1911Forum banner

Super Carry Pro HD Range Report Update & Photos

22K views 60 replies 47 participants last post by  sacdukhntr 
#1 ·
If you read my last range report on the Kimber Super Carry Pro HD you'll remember that I had some continuing concerns about this weapon's reliability due to the number of "failures to feed" I experienced throughout my first two outings.

Well, I'm happy to say that two simple and inexpensive changes have completely fixed the failure to feed issue as you can see in my range log below:

Range Outing #3

Super Carry Pro HD / Wilson 47C-HV Mag / WWB 230 FMJ (Q4170)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
45) No failures
46) No failures
48) No failures
49) No failures
50) No failures
51) No failures
52) No failures
53) No failures
54) No failures
55) No failures
56) No failures
57) No failures
58) No failures
59) No failures

Super Carry Pro HD Reliability Modifications
I believe that all the failures to feed that experienced in my first two outings can be traced back to one simple design flaw; the Super Carry Pro HD simple operates too fast with the factory recoil spring and with standard magazine springs. Once I changed out the factory recoil spring for Wolff's Improved XP Recoil Spring and started using the Wilson Combat 7-Round, Heavy Duty Magazine (47C-HV) my FTF issues cleared up instantly.

Wolff Gunsprings
I now use Wolff's recoil springs in all my 1911s after several friends that shoot IDPA with me demonstrated how one pound of additional spring force could affect the "felt recoil" of any 1911. Once I installed the extra power recoil spring in my Super Carry Pro HD I immediately noticed the difference. I just wish Kimber would pay attention to little details like this.

Wolff Gunsprings - Improved XP Recoil Spring for Kimber Pro Models $7.89

Wilson Combat Magazines
I've always loved Wilson's 47D magazines and have found them to be far superior to Kimber's factory magazines and to their KimPro Tac-Mag with its Teflon coated follower. The nylon follower used by Wilson Combat is simply a much better design. I run Wilson's new Elite Tactical Magazine in my Custom II, Wilson's 47 OXC in my Ultra and now Wilsons 47C-HV in my Super Carry Pro HD. It's amazing how the little things make such a big difference.

Wilson Combat - 7-Round, Heavy Duty / +P Magazine (47C-HV) $37.95

Kimber Tactical Bump Grip Safety
I hate the standard (no bump) grip safety sold on 99% of all Kimber 1911s but love Kimber's Tactical Bump Grip Safety that they offer online. I've changed out the grip safety on three Kimber 1911's so far and just wish Kimber would bite the bullet and make this standard on all models.

Kimber - Tactical Bump Grip Safety $34.95

Kimber Night Sights w/ Cocking Shoulder
I applaud Kimber's decision to offer night sights with a cocking shoulder on the Super Carry Pro HD but the white paint job leaves a lot to be desired.

New ETC Grips
The bobtail on the Super Carry Pro HD requires a slightly different cut grip that a normal bobtail. Luckily, the folks at VZ Grips have already figured this out and will contour their grips to fit the Super Carry Pro HD at no additional cost. My favorite grip is the Elite Tactical Carry in Black Cherry and as you can see, it looks great on this firearm and fits perfectly.

Conclusions
The Super Carry Pro HD is a fine weapon for anyone that prefers an all-black, all steel 1911 to carry concealed. The KimPro II black finish and "Carry Melt" machining makes this one fine looking firearm. The 4" bull barrel shoots more accurately than I ever will and with a few minor tweaks (recoil spring, new magazines) this weapon is perhaps the finest 1911 Kimber offers.

See less See more
#3 ·
Super Pro

Great write up and excellent pics. You would think Kimber would get it right from the factory. I've been debating between a Kimber Ultra Carry or Sig 1911 Carry model for my next 45.
I haven't been convinced on carrying a 3 inch 1911 at this point .... any thoughts ...:confused:

#12 · (Edited)
I carry the Tactical II Ultra

Great write up and excellent pics. You would think Kimber would get it right from the factory. I've been debating between a Kimber Ultra Carry or Sig 1911 Carry model for my next 45.
I haven't been convinced on carrying a 3 inch 1911 at this point .... any thoughts ...:confused:
Now that I have the Super Carry Pro HD and the Tactical II Ultra I carry both concealed depending upon what I plan to wear. The 3" Ultra in a high-ride Garrett holster is very easy to conceal while the 4" Pro takes a bit more effort. The Ultra is very light weight and you hardly notice it after a few hours carrying concealed. Both guns shoot more accurately than I ever will so it's really a matter of personal preference. I had to get both myself. If Kimber ever comes up with an Ultra with a bobtail I'd buy it in a second!

Here's the 3" and 4" for Comparison

#13 ·
Bump Safety & Recoil Spring

Tactical Bump Grip Safety
I find the tactical bump safety to be much more dependable as you really "feel" it in your palm when depressed. The stock grip safety is much less noticeable in your hand. I actually like the Wilson Combat or Ed Brown versions better but the Kimber model is a "drop in" and the others would have to be fit by a Gunsmith.

