1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 AM

I bought a Kimber Polymer Gold Match .45 Cal

I just bought a Kimber Polymer Gold Match .45 Cal.

I didn't even know that Kimber made a "Plastic" gun.

Any one own one of these or can anyone give me any information on it?

I'm off to shoot it this afternoon.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 PM

As a matter of fact I can fill in some of the information. What you have in the photo is a Kimber BP Ten II, it is a high capacity 14 round double stack 1911. You can get various capacity magazines for the pistol, 14 round mags that stick way to far out of the butt for my liking, a 13 round flush fit, much better, and a 10 round mag, as these pistols were released and produced during the high capacity ban. The frame is made of polymer with steel inserts for the slide to ride on. I have heard that Kimber discontinued the BP Ten II. As for why they discontinued it I don't know. I have also heard a rumor that if the BP Ten IIs are sent in to Kimber for warranty repair, they replace the polymer frame with a single stack frame. I have not been able to verify that rumor. I have a BP Ten II Pro Carry Stainless with an adjustable express sight setup. Not the best choice I have made in sights, but they are better than non adjustables that came on the pistol. Here are a couple of pics of mine with a 13 round flush fit mag.

Attached Thumbnails
Kimber BP Ten II Pro-Carry Left side.jpg   Kimber BP Ten II Pro-Carry Right Side.jpg   Kimber XS sight picture.jpg  
Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

The OP's gun isn't actually made by kimber. it was imported from a company in Israel and stamped for kimber. it is now being imported by Charles Daly.

they're decent guns. i had one for a while, and I sure do miss it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwYqGmVvzQ
Old 07-08-2011, 03:35 PM

Location: Land of mists and mellow fruitfulness...oh, and rain. Lots.
it's a Kimber/Bul colaboration, ( the Israeli company mentioned by deltakilo). Bul made the frames and Kimber either supplied the machining specs or the complete uppers to Bul as they are identical in every way, save for th eroll marks. Bul also sold them here as the Bul M5 series. I can't tell if yours is first gen or second gen. The 2nd had the rounded trigger guard like yours, but the beavertail looked like an Ed Brown style with a raised pad, yours looks like the first gen beavertail, though the first generation had a pronounced hooked trigger guard. Charles Daly imported very few before going under.

Guysmiths is a later, all Kimber model, the BP. There was a parallel model, the kimber Ten, which, other than a stainless finished slide (and occassional safety and slide stop), was identical.
I've had four or five of them, still have a Polymer Stainless Pro, it's a very good reliable shooter.
Mec Gar make 14 round mags for them, they run about $30 from Midway.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Thanks for you information - I've gotten very good input from different gun forums.

I think I've found out that BUL made the frames and Kimber (McCormick) supplied the tops.

I just got back from the range.

It shot like a Kimber - in other words - like a dream.

Absolutely not a failure of any kind in my 1st 100 shots.

I usually do not take pictures of my targets - but here are my 1st ten shots

The reason i do not usually take pictures is that I get worse the longer I shoot.

I like it.

Last edited by dondavis3; 07-08-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Judging buy the STI trigger, I would say that's an old gun.
Made pre series II. I would say it was made somewhere around 1998, as they dropped those triggers very early. Kimber should be able to tell you.

I always wanted one of those in Stainless.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 PM

@ Jason D

You mean like this?

I found this picture of another mans gun while doing my research.

I like it so much I may send my slide to CCR http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/

for them to do their magic to it.

I've had several of my slides done by CCR.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 PM

@ Jason

Whats a STI Trigger?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondavis3 View Post
@ Jason D

You mean like this?

I found this picture of another mans gun while doing my research.

I like it so much I may send my slide to CCR http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/

for them to do their magic to it.

I've had several of my slides done by CCR.

Yep.
It even has the target sights I like.

Quote:
@ Jason

Whats a STI Trigger?
It's a polymer, or what some will say is a carbon fiber trigger that was made by STI. It was used in the very early Kimber guns. You can always tell an old Kimber right of the bat, if it has the black trigger like that in your photo.

That's not to say that you couldn't buy an STI trigger and put in a newer gun. Kimber dropped the triggers pretty quickly. They were only in the production guns for a year or two. Just because Kimber dropped them, doesn't mean it's an inferior part.

