1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > STI/SVI

Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 AM

STI Trojan - ILS and low profile magwell possible?

Hello,

I'm looking to modify my STI Trojan in 9mm with a Springfield Integral Locking System (which replaces the Main Spring Housing) and a low-profile Magwell. I intend to use this gun for both IPSC and carry, so am looking for a magwell that doesn't increase the size of the butt (along the lines of the Techwell Carry magwell) while also not replacing the MSH (along the lines of the Wilson Combat Magazine Well) because this would also replace the ILS system.

If a low-profile magwell isn't possible, another alternative would be a magwell that could be easily removed for carry (along the lines of the Wilson Speed Chute).

Anybody ever done this or have any advice?

Rudy

Last edited by rudytwoshoes; 07-25-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Most folks on here are trying to get the ILS out of their guns, not put one in a gun that never came with them.
NRA Life Member
Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Most folks on here are trying to get the ILS out of their guns, not put one in a gun that never came with them.
I've seen that... I found one post where at least the guy was trying to avoid removing his ILS, so that was a little encouraging..

I live in a jurisdiction where a locking device is required, and I was hoping the ILS would allow me to replace the bulky trigger lock with something a little more tidy...
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 AM

When I want a mag well that doesn't increase the size of the grip I use a weld on like the one from EGW. It seems to be like the old Ed Brown weld on that I had used a few times. Then you can use any MSH that you want.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
When I want a mag well that doesn't increase the size of the grip I use a weld on like the one from EGW. It seems to be like the old Ed Brown weld on that I had used a few times. Then you can use any MSH that you want.
Good tip, thank-you. I didn't know weld-on magwells existed...
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM

How about finding someone that has or would remove their magwell/msh from a TRP. It'll have a 2pc magwell/msh and have the ILS.
For the right price, i'll sell you mine off my black TRP.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
How about finding someone that has or would remove their magwell/msh from a TRP. It'll have a 2pc magwell/msh and have the ILS.
For the right price, i'll sell you mine off my black TRP.
What he said. Look at TRP's and Trophy Matches on Springfield's website. If that is what you are looking for, post a WTB. There should be 10,000 of these mainspring houses rattling around people's junk boxes all over the country.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 PM

Thank-you for the advice. I have posted a WTB, that was what I was looking for. Assuming the different calibers won't affect anything? The TRP is .45 and I'm fitting onto a 9mm STI

Last edited by rudytwoshoes; 04-21-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: photo I referred to was not correct.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:32 PM

doesn't matter.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 AM

I'm sure you can order an ILS magwell from Springfield if you call. I know they sell the regular ILS MSH's