1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM

A question about Ballistol and cleaning

I am considering using Ballistol for my pistols...and so I have been reading and watching all the information I could find. Interesting to see that in one video by Pete of the Armory Channel using Ballistol, he liberally sprays and cleans inside the slide; in another video by Hickok45, he does the opposite.

Here are the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc

The slide cleaning (on a Glock) starts at about 6:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMj7j...feature=relmfu

The slide cleaning (on a 1911) starts at about 11:40.

So, my question is, what method do you use inside the slide?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM

I use Balistol and I'm pretty careful about getting oil in the firing pin channel. I use both the liquid and aerosol, liquid with q-tips inside the slide (that bottle will outlive me and my kids) and aerosol the barrel.

So, I believe that would put me in Hickok's camp.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVBigEd View Post
I use Balistol and I'm pretty careful about getting oil in the firing pin channel. I use both the liquid and aerosol, liquid with q-tips inside the slide (that bottle will outlive me and my kids) and aerosol the barrel.

So, I believe that would put me in Hickok's camp.
OK, thanks. I've always heard you didn't want to get oil in the extractor and firing pin channels.

I'm going to order some Ballistol (can't find anyone who carries it locally) and give it a shot (please excuse the pun! )
Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM

I use it liberally to make sure it gets everywhere, then work the inside of the slide over with a toothbrush. Then everything is wiped, but not dry. I do use it inside the FP and extractor bores along with every other hole in the gun, but I'll remove the excess with a Q-Tip. In my guns, all surfaces/parts have a film of cleaner/protectant/lubricant regardless of which one I'm using.
Ballistol is also particularly useful in neutralizing corrosive salts from imported ammo when mixed with water to form an emulsion. It's the only gun product I know of that has this capability. Ballistol is also very good for wood and plastic. I use it on all my old guns. On an old M1911 with little to no finish, I use it on the insides once a year and spray the outside and wipe down several times a year, grips and all. I no longer use bore cleaners either, just the Ballistol on my brush and patch.
The residue of Ballistol after all volatiles have evaporated is soft, translucent semi-liquid paraffin that never hardens, so you have no concerns on collectibles that tend to sit for extended periods. To clarify, you never see this wax unless you pour some into a container and let it dry for some time. What you find on the gun is just a semi-liquid film, like any oily substance.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
I use it liberally to make sure it gets everywhere, then work the inside of the slide over with a toothbrush. Then everything is wiped, but not dry. I do use it inside the FP and extractor bores along with every other hole in the gun, but I'll remove the excess with a Q-Tip. In my guns, all surfaces/parts have a film of cleaner/protectant/lubricant regardless of which one I'm using.
Ballistol is also particularly useful in neutralizing corrosive salts from imported ammo when mixed with water to form an emulsion. It's the only gun product I know of that has this capability. Ballistol is also very good for wood and plastic. I use it on all my old guns. On an old M1911 with little to no finish, I use it on the insides once a year and spray the outside and wipe down several times a year, grips and all. I no longer use bore cleaners either, just the Ballistol on my brush and patch.
The residue of Ballistol after all volatiles have evaporated is soft, translucent semi-liquid paraffin that never hardens, so you have no concerns on collectibles that tend to sit for extended periods. To clarify, you never see this wax unless you pour some into a container and let it dry for some time. What you find on the gun is just a semi-liquid film, like any oily substance.
This...

I use it liberally on my black rifles and as Sax said,it is great cleaning up after using corrosive ammo.
I also use it as a preservative on my guns.I started using it after a Winchester collector said in the 25+ years he has used it,none of his collectables have shown even the slightest sign of rust.

That said,the smell leaves something to be desired.

DAT85
Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT85 View Post

That said,the smell leaves something to be desired.
A lot of people comment on the smell...some say it smells bad, like dirty socks, and some say it smells like licorice. What does it smell like to you?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:02 PM

My gym locker in high school.
I just recently tried it. Although I like the results, I plan to use it outside from now on. Used in my gun room, I would think there was something dead - would get a whiff once in a while.
I don't mean to knock a good product, and I didn't think I was sensitive to aromas, but that one just affected me more than some things.

Last edited by Cemetery21; 06-13-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemetery21 View Post
My gym locker in high school.
I just recently tried it. Although I like the results, I plan to use it outside from now on. Used in my gun room, I would think there was something dead - would get a whiff once in a while.
I don't mean to knock a good product, and I didn't think I was sensitive to aromas, but that one just affected me more than some things.
Hmmm...well, I have been more or less relegated to the garage or the patio ever since we got the new kitchen table anyway. Not too pleasant in July and August, or December and January!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Brownells has it.