My Kimber Target model had one of the best triggers of any gun I own.

Circa late 97, early 98.
1911forum member #7
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 PM

@ Jason

Mine has the target sights also.

It's just very hard to see them because of the angle of the picture.

My trigger is definitely black and I'd guess polymer - I'd have to call Kimber to find out.

Can the trigger be changed in this gun to a metal one, silver or chrome?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 AM

Yes the trigger can be changed, but you will need a trigger for a double stack 1911, like a Para or STI.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 AM

I know this is off topic...I see that your ammo is +P....I was told by Kimber not to use +P because its too hot. Did I misunderstand?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 AM

@ XKR

I was just using the ammo as a prop for the picture.

I don't know about being able to use it in a Kimber.

I don't believe a steady diet of +P is good for any make gun, but I'm surprised Kimber's cant shoot it.

Does anyone know if you can use +P ammo.

Last edited by dondavis3; 07-10-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Plus 1 on the double stack trigger.

Any full sized 1911 should be able to handle +p ammo just fine.
It wouldn't hurt to install an 18 pound recoil spring for +p ammo though.
1911forum member #7
Old 07-13-2011, 01:53 PM

I called Kimber and found out the frame is made by BUL Israel and the rest of the gun by Kimber in house.

In 1994 the did get a lot of design help from Chip McCormick, but did not sub-contract and manufacturing to him.

My gun was made in made 10/24/2001.

They made this gun for about 8 to 9 years.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM

I would NOT shoot +P ammo out of the BP Ten II of any variation. I have been conversing with somebody who had one and the polymer frame cracked shooting standard velocity ammo. When he sent it in to Kimber they replaced his polymer frame with a single stack steel frame. I had heard a rumor that Kimber was replacing the polymer frames when they came in for repair. But until a few days ago I hadn't been able to verify the rumor, now it has been confirmed by one owner at least. Sooo a word to the informed would be to not shoot +P in a BP Ten II.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info.

But the Kimber manual and the tech rep I talked to both say that the gun can shoot +P ammo.

Remember it's not a BP10. I don't have any idea if that's the difference.

But it's all kinda academic anyway as I probably will shoot this for fun & competition any way.

I don't shoot +P rounds doing either of those.

Thanks again

Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM

News Flash for you dondavis, your pistol is an early version of the BP Ten II. It has a Polymer hi-capacity frame. Your pistol and my BP Ten II frames were made by the same maker(BUL), as well as the Charles Daly polymer pistol and have the same metal rail inserts. The only deference is you have a metal GS and I have a polymer GS and yours is a 5" and I have a 4". I would think that the owners manual was printed before Kimber knew they had a problem with frames cracking, hence them printing that using 45 +P was ok to use. Beside is there really an advantage to shooting 45 +P? All I can think of is disadvantages.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:19 PM

I think that is what I said in a nice way.

But thanks for the news flash
Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Sorry didn't mean to come off mean. By the way good luck in finding a holster to fit that polymer frame. Due to the thicker dust cover fitting a hand boned leather holster or a kydex holster fit for a steel frame won't work too well. I use a High Noon "Need for Speed" when I carry mine.

Last edited by guysmith; 07-13-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Location: Land of mists and mellow fruitfulness...oh, and rain. Lots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmith View Post
News Flash for you dondavis, your pistol is an early version of the BP Ten II. It has a Polymer hi-capacity frame. Your pistol and my BP Ten II frames were made by the same maker(BUL), as well as the Charles Daly polymer pistol and have the same metal rail inserts. The only deference is you have a metal GS and I have a polymer GS and yours is a 5" and I have a 4". I would think that the owners manual was printed before Kimber knew they had a problem with frames cracking, hence them printing that using 45 +P was ok to use. Beside is there really an advantage to shooting 45 +P? All I can think of is disadvantages.
News flash for you guysmith, Kimber designed the new frames for the BP and Ten series in house and developed them with a different vendor.
Bul continued to use their own frames on their M5 guns and those imported by Daly

my stainless pro carry....

