts are usually rougher.

When you're building your first gun these out of spec, sub-standard parts can give you fits trying to figure out what's wrong when they don't fit or work properly.
Since each part is out of spec, the tolerances "stack" and the fit gets worse as each part is added.
This can make diagnosing what's wrong a real bear.

Quality parts are in spec and this makes problem solving a LOT easier.
After you know your way around a 1911, then you can build a cheaper gun with cheaper parts if you want.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
I'd advise the exact opposite.
Buy high quality parts for your first build.

Cheap internet, gun show, and Shotgun News parts are made of low quality, cheap castings.
The "kits' are made up of the cheapest possible parts.
They're all out of spec in at least some areas. This means dimensions are off, pin holes may be crooked or mis-located, and the parts are usually rougher.

When you're building your first gun these out of spec, sub-standard parts can give you fits trying to figure out what's wrong when they don't fit or work properly.
Since each part is out of spec, the tolerances "stack" and the fit gets worse as each part is added.
This can make diagnosing what's wrong a real bear.

Quality parts are in spec and this makes problem solving a LOT easier.
After you know your way around a 1911, then you can build a cheaper gun with cheaper parts if you want.
I agree. Thats why i recomended the wilson kit. With that kit almost all the work is already done. Your getting quality and even though its not cheap it will deffinatly be worth it.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 PM

............what do you learn more from?

A kit that has "almost all the work is already done" or one that may have a few oversize parts/out of spec parts??
Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShoot View Post
............what do you learn more from?

A kit that has "almost all the work is already done" or one that may have a few oversize parts/out of spec parts??
Its his first gun build

Hes better off having a gun he can take pride in and enjoy shooting when hes done.

Even though most of the major work is done he will still learn alot and it will be alot easyer for someone with no experiance.

He has alot less chance of ruining a frame or slide and having to replace or weld up either one.

It will be alot safer for a first build

Last edited by fugazy; 08-22-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazy View Post

Hes better off having a gun he can take pride in and enjoy shooting when hes done.

He will take plenty of pride in a 1911 he built from a Foster frame and the rest of the parts from Sarco. None of the parts will be out of spec and there won't be any 'welding up' or ruining of the frame.

How many of you have built up your own 1911??
Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM

He has alot better chance taking pride in his work if he started on the kit i mentioned. It will still be fun if not more fun with alot less headaches. I garantee he will take plenty of pride in the finished product
Old 08-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye1911 View Post
Brownells has just about everything you need including specialty tools to do the work

Bingo. I get all of my KIts from either Wilson, the bullet proof parts, or Brown, the hardened parts.

For my concealed carry and competition 1911's these are the only two sources for parts. For my fun range shooting 1911's, I'll buy parts from anyplace as long as they are forged parts. While I do believe MIM parts are up to par, it's simply MY preference to go with all forged parts.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM

I too am currently doing research on possibly building a 1911 and ran across an interesting page with a guy building a 1911 with a Sarco kit.

http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project...le_pieces.html
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Just an idea...

You said quality is more of a priority than economy. Have you considered a pistolsmithing class with someone like Cylinder & Slide? In the latest Complete Book of the 1911 magazine, they did a write up on a smith ( I think his name is Jim Garthwait) that provides quality components and a Springfield Armory slide and frame.

This way, you are working with good quality parts, and there is someone there showing you what to do so you don't waste them on screw ups. And, as my mother always says, and education is never wasted.
3.)Hearing the lamentations of their women.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Jester I have considered a 1911 school however I need one that doesn't require travel as I'm provide care for a family member and it's difficult for me to leave. Here is an update; I'm waiting for a call from Wilson regarding rear sight cuts on their frame/slide kit which is on sale and would make a good foundation for my build. A friend of mine who owns a LGS has given me all the parts needed to finish the Wilson kit. The parts are new Kimber parts which he took from a new Kimber and replaced the internals with all new Ed Brown parts for a customer. The customer didn't want the surplus Kimber parts so the LGS owner is giving them to a worthy poor deserving person, Me! I'll post more later, but I did want some comments on the Kimber take out parts and the Wilson frame/slide kit. Oh, and thanks for all the comments and links I've read them all and checked out all the links. So far this project is a lot of fun. I'm not new to gun building as I buy, sell and build M1 Garands. Garand parts are quiet a bit larger and easier to manage. Here is a picture of a recent M1 Garand build which is a pre WWII and was a rusty hulk of a receiver when I started. The stock has been hand fitted and is from Macon, Ga gunstock Company.
Bill
Old 12-29-2012, 11:24 AM

hey guys i just bought a frame from a local supply shop and was wondering where i should go for parts... a video that i watched of a built 1911 from that shop had a springfield slide... should i go with springfield parts? also, the shop said that 70 series parts would "fit"... how accurate is that info and whats a good site to get QUALITY parts at ECONOMIC prices? thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye1911 View Post

Agreed. What I did was built a saved wishlist that has all the parts I need for a generic 1911 build. I use it as a base model, swapping out different pieces as desired (blued parts vs stainless, different hammers, triggers, etc). You can even save different shopping carts for particular builds. I just check them off as I get them.

They do charge 5.00 for their main catalog, but their 1911 catalog is free. Their AR15 catalog is free, too. They do have an electronic catalog that can be viewed online and you can create your own catalog as well.