1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Back from Cerakote

Almost, anyway. She is with Wilson right now for a once over and new sights (Battle w/ Au front sight).

I cant say enough good about NIC/Cerakote and Wilson. Not only are they "gun people," but they are HIGHLY professional, VERY knowledgeable, and eager to prove how good they can be.

WCR, Booty: you guys rock.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 PM

Looks nice!!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Had a SIG229 cerakoted in a two tone desert sand lower and a matte black upper and controls....it looks great! Came back perfectly reassembled, properly lubed, zero issues.

FN in MT
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Looks great, want to see it with the new sights and grips on!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 PM

Looks really great! What about this finish makes it unique? What it's similar to? Ionbond, Armor tuff, Melonite, etc. etc.

Isn't cerakote the same as what Springfield armory uses? Seems like I've seen a company that uses it a their standard finish.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Banned

Looks good. I have a few Cerakoted guns as well and like it quite a bit.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM

Looks great man!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:28 AM

wow! that looks really good. Let us know how it holds up. The FFL guy I go to is gonna start offering that coating as a service. So I am really curious.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:17 AM

Good looking. My work shotgun is cerakoted and has held up well.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsumtn2say View Post
Looks really great! What about this finish makes it unique? What it's similar to? Ionbond, Armor tuff, Melonite, etc. etc.

Isn't cerakote the same as what Springfield armory uses? Seems like I've seen a company that uses it a their standard finish.
While NIC keeps the formulation of Cerakote proprietary, they do say a few things about it. It is more similar to Gen III than Armor Tuff. Armor Tuff is an epoxy based finish with friction modifying additives. Cerakote is an epoxy with a "ceramic" modification. They dont specifically state what that means, but I have some ideas and did a bit of investigating/literature review. So, I may or may not accurately describe Cerakote - for that information, you would need to contact them directly. I will say if I understand it correctly the modification they did to the polymer system resuts in a uniquely wear resistant coating that has considerably less water affinity (meaning less water is absorbed by the coating) - which means better corrosion resistance than other "straight" epoxy finishes.

SA uses Armory Coat - which is an epoxy-phenolic resin (If I understand it correctly) with pigment and friction modifiers (such as PTFE or MoS2). As for companies that use it as a standard finish, I'd call Cerakote/NIC to find out the truth. I highly recomend making the call and getting some info - they are very knowledgable and helpful. Plus, when you (the generic "you", not igot) talk about it here, you will know what you are talking about and not propigate grossly wrong internet speculation.
Bill's Training Blog

Last edited by blr; 07-10-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 AM

It wasn't two weeks ago even that you sent that off.

That is looking really good.

I thought that handgun had a lot of character with the wear it had before. It appears that your judgement so far is serving you as well as that handgun apparently served you before.

This has got to be an exciting evolution for you. You'll essentially have a brand new firearm here pretty quick.

I've often wondered how these firearms were "painted". I'm not seeing any magic secret. That looks like clothes hangers and two by fours, just like I might have used when re-painting a bicycle as a kid.

That is looking really good.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Why did you choose Cerakote over Amortuff?

I know it costs less, but I doubt that's why you did it.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffnevy View Post
Why did you choose Cerakote over Amortuff?

I know it costs less, but I doubt that's why you did it.
In my opinion, Cerakote is the ultimate polymer based finish. I dont think Cerakote is less expensive than Armortuff. Armortuff is polymer + phosphate/parkerizing adding to the cost. While Armortuff is good, it is not the best i(n my opinion).

I came to this conclusion after a lengthy phone conversation with Booty on the forum (he is the Cerakote product line manager).

In other words, I went with Cerakote for the same reason I typically go with Wilson - they are the best availible. When that changes, I will change vendor. Simple as that.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM

I'd like to offer my services to field test the different finishes.

