1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 07-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Les Baer premier II, what are they worth?

Guy is offering a trade of that and $500 for my hw mono. I am just having to many issues with the 4" to shoot it accurately. Guy is in Texas, and I am a little leery of the sale unless he ships first. Is this a fair offer?

Also, what is the difference between the premier II and the concept V, it looks the same to me.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Depending on options I think the Premier II runs around 1600 plus . I'm not sure what you paid for yours so not sure how good a deal it may be.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 PM

yeah, it sounds like he would be getting a better deal than I am getting. I may pass on it. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 PM

Not sure that I understand correctly, but a used PII woud be $1200--$1500 depending on condition. Less if its really used. No more, 'cause a new one can be had for $1700. So taking $1350 as an average plus $500 cash = $1850.

A used Mono Commanche is probably worth $1600 max, assuming no upgrades.

Sounds like a decent deal to me.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 AM

I do have upgrades, the t-chrome, magwell, and night sights. I may pass on this deal. I have a few locally that may work better. One guy wants to trade me a new unfired polytech ak and a colt 1911, and another deal is $2300 cash.

I was thinking the premier was around a $2k gun, but I guess I am wrong. Glad I asked before I said yes.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 AM

you'd be better off selling the mono and buying a new PII..
Old 07-25-2011, 04:15 AM
Banned

Don't do it.

A used PII with standard features is about 1200-1300 in mint shape.

With the options you have,your going to get reemed in that trade.

The 2300 cash deal is better.You are going to lose no matter which way you cut it,but the 2300 cash is as close as you probably get to what you have in it.

My .02

DAT85

Last edited by DAT85; 07-25-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:42 AM

I'm thinking of trading my NIB (pre-Illinois), 5" TR for a PM II but I'm still not sure if it's worth it.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestrookie View Post
you'd be better off selling the mono and buying a new pii..
+1

Read The Patriot -- It's Right, It's Free
http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/
Veritas vos Liberabit
Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5"1911 View Post
I'm thinking of trading my NIB (pre-Illinois), 5" TR for a PM II but I'm still not sure if it's worth it.
What, exactly, is a "pre-Illinois 5" TR?"

Veritas vos Liberabit
Old 07-25-2011, 11:55 AM

made before Les moved to Illinois.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 PM

I thought he moved from Ill to Iowa?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
made before Les moved to Illinois.
"I thought he moved from Ill to Iowa?" - Gaitsman

Yes, he did, but before he was in IL, he was in PA, I believe.

5"1911, is that where your TRS was built? I didn't know the TRS had been around that long. Do you have any pics? Be nice to see one of that vintage.

Veritas vos Liberabit
Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
It couldn't possibly be worth it. Wait...Premiere II or does PM mean something else? If it's the Premiere II, it ain't worth it.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM

To look at the trade from another angle, it would help to discuss the OP's pistol. From a bit of Google-fu, it looks like he has a Monolith Heavyweight Comanche with a magwell, Rolo night sights, and a T-chrome finish. It looks like he paid somewhere between $2500 and $2800 for it.

He would like $2500 out of it, but the reality is there are not many buyers who are going to want that exact gun. A Commander-length gun that carries some extra weight and a magwell combined with adjustable sights is not a highly sought after combination. Holsters for it are a PITA as I learned when I bought my five-inch Monolith Heavyweights. My general rule on custom configurations, based on more than twenty years of buying and selling them (over 100 guns now) is resale value is about 2/3 of invoice unless a famous name (e.g., Heinie, Yost, Pachmayr, Swenson) is involved. So, a $2800 outlay usually resells for about $1866. If the OP has a buyer who is willing to pay $2300 in cash and wants to sell now, I would do it as it may take months to find someone willing to go $2500. If the OP is willing to be patient, he can wait for someone to offer the $2500 asking price.

The trade offer is for a Premier II and $500. Assuming the Premier II is not beat to pieces and looks decent, it is a $1200 gun. So the trade offer is for $1700, or about $166 less than my usual estimate. If the OP wants a five-inch gun, he could ask for the Premier II and $750. Since a new Premier II is $1700, you can look at the trade as one is trading a $2500 (new) gun for a $1700 (new) gun and $750 in cash. That totals up to $2450, so it is close. Of course it only makes sense if the Premier II is mint.

Last edited by farscott; 07-25-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Math error
Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM

the premier is unfired, so basically brand new. I still feel I have more options on mine, than his base gun. Like I said, I am going to pass on that offer. Waiting for the local guy, who I also personally know, we had deals in the past.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasitman View Post
the premier is unfired, so basically brand new. I still feel I have more options on mine, than his base gun. Like I said, I am going to pass on that offer. Waiting for the local guy, who I also personally know, we had deals in the past.
You never know... Like Scott said above, $750 + the P II would be more in line w/ reality. I imagine the owner of the P II is valuing his gun at NEW price since it's unfired. It's possible you could counter-offer and get a deal more to your liking. Or, as I seconded above, you can sell the Mono-monster outright and by your very own new P II.

