1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 11-22-2002, 02:39 PM

F.e.g. Pa 63

New member, first post. Have been reading all the posts about the Makarovs, but haven't read any experiences with the F.E.G. I realize that looks don't count for much when it comes down to "it", but they do look good to me and they are inexpensive right now. Can anyone give me some insight into the PA-63 quality, reliability, etc.?
Old 11-22-2002, 02:56 PM

Welcome aboard, dutchy7.

(I don't know anything about an F.E.G., though. Sorry.)
There was no such thing as a bluff; when a gunfighter reached for his forty-five, every faculty he owned was keyed to shooting as speedily and as accurately as possible, to making his first shot the last of the fight. - Wyatt Earp
Old 11-22-2002, 03:32 PM

Welcome dutchy7

Those F.E.G.s you mention seem to be decent quality little blasters, they feed well and are accurate for a gun of that type. Personally, I believe the double action trigger pull is a bit heavy, but I only had that thought when I used mine in a match where there was some 25-yd. shooting. Let's see if we can get Mr. Stephen Camp to step over here a minute, I'll bet he's had a little trigger time with one of these. Should I PM him that somebody's giving away a Browning HP over here, think that'll get his attention?
"If you decide to carry a pistol, you will have to dress around it, not just try to fit it into your wardobe"---BillD, 03/06/07 @ 09:42 e.s.t.

MINO: 'Money Is No Object'. Feel free to steal that one, everybody!
Old 11-22-2002, 04:19 PM

Don't know much about FEG's.. but welcome.. here's hoping you enjoy this forum as much as I do.. !!

Cheers
mav
Old 11-22-2002, 09:35 PM

They are pretty good guns, but are lighter and kick more than the Makarov in the same caliber. Like most of the FEG stuff, they need some TLC inside, cleaning off burrs, smoothing things up on general, etc. On the guns I work over, I also smooth down the trigger serrations, as they are pretty brutal. The trigger pull can be made smoother and a bit lighter, but with a light hammer a certain amount of spring is needed for reliability, so go easy in that department.

Jim
Old 11-23-2002, 12:16 AM

A good friend of mine has one, and while it is a reliable shooter, it is a pain to shoot. I mean it hurts you hand to shoot it. I would rather shoot a full box of .44 mags through my Redhawk than one mag of 9 Mak through his PA-63.

Gunner45
Old 11-23-2002, 12:19 PM

F.E.G. PA 63

Thanks for the welcome, guys and/or gals!! Makes a newcomer feel good. I really appreciate your answers to my post, and you helped me to choose. I'm gonna' get a Makarov. I have some arthritis in my hands, and it is only going to get worse so will go easy on the finger strain and recoil shock. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:13 PM

Hello. My experience with the FEG pistols is rather limited. I've shot quite a few of the 9mm Hi Power-like pistols, but few of the smaller .380s. I had an SMC for a short time, but sold it before really wringing it out.

The only FEG I have is a "Model PMK - 380." It looks much like a Walther PP except for the more exaggerated curve on the rear grip strap and a hole visible at the front of the triggerguard.

This FEG has proven more reliable with a wider variety of bullet shapes than my Walther PPs in either .32 or .380 ACP. The sights are "on" for me, but really small.

I note that the firing pin's raised into the firing position when the trigger's pressed and nearly at the point of release, which is a bit more "refined" than the Walther from which it is "cloned."

It is more "carry friendly" with its aluminum-alloy frame and I've noted no gouges from its feeding blunt JHPs, both handloads and factory. It should be noted that neither have I really run many rounds through this pistol so I'm NOT the guy to ask concerning long-term durability of either the aluminum feed ramp or the pistol in general.

Here's what I can say from personal experience:

1. If a Walther PP/PPK/PPKs chews you up, so will this pistol. At least, it does me.

2. Even though very smallish, I find that the Hungarian pistol's sights ARE well-regulated for the .380 round at 15 yards or so. I have yet to shoot a Walther PP-series that didn't hit high for me at any distance beyond about 7 yards. The .32s in that make do hit spot on for me. I cannot prove it, but I THINK that Walther did not change the front sight height from that of the .32 when they offered the pistol(s) in .380 ACP.

3. Accuracy is on par with the Walther in my opinion.

4. Both the DA and SA pulls are plenty good and the DA pull on my FEG is lighter and as smooth as that on my .380 Walther PP, but not so smooth as the older, used PP in .32 ACP.

5. Finish and machining is NOT at the same level as the Walther.

Most often, this pistol is liked, used, or compared to the Makarov pistol. It is my opinion that for occassional shooting and carry, either will serve a person wanting a .380 or 9x18mm pistol. I do think that if one plans on shooting lots of ammo, the Makarov is the more robust pistol and I personally prefer the Mak even though it is a bit thicker and heavier.

That said, I do trust the little FEG to feed JHPs better than my .380 Walther PP.

Best.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:15 PM

F.E.G. PA63

Thank you, Mr. Camp. Sure would be nice to try one of them out before buying, but about the best a guy can do is ask for opinions, take a deep breath and "draw!"

E.G. Makarov, here I come.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:17 PM

Hello, sir. You are most welcome.

Best.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:22 PM

I had a FEG SMC-380 (like a Walther PPK) which apparently is about the smallest pistol imported since GCA '68. It was very light and compact. I ran 2-3 boxes thru it without a failure. It was well made and well finished (the magazine was pretty light sheet metal however). I only sold it because I didn't have much use for a .380 .