1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 PM

Best Turret Press

I have been using a RCBS Rock Chucker for over 20 years and I have been thinking about getting a Turret Press. I was wanting different opinions on which would be the best to buy. Pros and Cons
Old 07-23-2011, 01:50 PM

That depends on what your goal is. Are you wanting to load more rounds per hour? Are you just looking to not have to change die? Are you going to batch load or load a round complete then move on to the next?

If you want to load more per hour and load a complete round and not batch load then the Lee classic turret is hard to beat. The classic turret is the only turret that auto indexes. The spent primers go through a hollow ram into a tube and keeps them from making a mess. The safety prime works very good. I can load around 200 rounds per hour on mine. I have had it five years and have had no problems.

If you are going to batch load them any of the turret presses should work fine.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Go with Blue

I use a Dillion 550B for all of my reloading and have done so with great satisfaction for 25 years or so. I reload 45ACP, 45LC, 44WCF, 38WCF and 38spl. Changing the set up for a different caliber is quick and easy, and Dillion's customer support is world famous.. I have had little break, and when it did, a call to Dillion brought the the parts to my door no charge. Dillion machines have a lifetime, no BS warranty, the applies if you are the first or tenth owner. They fix or replace with no "discussion."

If you only need/want to reload one caliber, then you might consider the Square Deal "B." A few less bucks. Both machines are great value for the dollar.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/Dillo...hines-8-1.html
Old 07-23-2011, 01:59 PM

I am prejudice since I have just completed acquiring the Lee Classic Turret system over the past few months. Last November I couldn't even visualize how it worked, since I have had a CH Champion single stage since the early 70's.
I have now acquired not only the press, the Pro Auto Disk powder measure, the Safety Prime but also the Lee 4 die sets for 9mm, 38/357, 41mag, 45ACP, and 45 Colt.
Once I started using the equipment I saw that not using it with the auto index would be like buying an HD TV and turning the color off.
I therefore forced myself to quit batch processing. I now toss my empty cases in the tumbler for an hour or two. I then empty my brass right to my bench and feed them through the system. Four strokes and you have a completed round to put back in the 100 round plastic box that has my label on it with room to show specifics on six reloads.
Everything works slick as a whistle. Both the Pro Auto Disk and the Safety prime are the best I have ever used. Strangely, I can feel the primers being seated much better than I can using the Lee hand primer. Plus, the press doesn't activate the arthuritus in my hands.
I like it.

Last edited by dickttx; 07-23-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM

I have the Lyman T-Mag II, and am very pleased with it. For me, it gives me the balance between speed and safety - I prefer to perform each stage myself vs. a progressive, but don't have to swap out dies like a single stage press.

The Lyman and Redding presses are both cast iron vs. the Lee, which I believe is aluminum. This is not to knock the Lee press - many are very satisfied with it, but I prefer the cast construction.

The Redding is as well, or better built than the Lyman, has a few more turret holes if I recall, but costs more.

I'm in the market for a yard-sale single stage to do rifle & decapping, but haven't found it yet.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:44 PM

For what purpose?

Myself I'd be inclined to suggest the Redding T7 for what most people expect from a turret - that is batch processing without swapping dies but not sequential processing by turning the turret.

The Redding with compound linkage and ample clearance will handle all the usual single stage jobs. Celebrity users (not explicit compensated endorsement but avowed users) include Mike - Duke - Venturino and John Barsness (who I'm sure was compensated for the advanced reloading DVD and such but equally I'm sure uses what he wants). I like having stations available for the Redding quick indicator using a die with a dial indicator for headspace/shoulder setback adjustment and OAL with seated bullets adjustment so that I have both the loading dies and the gage handy. Equally handy for push through sizing with guppy Glock .40S&W brass and so it goes.

Can't argue with Lee for the usual Lee economy and semi-automation but see above for jobs that really need the beef or maybe assured accuracy.

Then too I've had a Hollywood Universal Turret I bought because Elmer Keith featured it as the best - that was in the days when the 4 position turret for priming punches was meaningful because some primers were domed and some were flat and all the rest. I've also got a combo head 7/8-14 and 1-1/2 - nothing to touch it for real versatility and doing everything anybody would ever want to do on one press at one bench position. It might be the best for some purposes but a silly thing to buy these days.

Again for many purposes a jump to a progressive with a case feeder will pay off quickly and I've got one of those too but it doesn't do the same jobs as the turret.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I use a Dillion 550B for all of my reloading and have done so with great satisfaction for 25 years or so. I reload 45ACP, 45LC, 44WCF, 38WCF and 38spl. Changing the set up for a different caliber is quick and easy, and Dillion's customer support is world famous.. I have had little break, and when it did, a call to Dillion brought the the parts to my door no charge. Dillion machines have a lifetime, no BS warranty, the applies if you are the first or tenth owner. They fix or replace with no "discussion."

If you only need/want to reload one caliber, then you might consider the Square Deal "B." A few less bucks. Both machines are great value for the dollar.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/Dillo...hines-8-1.html
But the question was about turret presses not progressive. I have no experience with turret presses so cannot offer advice there. Can you help?
Jerry
Proverbs 14:34 *śRighteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Another highly satisfied user of the Lee Classic 4-hole turret. Auto-advance is great and does reduce the possibility of a double charge of powder. I get 150-175 rounds per hour output at a very relaxed pace.

Quality at an affordable price that fits MY ammo and budget needs perfectly.

IMHO nobody out there is making 'junk', and all the gear suppliers can meet a person's needs and budget with quality hardware..
Old 07-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Another Lyman T-Mag II user. Great press. I've been very happy with mine.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:13 PM

The Lee Classic Turret Press is awesome. It's their best and most successful design and it's made very tough. You can easily push out 200 round per hour, more actually. Switching calibers is a breeze, everything is a breeze with this press. I started out on a single stage RCBS and when I switched over to the Lee Classic Turret I never looked back. I call it a semi-progressive if that makes any sense? Definitely get the Pro AutoDisk Powder Measure. I hand prime all my brass and don't use the safety prime but to each his own. That's why I can belt out 300 per hour, but that's cheating! I like to inspect each case as I hand prime.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 PM

300 an hour using already primed cases is not so much 'cheating' on the true hourly production rate as it is merely not adding in the priming time done off press - lol
Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 PM

I'm not adding the time it took to hand prime the cases so it is cheating to a certain extent.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 AM

Redding T-7 If you have a Cabelas nearby or anyone that has one for you to look at in person go take a look. When you see it you will understand why it is so highly rated. I use mine for 223 and 308. But for pistol rounds I sure would recommend a Dillion 550.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:57 AM

+1 on all said about the Redding T7 turret press. I have been using one for about 5+ years and love it. Very well made and customer service is great but so are the other guys.

I also put a Hornady case activated powder drop on it with the RCBS Uniflow powder measure. This combo was not hard to setup and works great...Just takes a step out of the procedure.

I like that its built very well and has a positive stop at each station.
Plus the 7 stations are very nice.

I looked at all the turret presses out there and settled on this one because its very well made, Redding is a very good company, the only other ones that were close was the RCBS and the Lyman,,,but when you have all of them in front of you...you will see why I chose the redding T7. Its massive compared.
Kinda reminds me of the old Hollywood presses...!!

I have never used any of the Lee presses but have seen many in action. Some like them,,while others....well you know
I have loaded a lot of pistol and rifle brass on it without any problems. Plus you can get the primer setup for it also...Mine works good and speeds the priming up when I use it. Mostly use a hand primer.

Thats my story....
Don2

When seconds count, 9-1-1 is just minutes away..!!
My 1911 is just seconds away..!