1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM

SOG Kareen Hi Power

I got a flyer from Southern Ohio Gun. They have Israeli "Kareen" Hi Powers for $270+$10 for hand pick. My guess is that it's probably an FEG. I was already ordering a copy of Polish P83's, so I figured that I would add one of the "Kareen" Hi Powers on too. That will "save" me a little freight and some FFL charge. I'll post pictures when it arrives.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

The history of those guns went around the block once I remember. Try a search. It may have been ot though to the original title or it may have been related to the recent Israeli fn imports.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:44 AM

My understanding is that the Kareen is an Israeli-made pistol. They were still being imported and available in the US as recently as last year. Importer was in Texas, I think. I have not personally handled one, but have read some good reviews in years past.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:32 AM

The FEGs are for sale in the ad just below the Izzy ones. $30 less, IIRC.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 PM

Kareen Hi power

Bret,
Didjagetityet?

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 PM

It's at my FFL's. Hopefully I can get it tomorrow. If not, it will probably be early next week. I'll definitely keep you updated.

Based on the picture, it looks to me like the FEG "Hi Power" that SOG is selling below the Kareen isn't really a pure Hi Power. Take a look at the slide release lever. It gives it away.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Please post a picture when you get it. I thought that Kareens hadn't been imported from that Texas importer since the early to mid 90's.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Just got a nice Kareen from Cole's, on Gunbroker. Original finish and was probably police issue. Some wear and dings on the outside, but almost pristine inside. Shot great today, nice groups but a bit high and right. A great '70s-era HP to add to my growing HP collection.

Last edited by jonnyc; 06-24-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:17 AM

When I think of Kareen I always think of the later ones that were redesigned. Has it ever been definitively established where the old and the newer ones were made? Seems to be a lot of speculation, but that's about all.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 AM

jonnyc, is it a MK1 or an MK2? Does the serial number match on the barrel, slide, and frame?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 AM

I guess you would call it a MkI, a clone of a standard 1970s HP, like the FEG PJK. Yes, all three numbers match.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM

I just got one under the Kareen name from G.A. (Robertson Trading Post) with FN Belgium markings, Kareen was NOT stamped anywhere on it?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 PM

I was able to pick up my Kareen Hi Power today. Overall mechanical condition appears to be excellent. The cosmetic condition appears to be excellent save for an unusual number of nicks and scratches. There is very little finish wear.

Here's the supposed manufacturer's markings. Funny thing is that part of the Kareen is covered by the slide stop when the pistol is assembled.

Here's the Kareen marking on a grip.

Here's the only arsenal mark that I could find.

I don't know if this is typical of Hi Powers of the era, but the bottom of the frontstrap is machined down.

From the overall looks of things, humped barrel ramp, sights, barrel bushing, ejection port, etc., this appears to be of the classic Hi Power design (aka Mk1 even though there was really no such designation). I don't have any way at all to prove this, but my guess is that this is actually an FN made Hi Power. The previous owned ditched the magazine disconnect, so I guess they saved me the effort. I think this is a very good deal. I'll let ya'll know how it shoots.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Here's a Kareen Mark lll example that I just secured.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=236877380

It hasn't yet arrived .....I want to give it a once over before going into the "possible" rebuild.

Last edited by ob3640; 06-28-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Bret, do you have any markings on your mag? The differences between yours and mine make me wonder who and how many suppliers of the major components there were. And then throw in the obvious differences with the MkIII.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 PM

Hello to All,

It is my understanding from threads on the Kareen on other forums that the earlier Kareens were made from FEG components.

The later Kareen MKIIs & MKIIIs with the hooked trigger guards and extended tangs were made from Israeli components. I have no information as to whether they are still in production.

If you go on YouTube and type in "Kareen Hi Power" there is an interesting Israeli video on them from circa 1987.

Congratulations to both of you for your great finds!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 06-30-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 PM

Mine and Bret's are significantly different, in both construction and markings. Leads me to believe they may have started life in different countries.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 AM

I believe that you are correct. Both are Way Cool!

Last edited by Burgs; 06-29-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
Bret, do you have any markings on your mag?
Not that I could find.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM

I should have posted pics It looks like all FN Belgium made 1985. I guess the Israelis got Hi-Powers from all sources.

Mag has what looks like a zinc follower?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surry Co. Kid View Post
I just got one under the Kareen name from G.A. (Robertson Trading Post) with FN Belgium markings, Kareen was NOT stamped anywhere on it?
Robertson seems to have got a ton of stuff from Israel. Perhaps they just assumed that all Hi Powers from Israel are Kareens? Regardless, you got a nice one. I'm guessing it's a MkII.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post
Robertson seems to have got a ton of stuff from Israel. Perhaps they just assumed that all Hi Powers from Israel are Kareens? Regardless, you got a nice one. I'm guessing it's a MkII.
Bret, hope you guys can help on BHP's as I'm a 1911 guy and this is the very 1st Hi-Power for me. I had to get one 100th anniversary 1911 and 75th for Hi-Power. G-d Bless John Moses Browning. Just need a MA DUCE now

sorry, just had to add 1st custom 1911 with WC black shark skin leather, been a very good year!

Last edited by Surry Co. Kid; 06-29-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:48 PM

I took my new to me Kareen to the range today for some initial testing. I brought 25rds Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ and 40rds Geco 124gr FMJ. An interesting thing that I immediately noticed is that the magazine allows the bullet to point slightly to the left or right. It's like the magazine lips are not as tight together as they need to be. I'll compare to some other magazines when I get home. The accuracy of the pistol was great. It put the bullets right where I aimed them. The trigger reset was long and it was difficult to feel the reset. I had one failure to feed with the Federal ammo. The bullet tip was stuck just below the feed ramp. I pulled the slide back, released it, and the cartridge chambered. I had one failure to extract with the Geco ammo. Being that it has an unknown usage history, I'm going to install a new set of Wolff springs. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Quote:
Bret, hope you guys can help on BHP's as I'm a 1911 guy and this is the very 1st Hi-Power for me.
Happy to do so. Just ask your questions.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post
I took my new to me Kareen to the range today for some initial testing. I brought 25rds Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ and 40rds Geco 124gr FMJ. An interesting thing that I immediately noticed is that the magazine allows the bullet to point slightly to the left or right. It's like the magazine lips are not as tight together as they need to be. I'll compare to some other magazines when I get home. The accuracy of the pistol was great. It put the bullets right where I aimed them. The trigger reset was long and it was difficult to feel the reset. I had one failure to feed with the Federal ammo. The bullet tip was stuck just below the feed ramp. I pulled the slide back, released it, and the cartridge chambered. I had one failure to extract with the Geco ammo. Being that it has an unknown usage history, I'm going to install a new set of Wolff springs. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Happy to do so. Just ask your questions.
Bret, here come the questions:

serial# makes mine 1985, so it's a MkII (???) and other than the non-mag drop free/adjustable sights there are just minor differences between these and other models? I'm looking at replacing all springs to WOLFF, getting C&S commander hammer (hands are just to big and over hammer bite from GI 1911) refinishing, mag safety gotta go & need to find stock 3 dot, need help here, replacement sights, I'm ordering some Mec-Gar 13rd mags. Now will this thing feed hollow points? I'm kinda of lost on the "hump" guess I need to get a box of HP's and find out! Thanks for helping a BHP newbie out!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
serial# makes mine 1985, so it's a MkII (???)
That's generally true, but not definitely always. Is your feed ramp humped or flat?