1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 AM

Bear Creek Bullets

I recently started loading Bear Creek Bullets 200 grn round nose. Has anyone had any bad or good experiences? Running them in my Springfield Loaded Operator, and Trophy Match
Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 AM

Where did you order them from? I am shopping for bullets.

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:05 AM

Domain name for sale ?

I figured they were out of business.
When you go to the web site, it goes dead end
and says the domain may be for sale.
Their big distributor Cliff's Gunsmithing says Out Of Stock on all Bear Creek.

I used them once for 9mm in 125 Truncated Cone profile.
They wouldn't stabilize with fast powder.
I increased the velocity slightly and went to a slower powder.
The bullets stabilized.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
I used them once for 9mm in 125 Truncated Cone profile.
They wouldn't stabilize with fast powder.
I increased the velocity slightly and went to a slower powder.
The bullets stabilized.
Thats odd... my friend shots LOTs of those with solo 1000 without any issues.

Anyways, my friend is a dealer of his bullets... him, my other friend and a few other people I know have shot 1000s and 1000s of their bullets in different weights in 9mm, 40, 45, 38, 357mag with great success.

They are clean shooting, don't leave any residue in the barrel and are poly barrel safe from all that I have seen.

I shot a few of them... real nice bullets... they are more of a polymer finish than a traditional "moly" that is just tumbled onto the bullet.

MIke.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 AM
1911 Aficionado

I also have a local distributor, so I can buy them at the range where I most often shoot. I've found the hollow-base 200s don't react the same as other 200gr black bullets I've used. I was loading over max on my powder charge, to barely get the same velocities I was getting with .3 grain less powder. I shortened the OAL from my usual 1.26" to 1.22" for the HBRNs, and now I can use about the same powder charges as I was using with Precision and Masterblasters 200s.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I also have a local distributor, so I can buy them at the range where I most often shoot. I've found the hollow-base 200s don't react the same as other 200gr black bullets I've used. I was loading over max on my powder charge, to barely get the same velocities I was getting with .3 grain less powder. I shortened the OAL from my usual 1.26" to 1.22" for the HBRNs, and now I can use about the same powder charges as I was using with Precision and Masterblasters 200s.
Good to know... I was thinking they'd go faster with the same powder charge as I imaged that hollow back would help iron the bullet into the barrel causing a better seal... unless it work in the opposite and causes more drag.

Mike.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM
1911 Aficionado

I think it has something to do with the effective case volume. The hollow base allows more airspace in the case than would a flat base? You'd think the HB bullet would have to be longer, so that it would weigh the same as a flatbased bullet of the same weight, and so the case volume would be roughly the same.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
You'd think the HB bullet would have to be longer, so that it would weigh the same as a flatbased bullet of the same weight.
The manufacturers tell us that is EXACTLY the reason for many hollow base designs, to achieve a longer bearing surface.

If the hollow base allows the base to expand, great. But a properly sized lead bullet is already bore diameter. Not much freedom to expand.

I once measured the cavity in a hollow base 45acp bullet. It was so tiny.
Nevertheless, it did add to case volume slightly, even if marginally.

Anyone got a better URL for Bear Creek?
Their old one www.bearcreeksupply.com is kaput.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
1911 Aficionado

They do not maintain a website. You have to use that voice-transmitting thing . . . telephone? Apparently, they're busy enough that they don't bother to advertise or otherwise promote their product, and you have to call to place an order. When I was ordering direct I never had a problem getting through or getting an accurate estimation of when my bullets would arrive.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 PM

I figure the hollow base in this case is to get the weight down to a desired level while maintaining enough bullet length and nose shape for reliable feeding. You don't need the Minie Ball effect of the base expanding into the barrel and I doubt the shift in center of gravity matters much.

Years ago there was an outfit that sold a hollowbase version of a H&G #68 SWC which cut the weight from 200 to 160 grains. I figure that was for maximum velocity from a bullet that would feed well.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
You have to use that voice-transmitting thing . . . telephone

But most of our telephone lines are tied up with Internet traffic.

Weight forward is not bad for a projectile, it is good.
Like a Foster slug, it helps reduce stabilization time in flight.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM

My FFL sells them locally, I've shot plenty of 147g TC & 200g SWC without led issues.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Thx everyone, I shot 200 rds thru bouth TRP and my Trophy Match. They ran smooth as silk with no hang ups, very accurate from 25 yrds.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Bear Creek Bullets

I have some left over Bear Creek in .38 (400 - 150 gr and 400 - 170 gr) and .40 (400 - 180 gr and 400 - 200 gr) if anyone is interested. I switched back to jacketed.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post

But most of our telephone lines are tied up with Internet traffic.

