1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 06-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Can I see your blue wilsons?

Google image isn't my friend here and it's hard to tell from photos on Wilson's website exactly what treatment the photo is showing. I'm looking to compare some polished vs matte blue guns and would love to see some photos side by side.

Also, any difference in how the two show wear over time? I really like the aging that use puts on blue guns, but I don't know how it differs from matte to polished.

Thanks-
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

I was told WC currently would only do matte blue. I hope mine coming is matte blue (blue over stainless). High polished blue sounds to pretty to shoot. I love a great looking gun but I want to shoot it. Somebody said somebody someday is going to shoot it why not be the person that paid for it. Makes sense to me. High polished sounds like a scratch waiting to happen.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogs View Post
I was told WC currently would only do matte blue. I hope mine coming is matte blue (blue over stainless). High polished blue sounds to pretty to shoot. I love a great looking gun but I want to shoot it. Somebody said somebody someday is going to shoot it why not be the person that paid for it. Makes sense to me. High polished sounds like a scratch waiting to happen.
Actually we offer a matte (bead blasted ) and a high polished (hand sanded, approx 600 grit finish)

The centennial gun is an example of the high polish. There are tons of pictures of them out there.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 PM

I should have one to show off very soon. I will post pictures for sure.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM

I believe this one is matte blue...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ue#post3292746

BTW, not mine.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocohillsguy View Post
I believe this one is matte blue...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ue#post3292746

BTW, not mine.
yes that is the "matte"
Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Wish I had a camera. Mine is the polished blued. But oftentimes the polished blued doesn't show-up in photos nearly as well as it appears in reality. There's something about this beautiful finish that cannot be "picked-up" in most photos.

For me personally, the polished blued finish is simply too beautiful to apply to a regular-use 1911. I could not bear to see the deterioration that would inevitably occur with extended use ... so my polished blued Supergrade lives in a perfectly controlled environment .... and all of my other Wilsons are finished with the Armor-Tuff, which is also very nice and much more durable & resistant to rust.

But everyone sees this differently, and each of us should specify and use our 1911s according to our own individual preferences.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 06-08-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 PM

The only "Blue" Wilson I could find. My Google-Fu is week tonight.
Wilson Combat Firearms: CQB Elite Turnbull Blue / Case Hardened .45, CQB .45, Lightweight Protector Compact .45, CQB Tactical LE.45, CQB-C .45, Stealth .45, Sentinel .45, Colt Custom .45, High-Cap Championship Special .38 Super Race Gun, Spec Ops 9, Scattergun Tech. TR-870 12 ga., UT-15 .223 with W/C .22 Upper, OD ADP 9mm, WC .22 1911 conversion
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highgear View Post

The only "Blue" Wilson I could find. My Google-Fu is week tonight.
Thats a Smurfield Armory
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
Thats a Smurfield Armory
BWAHAHAHAHAH!
Wilson Combat Firearms: CQB Elite Turnbull Blue / Case Hardened .45, CQB .45, Lightweight Protector Compact .45, CQB Tactical LE.45, CQB-C .45, Stealth .45, Sentinel .45, Colt Custom .45, High-Cap Championship Special .38 Super Race Gun, Spec Ops 9, Scattergun Tech. TR-870 12 ga., UT-15 .223 with W/C .22 Upper, OD ADP 9mm, WC .22 1911 conversion
Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
Thats a Smurfield Armory
HA!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Wish I had a camera. Mine is the polished blued. But oftentimes the polished blued doesn't show-up in photos nearly as well as it appears in reality. There's something about this beautiful finish that cannot be "picked-up" in most photos.

For me personally, the polished blued finish is simply too beautiful to apply to a regular-use 1911. I could not bear to see the deterioration that would inevitably occur with extended use ... so my polished blued Supergrade lives in a perfectly controlled environment .... and all of my other Wilsons are finished with the Armor-Tuff, which is also very nice and much more durable & resistant to rust.