YMMV but it fits snuggly, but nicely in all of my 1911 holsters. Here it's in a VM II:

Last edited by asiparks; 07-13-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 PM

Kimber poly target double stack 1911

Quote:
I called Kimber and found out the frame is made by BUL Israel and the rest of the gun by Kimber in house.

In 1994 the did get a lot of design help from Chip McCormick, but did not sub-contract and manufacturing to him.

My gun was made in made 10/24/2001.

They made this gun for about 8 to 9 years.

I just bought a KIMBER TARGET poly double stack, with the recurve trigger guard (similiar to a GLOCK) and it looks to have an STI trigger and STI (millet) adjustable rear sight but the rese sight is marked Kimber but i thought only a few manufacturers actually make those adj rear sights (millet) STI i believe even came on IVER JOHNSON eagle 1911s.

I dont know too much about this TARGET modeli just bought,it is a double stack and the magazines are hard to come by,but my LLAMA double stack mag works in it perfectly. MECGAR makes mags but they are out of stock everywhere but i see them on gunbroker for $30.
I test fired it before i bought it and it is a tack driver and is very light and not as bulky as people claim. Im going to run it in USPSA steel challenge where the 14rd capacity will be an asset.
I was curious since this is a first gen KIMBER TARGET model with the recurves trigger guard, what did these go for new? Also what input did CHIP MCCORMICK have with the KIMBER POLY double stack 1911s?

It is a great pistol in my opinion but i can see why 1911 purists didnt flock to it now that XDMs and GLOCKS became so popular. I like the fact i can customize it like a highend STI/SVI/INFINITY double stack but for a cost effective price.

What modifications if any did KIMBER TARGET poly double stack buyers do to this model. Mine came with a full length guide rod and the lockup and trigger are phenominal, i cant imagine why you dont hear more about these.

Thank you in advance for any other info
Old 11-02-2013, 05:13 PM

Well i put my recently purchased KIMBER TARGET POLY DOUBLE STACK vs My GLOCK-34 at the range.
The brand new glock-34 has a full ZEV spring kit and skeletonized connector, with chamfered edges and heavily polished approx 3.5lb trigger.
The KIMBER was measured at 4.75lbs.

At 10yards the KIMBER had minimal muzzle flip and great double tap/short strings.
Having won a production class steel challenge with a glock-19 i thought the glock-34 would be that much better and honestly my GLOCK-17C was much better and even the Glock-19 i feel more comfortable and accurate with from a draw.

The KIMBER has alot of haters and i am a COLT 1911 purist, but this KIMBER is much better than the BUL M-5 Charles Daly i owned years ago which had numerous MAG and FTF issues.
The KIMBER TARGET POLY shares the same magazines as a cheap llama double stack i bought years ago for my misses. I also found the magazines for sale on gunbroker as well as ebay occasionally.
All in all this KIMBER TARGET with F.L.G.R. Needs nothing but im going to put a BRILEY spherical bushing on it because it could be a bit tighter.
It is one of those pistols that didnt appeal to alot of people, so haters bad mouth it.
I find it to be a very accurate,easy to point, slim at the top of the grip frame and not as wide as people say it is. Minimal muzzle flip and felt recoil. I like that the slide catch lever is recessed to allow you to use a thumbs layered grip without engaging the slide catch accidently and it just feels better.

I tried to ask questions about the KIMBER TARGET before i bought it and i could tell the responses were from keyboard commandos who either never fired one nor like Kimber in general. I am glad i bought it for a steel challenge pistol. I highly reccomend the KIMBER TARGET POLY double stack if you can find one.

Moral of the story dont listen to anyones advice unless they have owned or at least fired a pistol they are commenting about.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 PM

S.t.i.

Quote:
@ Jason

Whats a STI Trigger?
S.T.I. Trigger,and my favorite S.V.I./INFINITY, make some of the best small parts made.

http://www.stiguns.com/small-parts/

This is a cheap S.A.M. Philipino 1911 my misses used for single stack division i bought her and upgraded to STI adj rear, and STI trigger "short bow"
INFINITY DISCO/SEAR, i do not endorse any armscor/SAM 1911s but IVER JOHNSON gave her a great deal and are local to where we live. The IVER eagle wasnt a bad 1911 for under $550 brand new

Last edited by Battery; 11-02-2013 at 05:22 PM.