I use it on my AK's when I fire corrosively primed Commie ammo. Has worked very well for me over the years. I occasionally use it on other pistols/revolvers if thats whats on the bench. Again...zero issues.

I use it more as a cleaner than a LUBE...especially on auto pistols.

FN in MT
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
A lot of people comment on the smell...some say it smells bad, like dirty socks, and some say it smells like licorice. What does it smell like to you?
It smells like "My AK's wont rust" is what it smells like to me.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM

Well, maybe I will be one of those who like the smell...or more importantly, my wife will! She has a very sensitive sense of smell...much more so than mine.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
Brownells has it.
I'm going to order it from MidwayUSA...I have some stuff to exchange, and I'll just include an order for it from them at the same time. Maybe save a few $$ on shipping.

I haven't found any gun shops in my area that carry it. Has anyone ever bought it at a gun show?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 PM

if your wife is sensitive to smells she will not like the smell at all. i received a gun coated with it and i cant stand the smell, it's nasty stuff, i won't be getting it for my guns.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 PM

It doesn't smell that bad. Not my favorite smell though.

I think it works great. I have the non aerosal bottle and just use it plastic pippette/dropper.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:58 AM

Ballistol is also good on your wood and leather. It also won't mess up the white dots around expensive tritium sights. Not matter what part of your gun you spray it on, it's good stuff. Parkerized finishes just love it.
Smells just fine to me. More importantly, my wife likes it, so there is no grief for cleaning guns in the basement instead of the garage.

I have a set of Navidrex cocobolo Hi Power grips that I haven't used yet because they were too orange with poorly defined grain. I have been spraying them down with Ballistol the last few days and the orange has gotten darker and the dark grain has become more prominent.

Ballistol is hard to source locally, thanks for the tip on Brownells and Midway.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 AM

"Ballistol"

That's German for "smells like crotch rot"

It's a decent, non-toxic CLP though...
Colt New Agent, TRADED
Springfield Gov't custom mystery gun
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Check some of your small local hardware stores. A locally owned "Ace" near my home carries Ballistol.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Funny thing about the odor - I don't mind it but my wife HATES it. Speaking of 'non-toxic', the workers at the Ballistol plant will drink it to show visitors on the plant tour that it really is non-toxic.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Funny thing about the odor - I don't mind it but my wife HATES it. Speaking of 'non-toxic', the workers at the Ballistol plant will drink it to show visitors on the plant tour that it really is non-toxic.
Wow. Thats nasty but I guess they got to do what they got to do.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM

To me it smells like licorice or anise. The smell eventually does go away.

You can find it at hardware stores. Another option, is to find a gun store that caters to the black powder crowd. It is very popular with black powder shooters.

I first ran into Ballistol back in the mid-90's at a hardware store. The salesman, to demonstrate how safe it is, sprayed it on his hand and licked it off. I'm never going to do that, but it was a good demonstration of how safe it is.

The main difference between the two videos is the two pistols involved. The Glock is a "low lube" gun. I believe they recommend just a few drops for the entire gun. The 1911 on the other hand likes lube.

Ballistol is a CLP product, so where ever you use CLP, use Ballistol. I do spray my barrel just like Hickok45 does and let it sit. I've found it to be a better cleaner at least, than BreakFree CLP. Maybe because I use more of it. I have use the spray bottle of Ballistol, but just use patches with BreakFree.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 PM

I got my order from Midway today...among other things, I had ordered two aerosol cans and one non-aerosol can of Ballistol. I just sprayed a little bit from one of the aerosol cans on a tissue, just to see what it smelled like...and I don't think it stinks. It has an odor that is hard to describe, to me...a little like rubbing alcohol but with something else as well. Not entirely pleasant, like I wouldn't want to wear it as aftershave...but by no means unpleasant.

I don't know if my wife is going to be able to stand it, though...she is extremely sensitive to smells. I was checking out the Ballistol in my study, and then I went in the kitchen where she was, and she was complaining about a chemical smell. She has been having some trouble with bronchitis for the last two days, so it is worse for her than usual...I asked her if she meant just now, and she said she had noticed it for the last two days. So, I don't think it was the Ballistol...but, she probably won't like being in the same room when I do use it. We'll see.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 PM

I think the anise smell (ICK!) is from whatever ingredient they use to make it emulsifiable in water; the 1905 German spec to make it useful with chlorate primed ammunition. Read the label and MSDS, it is largely mineral oil, doped for the application. "Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from
vegetal seeds."

I recall old Shooter's Bibles with similar claims for Stogerol. They were even wilder than what we see now for Ballistol, including medicinal uses. Just put it right on cuts and scrapes as an antiseptic. Well, it probably is. The ads read so similar to Ballistol I wonder if it were not the same stuff relabled for US sales.