1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 AM

Holster options for S&W 686 6"?

I have found a grand total of 2... can you guys PLEASE suggest other options for me? I'm willing to consider pretty much anything you'd hang on a belt that's not cross-draw.

Thanks all!

(btw, anyone know if the Fobus Roto for S&W L-frames will allow the 6" barrel to stick out the bottom? it's listed for 4" ones)
Old 06-18-2011, 07:21 AM

options...

I made these using my Ruger GP-100 blue gun and it worked well for the 629 and the Colt......disregard the cartridge loops, they were by special request (but they turned out pretty cool).
My blue gun is 4" bbl but extending it 2" is no biggie.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 PM

Bianchi makes holster for them.
I have an older Accumold holster, and a Cyclone.
The Cyclone can be worn as a cross draw holster, but also functions as a straight draw strong side holster.

I have a couple other Bianchi holsters for a 4" gun that I can't remember the model of. They are the ones that leave the trigger guard and trigger exposed.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 06-18-2011, 03:58 PM

You should consider looking at Brigade Gunleather. They make a VERY nice, classically-styled thumb-break holster for the 686. I have one these for my 4" 686 and had one for my 6" 617 that I sold a couple years ago. Brigade makes one hell of a nice holster, you won't be disappointed. Not sure what their turn around time is these days, they've gotten very popular since I found them.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
You should consider looking at Brigade Gunleather. They make a VERY nice, classically-styled thumb-break holster for the 686. I have one these for my 4" 686 and had one for my 6" 617 that I sold a couple years ago. Brigade makes one hell of a nice holster, you won't be disappointed. Not sure what their turn around time is these days, they've gotten very popular since I found them.
Wow. That company isn't playing. Their photos are outstanding. They appear to be of the same competency of any of the elite holster-makers. I'd have to say that Del Fatti is one of my favorites (tangent).
Old 06-18-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks - I bookmarked that!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 06-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
That's a copy of the Bianchi 5BHL holster.
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...xtModelID=5BHL

It's probably a lot nicer though, but I kind of like the Bianchi with their rear sight protector.
1911forum member #7
Old 06-18-2011, 07:07 PM

6" 686

Old 06-18-2011, 07:45 PM

I bought a Bianchi 5BHL at the same time as my 629 6". It's a decent holster which requires only a couple of days breakin. It is rather loose on a 1-1/2" belt and rides too high for convenience in the draw. For a belt holster, something with an open top, drop and offset would work best, like a threepersons style.

I later bought an Alessi vertical shoulder holster, which is fast and easily concealable under a vest or jacket. The lower part of the holster pivots downward, restrained only by a single snap with an optional thumb break, which operate in a single motion. If I carry the 629 in the woods or in a car, the Alessi will be perfect.

I think an IWB "appendix" carry would impress the girls, but be on the uncomfortable side
Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 PM

Thanks all for the help!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:34 PM

In no particular order; Bianchi, Milt Sparks, Kramer, Safariland, Ted Blocker, Davis Leather ... to name just a few.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Keep looking. Revolver holster are not as popular, not as common as holsters for bottom feeders. But if you look you can find them. Sometimes the smaller guys have more to offer than the big outfits. Here's a sort of custom job for my 4" 586. A 6" hoister for a 586/686 shouldn't be too hard to find. Then again, it depends on what you are looking for -- a field holster or concealed holster, thumb strap or open top, covered or open trigger guard. There are lots of possibilities.

Vern

Last edited by vmr357; 06-19-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:59 PM

There is one Galco holster that I forgot about. That's the Galco DAO revolver holster. It's pretty much a straight drop holster for average outdoor woody work. It's not at all suitable for CCW. It has a strap that goes over the hammer, and snaps down about where the trigger guard it.

Once unsnapped, the gun is fast out and fast to re-holster.
The strap you would think would interfere with holstering, but it doesn't at all.

Mine is for a 4" K-rame, but they make them larger.
I sometimes do use it for CCW even thought it's not made for that.

I also have a high ride Galco. It's hard to describe what it is, as it's a pretty new design. I don't remember the name, but it's the only Galco with a little leather thong that goes over the hammer spur. It's a high ride holster that would be more capable of CCW It consists of two main parts. The holster, and the belt attachment. The holster fits down in the belt attachment and his held in place by your belt and the snap on the other end of the thong.

It sounds weird, but it works really well.
1911forum member #7
Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM

This is my 686 no dash in a Bianchi 5BH for a Colt Python. I got it back when the 686 was so new that no holsters were made for it. It fits very well in the Python holster. The holster is marked "38/357 Colt".

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
This is my 686 no dash in a Bianchi 5BH for a Colt Python. I got it back when the 686 was so new that no holsters were made for it. It fits very well in the Python holster. The holster is marked "38/357 Colt".

My local gun shop has been selling new old stock Bianchi holsters for the last couple months. Most of them are left handed (disgruntled employee), but there were enough right hand holsters that I got my holster fix. I bought several of those for 4" K-frames, and one for an 8" Python. They are all marked for the Colt, but work well for the S&W.

The one I bought for the S&W that was marked S&W needed a little thumb strap stretching with the gun in it.

My favorite holster I found on the mess was a Bianchi version of an old Tom Threepersons holster. I love it.

I also got several Bianchi X2100 shoulder holsters.
1911forum member #7