1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM

McCormick mags and aluminum frames...

My Email to CMC and their answer.....

Hi, I recently purchaced 6 Shooting Star 45 ACP mags, three 7 Round compact and three 8 round full size. I just read that the followers in these mags can damage my aluminum frame Kimbers. I see that your PowerMag + follower is safe for the aluminum frame pistols. Can I buy just the PowerMag+ followers? I hate to spend the extra money for springs, since my Shooting Star mags are new.

Thanks,, Larry Snyder

Mr. Snyder,

Yes, the Power+ follower is available to retro-fit to any CMC mag and the Power+ follower works with the original springs. Howeverr, before you make a final decision about whether or not the Power+ followers are all that necessary to eliminate your concerns with aluminum receiver, understand that the methods of how the pistol is operated by the shooter are directly related to how much concern is valid?

Familiarizing yourself with the following information should assist you in making your decision:

Power+ Followers & CMC’s Original 45 Cal. Followers

1 - The only way the original follower design might mark the receiver is when thumbing the slide stop down to drop the slide on an empty chamber, with the magazine in place.

2 - Knowledgeable shooters who respect their equipment never purposely drop the slide on the empty chamber of a fine 1911 pistol, as it is damaging to the pistol.

3 - If subsequent to slide lock it becomes desirable to have the weapon in the unloaded condition; if the magazine is first removed, the chamber is made and/or determined clear, and the slide is gently eased down on an empty chamber, as opposed to allowing the slide to slam down on an empty chamber, no marking of the receiver by the follower can occur.

4 - The function of the new POWER+ follower completely eliminates any concern of the follower making any contact, whatsoever, to any part of the pistol, regardless of the operator’s methods.

Dating back to 1986, the original follower design as used in CMC’s lines of Classic, Match Grade and Power Mags has been the only follower design used in all CMC .45 cal-1911 magazines during CMC’s first 22 years in the business of producing 1911 magazines. The design was born with a specific set of objectives; to offer the most serious types of shooters the very highest levels of reliability in every area of function, and longest possible service life. With the original follower design, CMC came to become the number #1 seller of high end aftermarket 45 cal-1911 magazines.

Among the numerous advantages the original follower design yielded, one of the functions it excelled at better than any other design…before the POWER+ follower design was developed, is reliable slide lock upon last shot fired. All of the original CMC followers purposely jump forward at the point of engaging the slide stop upon last shot fired in order to obtain appreciably more engagement to the slide stop than any other fully retained design had previously been able to obtain. The importance of that function (slide lock upon last shot fired), especially with law enforcement, military and for self defense weapons is that it offers the most reliability for locking the slide open and signaling to the shooter that the weapon is empty; an extremely important feature for those who use their weapons as serious tools. The only way the original follower design might mark the receiver is when thumbing the slide stop down to drop the slide on an empty chamber, with the magazine in place.

In the world of serious martial arts with 1911 pistols being used as serious tools, as it was learned in the early 1980’s by Chip McCormick, president of CMC, that ever allowing the slide to be dropped with full momentum on an empty chamber is an event that knowledgeable shooters never allow to happen, for two reasons. First, the objective is to keep the weapon loaded and at the ready or carefully cleared and determined as being in completely safe condition. Second, knowledgeable shooters who respect their equipment never purposely drop the slide on the empty chamber of a fine 1911 pistol as it is damaging to the pistol.

The original CMC follower can only make a mark on the receiver if the slide stop is thumbed down subsequent to the pistol going into slide lock. If subsequent to slide lock it becomes desirable to have the weapon in the unloaded condition; if the magazine is first removed, the chamber is made and/or determined clear, and the slide is gently eased down on an empty chamber, as opposed to allowing the slide to slam down on an empty chamber, no marking of the receiver by the follower can occur.

When pistols are feeding live ammo the action of the slide moving forward to feed each live round significantly dampens the forward momentum of the slide. When the slide moves forward on an empty chamber with no round to dampen the forward momentum, which likely only happens when thumbing the slide stop down to release the slide, it's the same as taking a ball peen hammer to the close tolerance surfaces that make the pistol accurate. The result of the slide slamming forward on an empty chamber can be far more damaging to the pistol and should be much more concerning than the follower making contact with the receiver.

CMC has no interest in suggesting to others how to handle their weapons or how to use their weapons, other than to encourage the practice sound firearms safety techniques. The methods of operation for those whose weapons are carried as serious tools of their professions or duties and/or for self defense, has not changed significantly in the past 20-30 years.

The new POWER+ follower design always remains within the confines of the magazine tube at all times. The function of the new POWER+ follower completely eliminates any concern of the follower making any contact, whatsoever, to any part of the pistol. For anyone concerned with the function of the original followers in CMC’s; Classic, Match Grade and Power Mag series magazines, the new POWER+ followers are available direct from CMC, as direct retro-fit replacements of the original followers.

Thank you for contacting CMC Tech Support!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM

That's the same response I got when I emailed them.

I'm not sure I buy this:

1 - The only way the original follower design might mark the receiver is when thumbing the slide stop down to drop the slide on an empty chamber, with the magazine in place.

because they later say:

"All of the original CMC followers purposely jump forward at the point of engaging the slide stop upon last shot fired..."

If the follower jumps forward, what does it hit? The frame. Plus CMC followers do ding Al frames pretty good, well according to the sticky.

I know the stock Kimber mag followers ding the frame and Kimber admits they do. But they also say that it doesn't keep getting worse and it's not enough to cause a negative affect on reliability of the mag or gun.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 AM

I run several Shooting Stars as well, but with Tripp kits. All 100%.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM

I use CMC Shooting Stars with Wilson part #266,45C. I hate mags that don't have skirts The Tripp kit is also good.