FWIW, the P II is a helluva lot of pistol for the money. Whether you trade for one or buy one, you won't be sorry.

Veritas vos Liberabit
Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IANative View Post
"I thought he moved from Ill to Iowa?" - Gaitsman

Yes, he did, but before he was in IL, he was in PA, I believe.

5"1911, is that where your TRS was built? I didn't know the TRS had been around that long. Do you have any pics? Be nice to see one of that vintage.
No Trs were ever built in PA
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IANative View Post
You never know... Like Scott said above, $750 + the P II would be more in line w/ reality. I imagine the owner of the P II is valuing his gun at NEW price since it's unfired. It's possible you could counter-offer and get a deal more to your liking. Or, as I seconded above, you can sell the Mono-monster outright and by your very own new P II.

FWIW, the P II is a helluva lot of pistol for the money. Whether you trade for one or buy one, you won't be sorry.

The way the MONO Commanche is set up is not going to be something you will find in a stocking dealers inventory.

The "T-CHROME"option is something that most of us would NOT want(even though it's cool as hell! )

Just remember,a stock PII is available right NOW at a lot of LB dealers stores.

A T CHROME MONO Commanche is not.

This can be desirable or not,depending how hot you are for the special chrome finish.

BTW,I think calling it the MONO Monster pretty well describes it!

Regards,
DAT85
Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 PM

I just do not see how my gun is loosing $1000 in 2 weeks according to someone. Do glocks loose $300 in 2 weeks? No way my gun is worth only $1600, not happening, and I would be a complete f-ing idiot moron to sell it for that.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:48 PM

It works the same way the value of a new car drops the moment the new owner drives it off the lot. Used stuff, even in great condition, is worth less than used stuff, even if not used much or at all. Guns are not immune to the phenomenon and custom or low-production guns take more of a hit than more common, lower-cost guns.

You may not like it, but it is the way it is. You have an offer for $2300, so you are doing better than most.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
It works the same way the value of a new car drops the moment the new owner drives it off the lot. Used stuff, even in great condition, is worth less than used stuff, even if not used much or at all. Guns are not immune to the phenomenon and custom or low-production guns take more of a hit than more common, lower-cost guns.

You may not like it, but it is the way it is. You have an offer for $2300, so you are doing better than most.
then what you are saying is a $500 glock is worth $250? I think not. I understand it is not worth what it is new, but I personally think anyone that thinks this gun dropped $1000 in 2 weeks is in need of a straight jacket.

I saw a used nighthawk with over 30,000 rounds sold on a local board for $2000 and it is a $3k gun new.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasitman View Post
then what you are saying is a $500 glock is worth $250? I think not. I understand it is not worth what it is new, but I personally think anyone that thinks this gun dropped $1000 in 2 weeks is in need of a straight jacket.

I saw a used nighthawk with over 30,000 rounds sold on a local board for $2000 and it is a $3k gun new.
Well, that Nighthawk fit my model perfectly. Another issue is that most educated buyers ignore round counts and want to see the condition, especially of the barrel lugs and breech face. Lower-priced, more common guns, like Glocks, do not suffer the one-third drop in value as there is a larger market for those guns. More expensive, custom guns do take the hit. The higher the price, the fewer the interested buyers. Those who can afford/are willing to pay often have their own ideas about what features are worth the money. That is what makes a higher-end custom gun tough to sell as it has a feature set that appeals to a very limited group of people.

But every market is local and brand names play a role. In my experience, Nighthawks and Baers do not hold their resale value the way Wilson guns do. As for the reason, I do not know. It could be the Wilson warranty/service or it could be a brand recognition issue. I also know that customs built on Colt frames and slides command higher prices than customs built on SA Mil-Spec frames and slides.

Good luck with your pursuit of a better gun for you.

Last edited by farscott; 07-27-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:36 PM

If it helps, I recently paid 1400 for a used PII with optic mount and ultradot that was setup for bullseye with the 1.5" guarantee. I felt that was fair considering the optic and mount adds a good deal to the price as it would cost at least 200 to get a mount installed + 150 or so for an ultradot.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 PM

I agree with the above poster saying the Wilsons seem to hold better resale value. That being said if I ran across a good condition used PII for 1200 I'd jump on it, I haven't seen one around the local shows or shops for that price. I have bought a few wilsons used for close to a new PII price but even then those are not normal here and I'm always happy to find them for the price. The semi custom market is a hard one to sell in I think. If a guy has $2000 to drop on a 1911 he's going to know what he wants and what prices are right for it. With the current money situation out there these guns are not moving. $300-400 Glocks are moving but not the higher price guns around me.

I've looked at the OP's T chrome Baer here and where it's listed for sale and it's too nice to give away impo. If it were a 5" with a few options I prefer I'd be interested myself. I like the T chrome finish after seeing it in the pictures.