1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 07-23-2011, 12:45 AM

S&W Model 60 Pro Series

I think I've found revolver Nirvana. I bought a S&W Model 60 Pro Series today after shooting a rental of the same model. I has to be the best handling revolver I've ever held. My snubbies (340 and 342 PD's) were too small and light to shoot comfortably, but made excellent carry/ BUGs. I've also had a 686 SSR, 620, and shot a 686 plus a bit. They were all fun to shoot and way to big to carry. How I skipped the 3" barrelled .357 during my revolver career is something I'll never know. The Pro Series, especially, with the slab sides is simply a work of art asthetically, and feels like an extension of my hand ergonomically. I haven't been this happy with a new gun purchase in a long time. The 10 day waiting period until I can pick it up is going to be torture.

If anyone has pictures of theirs or observations about one they've owned or shot, I'd love to hear about it. I started a similar thread on the Smith and Wesson forum, but I'd like to hear responses here as well.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:59 PM

Like you, I love the looks of the SSR's. I just ordered a 686 SSR about an hour ago, it will be here in a couple days....CAN"T WAIT!! I may have to have one of those model 60's too.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM

I bought a S&W M60 Pro last year, I like it a lot. I put on Hogue grips, the stock wood was a little slippery with .357, fine with .38sp, it also knocked an ounce off the weight. I have pocket carried on occasion with Uncle Mikes pocket holster with the end opened up to allow it to sit lower, works fine not too heavy (or too light to shoot .357). Shoots great, accurate as I am with a smooth trigger pull. I like the sights. The 3" gets quite a bit more velocity than a 2" .357. Great all-around revolver for SD or the range.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 PM

I have a 1988 model 60-3 snub nose .38 spcl and it fits in the hand like a glove
Old 08-09-2011, 05:34 PM

Used to have a 3" DAO Model 60, pre-lock in 38 Special. It was a honey even with +P loads. I have been on a search for a 3" model 65 for quite a while but like the looks of the Model 60 Pro a lot.

Be patient and have a great time when the revolver arrives. If I was still shooting revolvers I might get back to reloading-chasing brass is sure a lot easier with a wheelie.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 PM

Well, I got it and I sure am happy with it! It was a blast to shoot, even with .357's (and 2gunpete, I agree completely about it being slippery with the magnums. A trip to Hogue (I live a couple hours from them) is going to happen this week most likely. I'll be picking up a pair of their rubber grips for shooting magnums and a pair of exotic hardwoods for classy presentation (although I have to admit the stock grips are nice looking as well).

Coming from my most recent revolver being a model 340PD, alloy snubbie in .357 with a 2" barrel, I could not believe how easy and accurate this model 60 shot. It is a keeper for sure.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:00 AM

That's a great looking revolver... I have a 627 Pro and I can't say enough good things about it.