<Yes, I know it's not a guaranteed "drop in" but all three of mine were>

Recoil Springs
The stock recoil spring has a 22 lb. rate and the Wolff "XP" spring has a 24 lb. rate. The difference in these 2 lbs is amazing.

#5 ·
Many thanks for the outstanding follow up report and your amazing professional pics. Are you sure you don't work for Kimber? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

What's especially helpful is how you describe just two very simple "fixes" to make the Super Carry Pro HD a flawless shooter. I've always been a fan of Wilson mags and Wolff springs.

I've had my "eye" on a Super Carry Pro HD ever since they were introduced. I think I just might take the plunge!

#8 ·
Wolf designed the springs specifically for the 4" Kimber pistols. I do not understand why Kimber does not include this spring with the pistol. A cheap and definite improvement. Besides the mods above, as my SC came from the factory, the extractor required proper tension. It would fall out upon removal of the FP stop.

#10 ·
Wolf designed the springs specifically for the 4" Kimber pistols. I do not understand why Kimber does not include this spring with the pistol. A cheap and definite improvement.
More than likely a "bean counter"figured it would not be "cost effective"to add something at the "price point"they were trying to maintain.

Just a S.W.A.G on my part. :)

DAT85

#16 ·
With the exception of your choice in grips (I REALLY like the look of the stock HD grips), you have specified, defined and described my next carry 1911 perfectly.

Thanks for the review and details.

-Devin.
Grips are like ice-cream, everyone has a favorite. I have a Super Carry Pro HD on order (Its been four months) and I bought a pair of grips from a Super Carry to go on it. I love the red and black look.

#18 ·
I had lots of FTF problems with my Super Carry Pro when I first got it. In looking at the extractor I noticed the hook was cut wrong. Ordered and installed an Ed Brown extractor, setting the tension, and not a problem since.

#20 ·
This afternoon I purchased a Kimber Super Carry Pro HD. I love the look of this gun all black. I took it to the range for a few quick rounds down range and it functioned perfectly. This is my forth Kimber and I have had very good luck with each one. I hope the trend continues. After I have shot my first 500 rounds I will come back and give my range report.

#50 ·
I purchased a Super Carry Pro a few weeks back. Like the other four Kimbers I have owned (even one with the dreaded external extractor), all have functioned flawlessly. Luck o'the Irish, I guess.

I had been contemplating buying an Ed Brown Bobtail. I was in a unique position financially which made it possible. The more I thought about it, the more squeamish I felt about laying out that kinda money for a pistol. Found a Super Carry Pro at a gun store in Huntsville, AL and plucked down the shekels for that. Don't regret it for a minute. It runs great and has since the first shot. If I take my time, one hole groups at 10 yards with ball ammo is extremely do-able. The rounded butt is comfortable and I think visually more appealing than Brown's angular cut.

I took the money I saved and bought LOTS of ammo. :rock:

I'm glad the OP got his issues with his HD fixed. I woulda been P.O.'d if I had dropped over $1,300 on a gun and had to spend more money just to get it to work

#24 ·
Lots of orders anyone finding these in Shops yet?

Hi, It's my first post. I've been ponfering the Kimber Super Carry pro HD for a while and this and the previous review has pretty much sold me. I carry a glock, and also have a Springfield TRP Operator that I luv for Steel challenge competition. I was wondering how many of you are finding any of these in stores yet? I saw one post. I asked my local shops if they planned to order any...haven't heard back from them yet. Thanx. :)

#27 ·
Pictures of My SCP HD

Put the Wolff spring in, using Wilson Mags, extended slide release by Wilson, CHAOS grips by Larry Davidson, grip tape from VZ (had it from another order) and ordering the grip safety as soon as I can find one. Great weapon. Thanks for the write-up, Jeff.

Bob

#28 ·
I get my SCP HD tomorrow. I have extra Wilson Mags on order and Wolf springs, although I guess they are back ordered and take an extra 2 weeks to arrive...oh well. Maybe I will get lucky and it will run right out of the box. My Spingfield TRP didn't run 100% out of the box either, the fix was a little break in, mag changes (went with Wilsons) and and extractor needed a little more tension. If that's all the Kimber takes, I will be happy, but this is my first Kimber so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The gun just looks so good and feels so good in my hand, I had to order one!

#30 ·
I just purchased a Pro cdp II...can you tell me if the two are the same internally other than the finish and the bobtail?

My cdp runs good out of the box on my handloads...but have heard it can be finicky?

#31 ·
My first post and my first Kimber. Kimber Pro Carry Crimson LG should arrive tomorrow, what kit # are these springs, or will the folks at Wolff know everything?
Can someone PM me a contact on the springs, thanks.
....got 500 rounds of ball just waiting

#33 ·
Got it!

Gun came! Fired 250 flawless rounds out of the box, can't say that for my Springfield TRP. I guess as far as running 100% from the start, sometimes you get lucky on these, sometimes you don't. No problems with the factory mag (yes it only came with one...cheapskates) although if you stuff all 8 rounds in the factory mag, it doesn't like to seat on a closed slide. My Wilson mags, no problem. Anyhow, I had already ordered the Wolf x powered recoil spring, but doesn't look like I will be needing for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.