1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 08-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Need Help on older Sig GSR 1911 SS

Can someone help with some solid information on the older Sig GSR 1911 SS?

I like the look and feel of the gun. Trigger is exceptional. Price $800.00.

This one is very low use with a serial number GS 05013. Is this one of the good guys or should I stay away?

Last edited by Bushmaster91; 08-16-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 PM

I just picked up a lightly used railed GSR with a 03416 serial number today for $750. So far, I dont shoot it quite as well as my Kimber Gold Match II, but I have a lot more range time with the GM, but it did do very well today. Everything I've read seems to indicate the GSRs are preferred.

I shoot LSWC a lot for practice, and I had to clean up a sharp edge on the barrel throat that was catching the brass, causing a 3-pt-jam. I've had to do this on my GM as well.

Other than this, it seems like it will be a very nice gun. I've wanted a GSR for some time now.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM

GregJ,

Thanks for the information. There are just a lot of confusing comments about the GSR and problems in the past with quality. Trying to determine at what point in the lineage they improved and fixed the QC issues. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 AM

There is a lot of discussion over on Sigforum. They don't have much love for anything that isn't German. The SN issue has been discussed also. I have a Compact that is SN 10K. These guns had a problem with the barrel and bushing fit. The previous owner had sent my gun back to Sig and they replaced the barrel and bushing. I have a copy of the work order. He wasn't the original owner and Sig fixed it for free. Your gun may of never had a problem, it may of had a problem and it was fixed. The new guns have some MIM parts. The gun you are looking at has none.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Pardue10,

Thanks for the insight. I'm a Sig and CZ fan who owns multiple 9mms. Have one Colt 1911 GC. Just like the look of the Sig 1911. Also, I found here locally a GSR XO not a Revolution XO for $825.00. You have any preference between these two guns?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM

If you do the search about the SN# you can learn alot. You might know this. The Caspian frame guns have a little round cover on the right rear of the slides. Those guns are the ones with no MIM parts. There is a period when some of the older parts were put on the newer guns. It is going to be hard to pinpont a SN range where some of these early issures were addressed. Probably 5K to 10K would be better than earlier #s. However some of these guns had no issuers and some where probably fixed. If you buy a gun and it has problems, Sig will probably fix it. These new guns have some MIM but they are quality parts. I wouldn't have a problem buying any of them. If I could find a early gun with no MIM I would buy it but not pay a premium over a new gun.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Pardue10,

Thanks, that's helpful. This GSR is 5013 serial. It should be good, but will check the slide. I don't believe it has the manhole cover. I check for that last time I handled the gun.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Verified, no manhole cover on slide. GSR SS 5000+ serial. Priced at 750.00 with extra set of Novac tritium sights and 2 Novac mags. Not sure if they're still hot. Any advise?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster91 View Post
Verified, no manhole cover on slide. GSR SS 5000+ serial. Priced at 750.00 with extra set of Novac tritium sights and 2 Novac mags. Not sure if they're still hot. Any advise?
Sig makes a nice pistol and the price is in the ballpark. Sounds like a nobody gets hurt price really, go for it.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Is it in a red box? That SN should have the man hole cover. If it is in the red box it is a CPO. A gun that Sig has redone for some reason and sold as a CPO. Sounds like a early frame with a latter slide. The slides have been marked Revolution, GSR. Sigarms etc. I have a targer model that I bought new 1 1/2 years ago sn GS20K that is marked GSR.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM

Blue Box and no man hole on slide. I guess it's likely Sig reworked the gun. The trigger on this one is crisp at about 4lbs. Has GSR Sigarms on the slide.

Serial is GS05XXX

Now I'm really confused about the gun. I really like how it handles though.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 AM

odd double tap...sorry...

Bill

Last edited by silversport; 08-19-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 AM

your serial number seems to me like a later pistol in the GSR series and must be just before calling them GSR Revolution pistols...my December 2006 SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX is a low 9XXX serial number...no manhole cover at this point...

Bill
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Blue Box and no man hole on slide. I guess it's likely Sig reworked the gun. The trigger on this one is crisp at about 4lbs. Has GSR Sigarms on the slide.

Serial is GS05XXX

Now I'm really confused about the gun. I really like how it handles though.
That is a rarity. If it has a crisp 4lb trigger etc it could of had a lot of work done on it. If you like it and at 750 it is fairly priced. The SN don't make any sense to me. I have a compact sn GS10K and it has the man hole cover. The frame is different from yours. You might could call Sig customer service and give them the SN. I don't know if they would be any help or not. I would suspect that the gun was sent in with an issue and the slide was replaced. It could be a gun that was reworked by the best smith they have. Is the blue box #ed to the gun? Also they could of had some of the older frames that they discovered and built them up. If the blue box is #ed to the gun it would tell you something.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Talked with Sig customer service. Great folks. Gave them the actual serial number and they confirmed that no work had been done at Sig on this gun. They explained that this serial was during the time when they were making changes to the units. Said if I have any problems at all to just send it in for service/corrections.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:22 PM

Pardue10,

Just got a call back from Sigarms on the GSR 1911. They said the correct information on the gun is that it's a certified pre-owned. Here is the tricky part, he said it never left their place as a new unit. He said their gun smith fit the frame to the new style slide and was sold as CPO the first time out. Any thoughts?

Anybody?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 PM

Those guns come with a limited warranty. They are sold at a discount. If it is a couple hundred less than what a current new gun with lifetime warranty, I would buy it. The only thing about a CPO gun, which they do this to the P series also, is it probably will be devalued if you try to resale it. If you know this up front and saving money on the front end, go for it.