WCR if you are listening, please send me 5 identical CQB's. I'll have 1 in AT, and the other four finished in different brands, then spend the next 35 years doing an in-depth wear comparison, making sure I shoot and carry each weapon in similar conditions. I know it is such burden but I will be glad to make this sacrifice!
Wilson Combat Firearms: CQB Elite Turnbull Blue / Case Hardened .45, CQB .45, Lightweight Protector Compact .45, CQB Tactical LE.45, CQB-C .45, Stealth .45, Sentinel .45, Colt Custom .45, High-Cap Championship Special .38 Super Race Gun, Spec Ops 9, Scattergun Tech. TR-870 12 ga., UT-15 .223 with W/C .22 Upper, OD ADP 9mm, WC .22 1911 conversion
Old 07-10-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
... Plus, when you talk about it here, you will know what you are talking about and not propigate grossely wrong internet speculation.
I have never seen that happen before.

She looks brand spankin' new. I am looking forward to some before and after shots. It seems that a lot of people choose cerekote for lots of applications other than firearms as well. They have developed one heck of a product.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTee View Post
Really?

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=317535

There are many more.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTee View Post
Sarcasm is wasted here. Couldn't be more obvious. FWIW i laughed.
I look forward to BLR's long term reviews on the Ceracote. It's rare to get finish reviews on guns from someone like him who not only knows about their process and composition but will actually use the gun.
As an owner of quite a few NHCs my take on the permacoat thread attached is that its not a " Joke " but is sub par for the semi custom market and I'm glad to see it phased out.

Last edited by bereahoward; 07-10-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:49 PM

My experiences with Permakote has been very positive.

In the high end epoxy coatings, the epoxy-ceramic ones almost universally have the best wear and corrosion resistance.

FWIW, DoD agrees with that. Much of the original techonology came out of Washington state where Boeing is/was.

Incorrect application can make a coating look sub-par when it really is a mistake.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
My experiences with Permakote has been very positive.

In the high end epoxy coatings, the epoxy-ceramic ones almost universally have the best wear and corrosion resistance.

FWIW, DoD agrees with that. Much of the original techonology came out of Washington state where Boeing is/was.

Incorrect application can make a coating look sub-par when it really is a mistake.
Hey BLR. Being the "Guy who knows his finishes" that Bereahoward says you are, I thought I might ask your opinion on Duracoat. Namely from a company called 7.62 precision.

While their sample finishes look absolutely outstanding, They don't really give any in depth description as to what their Duracoat process is comprised of. Anyway, I just thought you would be the man to know.

Thanks,

WMII
Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Igotsumtn2say sending you a pm about the Duracoat process
Old 07-10-2011, 09:23 PM

I realize this isnt a permacote thread, but you brought it up bud. I did have my say in that thread and I shall defend it. I am not arguing that it isnt a great corrosive protectant and lubricant. I was a little concerned when I got a brand spankin new gun and the stuff was wearing off already. Is it a joke? Probably not. Would you not be upset if you got a brand new gun that the coat was already worn off and showing the natural steel color? I am not looking for an answer bro. I know you know your stuff when it comes to coatings, and I enjoy reading your professional stance and explanations on them. I was just defending myself.

And of course my post was sarcastic about never reading something untrue on the internet.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 AM

I suspect if you were to actually look into the problem, you would find it was a result of incorrect application and/or curing. Not the coating material.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I suspect if you were to actually look into the problem, you would find it was a result of incorrect application and/or curing. Not the coating material.
You are exactly right! At our shop, we have tested and played around with KG and NIC. I prefer the KG because of the consistency being that it is already mixed. They both hold up extremely well and are awesome stuff. IMO though Diamond Black and Melonite are much superior finishes. I say this from having guns done in all 4. Diamond Black, while being pricey, is one hell of a durable finish.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
...where Boeing is/was...
Was!?!
The airplanes are still built in WA, just corporate offices moved...
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
rsxr22: "IMO though Diamond Black and Melonite are much superior finishes. I say this from having guns done in all 4. Diamond Black, while being pricey, is one hell of a durable finish.
My experience with Ionbond has been equally positive. Here's a compact Wilson with it. I haven't seen many Wilson's with the finish. I'd be glad to see Wilson start offering advanced finishes, but I assume there is not a good business case for it.

Last edited by Klickboom; 07-11-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: quote attribution