Weight forward is not bad for a projectile, it is good.
Like a Foster slug, it helps reduce stabilization time in flight.
Here ya go Nick, Bear Creek is still in business, but as Rick mentioned very busy.
Apparently, too busy to maintain a web site (Maybe that is a good thing?)
Best time to reach someone is ~ 0830 – 0900 hours PST M-F

I have become a big fan of these guys for several calibers and Steve is a great guy to work with.
His 400gr. .410 diameter 40 caliber is MOA or better in my 40-65 Winchester.
That’s with vernier “eyeball” (No scope on the 1885!)

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 PM

Quick inquire....

Thanks for the info Gerk -

Do you know the BHN of his stuff, particulary .45 Colt 265 Gr. SWC ? Just askin' - Thanx
Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESAPEAKE View Post
Do you know the BHN of his stuff, particulary .45 Colt 265 Gr. SWC ? Just askin' - Thanx
Hardness really isn't a concern with moly bullets(it isn't really much with bare lead either)... just make sure you get them the right diameter to your barrel.

MIke.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1005 View Post
Hardness really isn't a concern with moly bullets(it isn't really much with bare lead either)... just make sure you get them the right diameter to your barrel.

MIke.
Hey Mike -

Actually I didn't know these were Moly Coated slugs. On the other hand, I would be using these for Full House / RUGER ONLY loads. 1300 fps. + with my 5 1/2" Stainless Bisley Model.

I think I am missing something here

I have reamed all cylinders with my Manson Reamer to .4525

And cut the Forcing Cone to 11 Degrees -

In my experience, the Harder Cast Bullets Brinnell 21 LASER CAST / OREGON TRAIL work best for accuracy as fast as I push 'em with slower powders such as H-110 / 2400 / 296 -
Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 PM

Spoke with them the other day and placed an order. They offer free shipping on orders over $100.00.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Hey Mike -

Actually I didn't know these were Moly Coated slugs. On the other hand, I would be using these for Full House / RUGER ONLY loads. 1300 fps. + with my 5 1/2" Stainless Bisley Model.

I think I am missing something here

I have reamed all cylinders with my Manson Reamer to .4525

And cut the Forcing Cone to 11 Degrees -

In my experience, the Harder Cast Bullets Brinnell 21 LASER CAST / OREGON TRAIL work best for accuracy as fast as I push 'em with slower powders such as H-110 / 2400 / 296 -
I can’t find my original Bear Creek paperwork so I don’t have any of the spec’s available but they are certainly not of a milder or low BHN
If I had to make a SWAG I’d say 18
Call Steve at Bear Creek and he can tell you all the gizmo-ology.

The coating is a HARD POLYMER, not a soft greasy MOLY type coating.
Diameters are very consistent from the different calibers I have been using
Mostly .358, .430 and .452 in handgun and .410 and .459 in rifle.
And I also load his RN .452 in my 1866 45 Colt “spaghetti” Winchester rifle.

The bullets are very “slippery” with this hard finish.
I use a Nitrile glove on my left hand to pick the bullets up not so much for barrier protection as with my bare fingers they can slip from my grasp because they are that slippery.

I have also noticed this “slippery” effect also allows you to obtain slightly higher velocities without having to push the bullets as hard as conventional with the same loadings.
They move very “efficiently” through the bore.

Barrels in all of the guns I have applied these bullets to stay very clean and there is no leading issues whatsoever.
In fact, from my experience to date, the barrels seem to get “conditioned” to some degree and will actually shoot conventional lead cleaner after shooting the polymers through them.

For the wheel gun bullets the crimping groove is “generous” and usually well formed.
The POLYMER on these and other polymer coated bullets I have used (Precision, Billy) deal with heat very well and I usually observe zero to low smoke.

So far…… “Iss all good blut”

Good Luck

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've been shooting my own cast bullets... they are in the 16-18bhn... shoot them at full 357 mag velocities, as well as 45 Colt Ruger only loads (255gr at 1300-1400fps) no leading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerk View Post
The coating is a HARD POLYMER, not a soft greasy MOLY type coating.
I used the term moly for conversation, but ya, they aren't the same as tumbling them in moly powder... just used the name since thats what everoyne calls them.

Mike.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
aren't the same as tumbling them in moly powder... just used the name since thats what everoyne calls them.
Just like clip and magazine; two completely different things, but we should all know when someone says one, that they probably mean the other.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:17 PM

I ordered more today. He is there taking orders if you are patient and call enough. These are the best all around bullets that I load.
200 grain RNHB Bear creek bullets
5.3 grain win231
CCI large pistol primer
oal 1.225

These also cost half the price of anything else. Give them a try...
Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911HD View Post
I recently started loading Bear Creek Bullets 200 grn round nose. Has anyone had any bad or good experiences? Running them in my Springfield Loaded Operator, and Trophy Match
I use 230gr bear creek bullets. They seem to shoot well.

DW V-Bob SS
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 PM

I found a supplier here in Las Vegas that stocks Bear Creek Bullets. His name is Jerry and very good to deal with.
his website is a little slow right now but is getting upgraded in January.
http://www.extremeventuresnv.com
Hope that helps.