1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > USGI/Foreign Military and other Vintage 1911s

Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 PM

colt's PT F.A. MFG. CO.

A friend of mine has a auto SS 45 cal.colt with pearl handles.The SS has designs on most of the gun. The patented ?? R 20 1897, Sept 9, 1902, Dec. 19,1905, Feb. 14, 1911, Aug 19,1913. The handle has the number h165.The guy that owns the gun claims that it belonged to a World War 1 General. The gun was made in hartsford CT USA. Can someone help me identify it and tell me about what it is worth. The clip has the number 45 ACP,KIMPRO,TAC-PRO,AND6,560,907

Last edited by uptonj16; 09-01-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:38 PM

your post is a bit confusing.

does SS = stainless steeL? (and if it's really chrome plated--it aint a good thing).
also, the proper terms are MOTHER of pearl and MAGAZINE (not clip).

a serial number would be helpful as would pictures.

finally, who someone claims owned the gun is worth exactly nothing without documentation..
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Colt 45

Here are a couple of pictures of the gun. you can read some of the info on the colt but I'm not very good at taking pictues.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0041.jpg   100_0058.jpg  
Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 AM

Interesting pistol. it looks like nickel-plating (to me). I'm also not an expert whatsoever on engraving, but the engraving does not look factory to me?? (although it isn't bad work). I also suspect the plating was done over the rust pitting on the frame and slide.

A SERIAL NUMBER would be nice, as mentioned earlier (and I bectha 1.39 cents it starts with a "C").

without any solid historical provenance connecting the piece to a decorated or distinguished warrior, letter from Colt, etc. if someone offered it to me for 400 bucks, I might buy it. Even with the provenance, the pitting, non-factory?? engraving, and nickel plate do not help the value that much.

My .02 cents anyway (and that's about the level of my expertise!).

(PS,not my cup of tea, but if the grips are not damaged, they are probably worth over 100 bucks alone).

Last edited by HughUno; 08-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:08 AM

yes...it appears to be a Colt's 1911 (not A1) in nickle plate...perhaps more information on the Colt's forum??? (or section here)...good luck...nice looking pistol...
Bill
Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
1911 Aficionado

Looks like a previous owner hit someone over the head with the trigger guard. It certainly appears to be of the proper vintage to have gone to war with the doughboys.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Looking at the location of the horse trademark, it was apparently made between 1913 and 1918 (The serial number will pin it down closer.) So it certainly COULD have belonged to a WW I general. But the US Army did NOT issue even general officers with engraved, nickel plated pistols.
This one is not marked United States Property so it is either a commercial sales Government Model or has been "sanitized" like so many.
It is a very nice gun with better engraving than you see on a lot of similar pistols, and real pearl grips. Unfortunately rather neglected since.

The magazine is a modern Kimber product about 90 years newer than the gun.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Like Jim says it's an old Colt that was engraved and nickel-plated. It may be either a military or commercial, but without the serial number there's no way to tell. A lot of these pistols came home from WW1 hidden in dufflebags, and their new owners often refinished or embellished them. The story that a WW1 General owned it is completely meaningless without any documentation. A large percentage of those who were issued 1911 pistols were officers anyway.

Unfortunately, with the pitting that I see along with the evidence that the triggerguard got bruised the value isn't high. It's a matter of how badly somebody would want it, but I personally wouldn't give more than $800 for it.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.