1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 08-15-2011, 02:08 PM

Sig Reliability?

I was talking to a guy at the LGS today and complaining about my Colt. I made a comment that unless you have a fortune to spend on a Semi-custom 1911 you're probably wasting your money (cynical, I know, but I am a little disappointed in my Colt). He said that he and another guy at the shop/range both bought Sig 1911's (not sure which model) a while ago and that both of them have been reliable and they are very happy with them.

Every once in a while a comment sticks with me and this little Sig 1911 devil has been riding around on my shoulder since then, getting louder and more persistent.

I also used to be kind of a 1911 purist, scoffing at external extractors, and anything that varied from the original governement model design. I am more pragmatic now, and learned that hard way that perhaps I was foolish to insist on "the original" with so many great options out there.

Tell me how awesome your Sig 1911's are? I like the Nitron Carry because this time around I'm partial to a commander length. Is it true that Sig 1911's are "more" reliable?

I'm also seriously considering a couple other 1911's, but Sig is definitely in the running.

Thanks for your honesty.

***edit***

Just want to be clear that I do not intend to bash Colt. I will probably buy another one some day
It is bad to have to fight. It is worse to have to fight and lose.

Last edited by too_pure; 08-15-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:18 PM

I have been very happy with my TAc Ops. The Nitron finish is IonBond with a different name. Not cheap to have done after the fact. Sig has been making very good firearms for a very long time. You will be happy with a Sig 1911.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:24 PM

I've been extremely happy with my Tac Ops. So much so that I added a Nitron carry and waiting on a classic series 1911 in 9 mm.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:00 PM

My 1911 SIG Platinum Elite Carry. Does it' part (very accurate) and has never malfunctioned.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM

I'm fairly new to 1911's and started with my first, a Kimber about 2 years ago. I like my kimbers but my experience with them has been up and down. I just recently bought a Sig Tac-Ops and Wow, I love the thing. At first i really didnt consider a Sig 1911 because they didnt look like a true 1911. The abnormal shaped slide and the external extractor turned me off. Then I saw Teefus's Tac-ops carry with the Threaded Barrel and custom grips and the gun just looked fantastic and delightfully different. I only have 120 Rnds through my Tac-ops with 1 FTF and couple failures of slide not locking back. Other than that it has run fantastic and the few failures dont worry me at all as those failures came early on in the 120 round count. I had far worse issues with some of my Kimbers. I'll be putting rounds through it this coming week end. the gun feels great in the hand and the slide runs like butter. The Nitron finish is fantastic,( far better than the Kimpro finish.) I've slowly become a real Sig 1911 fan. I'm curiouse to see Sigs new 3.3" 1911 coming out soon. I say give the Sig a try if your leaning that way. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Even though the sig costs less than most 1911's in its class I personally think the Sig is a higher end production gun. The others are just over priced. Sig has a great Rep. Give it a try.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Sig makes the best production 1911. More features and a great finish.

Not a disgruntled former Sig employee.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 PM

I got rid of my Sig due to a problem with CS, but the gun itself was 100% reliable, and very accurate. They're a very good buy, but inspect it thoroughly before purchase...you might have trouble later should you need to get something fixed.

Kahr DLC K9, Springfield AK TRP, Kimber SIS Pro.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Well it's not going to be a Sig this time around, but it's still on my list. Maybe next. Ended up not being able to pass up a great deal on a SA Loaded.

I still really like that Nitron Carry, and stangely, I am interested in the Scorpion Carry, too.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 PM

Got here after you'd already made your decision, but will add I have fifteen 1911's now, two of which are Sigs. IMHO you can't beat them for fit, finish, reliability and accuracy in a production gun.

TacOP

STX

US ARMY-'56 to '65-SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

That's too bad. The Sig smokes the Loaded.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
That depends. From an initial build quality, accuracy, and comfort standpoint, you're right. From a customer service, availability of accessories, and future upgradeability standpoint, the Loaded probably smokes the Sig.

Kahr DLC K9, Springfield AK TRP, Kimber SIS Pro.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChandler View Post
That depends. From an initial build quality, accuracy, and comfort standpoint, you're right. From a customer service, availability of accessories, and future upgradeability standpoint, the Loaded probably smokes the Sig.
And I do intend to upgrade this one.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:31 PM

Sig 1911 Nitron rail pistol

Just pick up a recent production (2010) Sig 1911 Nitron Rail. My first and only Sig. This Sig run great with Western Nevada LSWC 200 gr and 4.7g of WST. It shoot 2 to 3 inches group at 25 yards and with factory AE 230 ball run from 3 to 4 inches at 25 yds. I am a happy camper.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=too_pure;3405582]And I do intend to upgrade this one.[/QUOTE

I would buy the gun set up like I wanted. It is expensive to up grade.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM

[QUOTE=pardue10;3406436]
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_pure View Post
And I do intend to upgrade this one.[/QUOTE

I would buy the gun set up like I wanted. It is expensive to up grade.
Not this one.

Like I said, I got a really good deal. And the guy knew what he was doing, too.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

There isn't really anything to upgrade, really.