But everyone sees this differently, and each of us should specify and use our 1911s according to our own individual preferences.
My blued Wilson with be going straight into my daily carry line-up. It will split time with a blued Baer, and a blued Brown.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
My blued Wilson with be going straight into my daily carry line-up. It will split time with a blued Baer, and a blued Brown.
Aha.

Yours is undoubtedly the majority opinion ... and I'm the "odd duck" in this regard.

Guess it's some collector's gene set in me, as I do enjoy visiting the museums of the world and seeing pristine examples of various works of art and craftsmanship.

But I do enjoy shooting and carrying my other Wilsons on a regular basis.

Cheers to all Wilson 1911s and all afficionados of these beautiful -- and functional -- masterpieces, whatever their roles and missions may be!.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Blued Wilsons

Posted before, but for your comparison:

Top Gun Polished:

Matte finish:

Hope this helps. Take care, Steve
Old 06-09-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinroller View Post
Posted before, but for your comparison:

Top Gun Polished:

Matte finish:

Hope this helps. Take care, Steve
Coinroller/Steve,
The terminology you are using doesn't match what we are currently building.

At Wilson, "matte" refers to bead blasted.

Your two guns are just polished to two different levels. Our "high polish" is somewhere between the two that you posted. We no longer do the "shiny" finish..I believe that one is salt blued.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks WCR. I've been away from the market awhile, and didn't realize the products/process had changed. In my book, any blue (and especially Wilson's) is a good blue, and one of the nice things about Wilson is the company is always looking ahead and improving their products.

Thanks again, Steve
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinroller View Post
Thanks WCR. I've been away from the market awhile, and didn't realize the products/process had changed. In my book, any blue (and especially Wilson's) is a good blue, and one of the nice things about Wilson is the company is always looking ahead and improving their products.

Thanks again, Steve
This is our current "high polish" on the flats..all done by hand. No power buffing equipment. Bead blasted Matte on the rounds.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM

The Charcoal blue on the centennial vs a 1918 army colt

Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Hopefully I can send these jpegs of my High Gloss Charcoal Supergrade and my K-5 Pro which is Armour Tuff black for comparison.

Gio
Attached Thumbnails
Charcoal Supergrade.jpg   High Polish Super Grade, Pro, K-5 Pro.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks so much for the replies.

WCR, if I chose the high polish entire gun, does that mean just the flats per your picture or would I have to specify high polish flats and matte rounds?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmachine View Post
The Charcoal blue on the centennial vs a 1918 army colt

Beautiful guns. I kind of get chills looking at that Colt. Looks like it's been places.

I think both matte and polished via Wilson are charcoal. Can you confirm the Centennial is polished?

Thanks again-
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM

The flats on the centennial are highly polished including the slide(except for the "carry cut" portion at the front) and the flat sides of the frame. The curved portions are not polished to the same extent. The charcoal blue is pleasant and reminds me of a classic winchester rifle from the pre-war era (you dont wonder if it is black or blue)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioBella View Post
Hopefully I can send these jpegs of my High Gloss Charcoal Supergrade and my K-5 Pro which is Armour Tuff black for comparison.

Gio
When you take closeup pics, use the macro(looks like a flower)setting on your camera, it allows the camera to focus better for closeups. Also try taking pics outside in morning or evening and try to move so the sun does not reflect directly on the gun(turn flash off). I like the way your pistols are set up, very nice....
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM

As far as the Bluing that WC offers - I like (or better yet - LOVE) the Charcoal Blue!

As far as ALL Bluing options go - (and I DO NOT know the correct terminology) But, I really, really, like the bluing that you used to often see on S&W revolvers. Think Dirty Harry's .44 Magnum. It had a very uniform, almost thick looking, blue to it. Not real shiny but nowhere near dull. Somewhere in between. And I'm certain that there were NO brush marks either.

I believe that some of the Colt 1911s also had a very similar blue finish. Specifically the Gold-Cup Combat. I think that was the correct name. Anyway, if WC does not do this kind that I'm trying to describe, then who does? (on 1911's) as an aftermarket feature, that it.

WMII
Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM

rebel machine, I love seeing some wear on the barrel hood already! Keep it up.