1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 PM

SW1911PC vs Others

Hi folks,

Currently, I own a SW1911PC and I am looking to purchase another 1911 as a backup. I wanted to spend somewhat a little less than what I paid for the SW. Recently, I happened to drive pass Cabelas and dropped by to look at the Kimbers, Colts and Springfields. Finally, I can say that I've handled more varieties of 1911.

I looked at:
  • Kimber Gold Match
  • Kimber Custom II
  • Kimber Super Carry Pro
  • Kimber Eclipse
  • Colt Combat Elite
  • Springfield Operator

Depressable barrel
One thing which surprised me a little was when then pistols were uncocked and I pressed the barrel at the ejector port, they seemed to give way. In other words, I can press them and they move. The Colt Combat Elite is also depressable at the ejection port. Is it supposed to be this way? I simply cannot move the barrel of my SW1911PC no matter how hard I press. Things visible on the outside are wobbly tend to make me question the ones that are not visible.

Plastic main-spring housing
All the so-called Kimber steel guns clocked in at 38 oz. When I asked the salesperson why they are lighter than the SW, he said the main spring housing is made of polymer/plastic. He actually told me straight in my face that if he were the one buying Kimbers, the first thing he would change is that plastic housing. Can anyone confirm that this same plastic housing is true for their Gold Combat Stainless Steel gun as well? It seemed strange why Kimber will want to be stingy on this important component.

Shaky grip safety
When I looked more closely at the Colt Combat Elite, the grip safety seemed to have lots of play when I moved it sideways. Things just do not seemed very tightly buttoned down. Is this true across the rest of the Colts 1911?

Tell me your thots. I am just reporting based on a tiny random samples I observed from one single store and it giving me the jitters.

Last edited by arthury; 08-17-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:07 PM

I believe you should take a look at STI. The Trojan appears to be quite a nice pistol - a lot of value. Reliable and well made. I was considering it for my first 1911 .. but went with a Les Baer PII.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Check out the SIG 1911's. Very nice guns and they are bargains for everything they come with standard. The SIG 1911 XO is superb, all American, no plastic parts and very well put together.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Dan Wesson

A lot of gun for mid prices.

Bob
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM

I might be missing something but I believe all of the guns you listed cost more than the S&W PC, do they not? Parts that rattle are not a bad thing from what I understand, that usually means that the gun was built for reliability as opposed to accuracy. If a Government sized pistol is what you are after, I would look at the S&W E-Series. I recently bought a Stainless non-rail version for $779 and is was a great shooter, has alot of features that other guns do not at the same price point, and is 100% made in the USA. I'm not a fan of the Kimber or product due to their recent track record with quality control and reliability issues, not to say that they do not make some fine weapons but personal experience and just reading on this and other forums about PROBLEMS with my KIMBER is getting old. Anyway, good luck with your shopping and my 2 cents woul be; Colt or S&W for a good running 1911.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
I might be missing something but I believe all of the guns you listed cost more than the S&W PC, do they not?
Not really. All of the guns in that list are priced below the SW1911PC.

Quote:
Parts that rattle are not a bad thing from what I understand, that usually means that the gun was built for reliability as opposed to accuracy.
I agree with you on that and so do the others in this thread.

Quote:
If a Government sized pistol is what you are after, I would look at the S&W E-Series. I recently bought a Stainless non-rail version for $779 and is was a great shooter, has alot of features that other guns do not at the same price point, and is 100% made in the USA. I'm not a fan of the Kimber or product due to their recent track record with quality control and reliability issues, not to say that they do not make some fine weapons but personal experience and just reading on this and other forums about PROBLEMS with my KIMBER is getting old. Anyway, good luck with your shopping and my 2 cents woul be; Colt or S&W for a good running 1911.
Thanks for the suggestion and sharing with us your experiences. I will certainly keep these in mind.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I might be missing something but I believe all of the guns you listed cost more than the S&W PC, do they not? Parts that rattle are not a bad thing from what I understand, that usually means that the gun was built for reliability as opposed to accuracy. If a Government sized pistol is what you are after, I would look at the S&W E-Series. I recently bought a Stainless non-rail version for $779 and is was a great shooter, has alot of features that other guns do not at the same price point, and is 100% made in the USA. I'm not a fan of the Kimber or product due to their recent track record with quality control and reliability issues, not to say that they do not make some fine weapons but personal experience and just reading on this and other forums about PROBLEMS with my KIMBER is getting old. Anyway, good luck with your shopping and my 2 cents woul be; Colt or S&W for a good running 1911.
I second that opinion especially the S&W recommendation, I have shot quite a few different brands out there including the les, wesson, Kimber, amongst others and even though most of the models from these manufacturers are very very good to great and tight accurate guns that could go against anything out there I found through my research and trying different guns that my S&W 108284 target model 1911 5" is in my mind as good or as close as you can get to those custom shop models without shelling out the $3000 they want for some of those other guns and the smith is a perfect balance of tight accurate and reliability that I have come to love with mine. While I am not a competition level named shooter I do shoot regularly and have some knowledge on guns and to me the Smith is about as good as factory guns get before going into super high priced custom shop models which if that is what you are after Smith has their own custom shop with their own models for people in that market.