The only thing I might swap out would be the thumb safety for an extended Brown or EGW and maybe the slide stop and firing pin stop for an EGW unit as well. But that is only for personal preference, not because the parts aren't good. I would even keep the white dot sights. I'm not a big fan of night sights anyway.

The Sig smokes the Loaded, smokes the Custom II (hurts to say that) and destroys any S&W 1911 in features and build quality.

Some might say I am bias towards the brand but keep in mind that I don't own one. I am just a little more intimate with them than most people.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
Well, I feel compelled to agree 100%. After you get thousands of rounds through them, really no comparison.
The TRP's are comparable, but several hundred dollars in higher cost.
Sigs have beautiful New Hampshire machining, slide champhered at frame, magwell champherd, bump grip safety, bright night sights, fully detailed trigger group, slide matched to frame, bushing fit to barrel and frame.
And the afore mentioned Nitron finish worth several hundred aftermarket.
Sig is just kicking butt in value. Reminding me of the Dan Wesson Valors I bought when they were first made available.
And much like the DW's used to be, they seem to be almost a secret. AND no modifications required! Buy them shoot them! (ok, some VZGrips..) Now if they just made a 9mm Commander....
Old 08-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChandler View Post
Don't believe it!, I was curious, and not in love w/ threaded barrel on my Tacops Carry TB, so I pulled barrel and bushing from my Ed Brown Special Forces Carry, to see how it might fit? FIT BEAUTIFULLY!
So I know Sig and Ed Brown are at least starting off w/ same fitment numbers. Please don't anyone assume that my trial will work everytime.
What accessories are you speaking of? I've owned a bunch of Sigs, never needed CS for warranty, but they were great on some custom work I've had done.
Just my opinion, quality is quality, value is value.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM

My SIG XO has been 100% reliable. It is an amazing gun for the money! I paid $699 brand new and it has options on it that guns costing $300 more don't have. The only thing I changed on mine was the slide stop. I wanted a tool steel slide stop and preferred the looks of the Greider Precision Slide Stop.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:06 PM

SA makes good guns. I just bought a 2005 Loaded SS. Every small part on it is MIM. The front strap checkering is another 100 for the SA. I have to giggle when you go to the SA forum and they talk about how much more fitting has been done to the TRP and TMs than the Loadeds. I suspect they are wrong. They use the same part up to the Pros. The magwell extenders and checkering and sights are the difference in price between the models. Plus the Sig probably is more USA than any other production gun.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Sig 1911 Carry

My new Sig Carry model cycles 100 percent so far. I like the looks in terms of the choice of external operating psrts from the beefy barrel bushing to the smaller thumb safety lever. The barrel is very well finished and fitted but the trigger pull is heavy and I don't care for the narrow Novak night sights which are not very bright. This pistol was built in May and I understand that more recent builds have wider and brighter sights. The factory magazines are well made and function as designed. Overall the price of $770 is very reasonable.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM

I had a $25 Trigger job done on my Target and it now has a great trigger in it. If you can find someone to stone the contact point it would really help your gun. I didn't change anything but a sear spring.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 PM

Sig 1911 -- too frequently overlooked

Have been shooting a Sig XO since March 2011. Due to its consistency in operations and accuracy, it has became my go to gun (also have a SA and Colt). Have changed out the sights to a 10-8 rear with a FO front. This was done purely as a personal preference, eyes do not focus as well as they used to.

Do not believe that you would be disappointed with a Sig 1911. Bottom line -- they are great guns.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 PM

I got my first sig 1911 in a present from the wife in the tac pac. I've have Taurus 1911s, Kimbers, and man...I can't express how much I love the 1911 that came in the tac pac. Now it's not the same exact model as the tac ops pistol, but almost the same and the accuracy and reliability has been incredible. Much more than my last EDC which was my Kimber custom II.

The only issue I had was with the stock mags...at a 3 day class they started failing after about 100 rounds, but thankfully as I'm sure many others may comment, always have spares...which I did and she ran great. 1200 rounds and no issues other than the mag issue.

I also took my Kimber to the class and tried shooting it for a bit to give the sig a rest and must shoot with the Kimber, but the accuracy is what made me go put the Kimber back and pick the sig back up. The kimber is great...no denying a nice pistol, but after years of progressing thru various levels of 1911's I have to say the Sig rocks!! It's now my EDC!!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 PM

The SIG's are great pistols and a excellent value, BUT everything has some negative and some will have less than favorable experiences with anything. I bought a new SIG Blackwater (1911) and it was second only to a Kimber Pro in my dislike. The Nitron scratched as easily as anything else I've owned, the thumb safety sheared during my third range trip and it was just IMO an ugly pistol. SIG replaced the safety and it ran like a champ, was extremely accurate and a blast to shoot.. They couldn't do anything about the ugliness.. I eventually replaced it with a SA MC Operator and couldn't be happier..

BUT, the OP asked about reliability and it's the only pistol that broke in my hand while firing.. It was running good up to that point.. Cheers.. Ron