1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Nighthawk

Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 PM

Nighthawk Custom Conversion

I am very interested in the Nighthawk 22 custom conversion kits. I own various SA and DW 1911s. I would love to hear from somone who has bought one of their new ones : Newest Design by Bob Marvel of Bob Marvel Custom Guns.

TIA

Anyone?

Last edited by SteedGun; 06-06-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 PM

+1
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM

There are 3 (!!!) .22 conversions associated with Bob Marvel at this point.

The first is made by Marvel Precision, a company started by Bob Marvel, but no longer associated with him.

The second is a rework of Advantage Arms product done by Bob Marvel Custom Guns.

The third is a yet to be released new .22 kit from Bob Marvel Custom guns.

Just thought I'd throw this out since it doesn't appear that this is any of the three above. Its produced by Bob Marvel Custom Guns. So its either a NHC badged Marvel rework of the Advantage arms target version, or he is offering NHC his new product prior to actually offering it himself.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

FFL - 07 - Manufacturer
NRA Life Member
NRA Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun Instructor
Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 AM

regardless of what brand you choose, makes sure you take magazine cost into your consideration. Mags for some conversions can cost a fortune. For example, Tactical Solutions conversion is a quality piece, probably the best for someone who wants to maintain the function and feel of their 1911 when shooting $90 each!!!!

In comparison Advantage Arms mags are about $25 ea.

FFL - 07 - Manufacturer
NRA Life Member
Old 06-11-2011, 08:56 PM

i would like some feedback too. i am thinking of getting one of these
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 AM

The first thing you need to decide on is whether you want a fixed bbl "target" style conversion.

This is the most accurate, but does not operate the same as a standard 1911 because the entire slide doesn't go back and forth. The most accurate conversion based on discussions on rimfirecentral.com are the marvel precision conversions along with the Bob Marvel accurized Advantage arms conversions. The standard Advantage Arms target conversion is very accurate but not in the same league as either of the others.

If you want to use it to train "tactically" for lack of a better word, you are better off giving up a bit of accuracy for a conversion with a slide that reciprocates. If you want this kind of training, then a slide lock back is probably pretty important to you. In that case you are looking at Advantage Arms or Tactical Solutions. Remember the TacSol mags cost $90.

If you just want a plinker, Ceiner or kimber are fine. Their slide reciprocates like the real thing, but it doesn't lock back.

Because I'd like excellent accuracy, and am willing to give up some "realism", but want the slide to lock back and also want inexpensive mags, I'm currently looking at the target version of Advantage Arms conversion, if I could get it with a threaded bbl I'd have already bought one.

Of the units I mentioned above, I've shot a TacSol and an advantage arms target version. The other stuff mentioned above is gotten from the manufacturer's web sites and discussions on rimfirecentral.com.

The TacSol seemed the most "real" with its steel slide, but the $90 mags are a deal breaker for me.

Don

FFL - 07 - Manufacturer
NRA Life Member
Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 AM

I put in an order for one of these last month, and was told it'd be "2-3 weeks"before they were in stock and shipping... so I might see it this month.

From what I gathered talking to Larry, the slides will lock back on the new units. Slide is aluminum but it's 'hard enough' to not get torn up on the slide stop. He made it sound like it would be a warranty issue if the slide did get buggered up.

I like the look of the low profile Elliason adjustable sight rib... ***almost*** a perfect match to the Gold Cup. Would like to see the combo sight/scope rib released soon too.

Hopefully the CC will get hit soon...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Looking forward to some reviews
Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonot View Post
I put in an order for one of these last month, and was told it'd be "2-3 weeks"before they were in stock and shipping... so I might see it this month.
Did you ever get yours or an update?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal24k View Post
Did you ever get yours or an update?
Larry said they were about a week out when I called last week.

So hopefully they'll be shipping soon...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM

gotcha, I ordered mine a few weeks ago and was told "2 weeks" but havent talked to them since.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 PM

Just wondering why you want a 22 rim fire conversion anyway?

Not the same recoil.
Not the same weight
Not the same cycle rate
loading it is different.

Can't you just start reloading and shoot more that way?

I understand the concept but having played with the product I would stick with shooting the 45 loads.
Just for muscle memory alone.

Just My 2 Cents
ian
Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Sight alignment and trigger squeeze. The foundation on which all other marksmanship skills are built upon is still there when you use a .22 conversion.

I reload .45. I buy bulk moly coated "black bullets" which are between cast and FMJ in price. I buy powder in 8 lb containers. I get all my brass for free as range pickups. I buy primers 5000 at a clip. So I'm getting my components at a decent price. As it is, I'm paying about $7.25 per 50 rounds.

In contrast, you can buy a case (5000 rounds) of CCI Blazer .22, which works great in every gun I own, for $150 shipped when there are specials. Thats $1.50 per 50 rounds.

There is no comparison. You're paying almost 5x for reloaded .45 vs .22. Even 9mm cost me about $5/box to reload these days.

So, for $15, I can go shoot off 500 rounds of .22. Thats 500 times squeezing the same trigger that I compete with when I've got the .45 upper on my 1911. Thats 100+ presentations from the holster. Thats a lot of great muscle memory building for less than the cost of 50 (!!!) rounds of Winchester White Box purchased at walmart.

I don't see how you can't see the value.

FFL - 07 - Manufacturer
NRA Life Member
Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM

I just ordered my Nighthawk Bob Marvel conversion kit today. Greg told me on the phone that it will take about two months to get mine as they are back ordered big time. He did mention that they got their first big shipment in today so those of you with prior orders should see something in at least a week.

There is plenty of information on the benefits of a 22 conversion kit including the largest evidence in 1937 (U.S. Army and the Colt Ace conversion kit).

I cannot wait.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjets View Post
Just wondering why you want a 22 rim fire conversion anyway?
Sigh.

Why? We want them because we can have them.

Why not reload? Most of us do that too.

But they're not the "same" as a "real" 1911? Neither are any of the other pistols I own, that aren't "real" 1911s.

Why the Nighthawk unit? Because I was tired of waiting for Bob Marvel's website to get updated with info for direct purchase from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedGun View Post
I just ordered my Nighthawk Bob Marvel conversion kit today. Greg told me on the phone that it will take about two months to get mine as they are back ordered big time. He did mention that they got their first big shipment in today so those of you with prior orders should see something in at least a week.

There is plenty of information on the benefits of a 22 conversion kit including the largest evidence in 1937 (U.S. Army and the Colt Ace conversion kit).

I cannot wait.
This is good news... Hope to get it to the range ASAP, but it's been so hot & humid around here, I probably won't go anytime soon.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:08 PM

any of these on the street yet?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
any of these on the street yet?
I talked to Larry last week, he said they had gotten one batch of 50 in, cleaned, and packed. My unit should be in the next batch of 50, which ***should*** be getting processed this week.

Got my fingers crossed...
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM

FYI - according to Larry they issued a "design change" after getting the first batch. ETA is now 3 weeks out.

But I do appreciate them making sure the product is right before shipping orders, especially at this price point.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM

I wonder if they'll sell the "flawed" ones at a discount. ha.

FFL - 07 - Manufacturer
NRA Life Member
Old 09-20-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonot View Post
FYI - according to Larry they issued a "design change" after getting the first batch. ETA is now 3 weeks out.

But I do appreciate them making sure the product is right before shipping orders, especially at this price point.

interesting.
I had completely forgotten I ordered one of these until I was thinking about giving my neighbors a break from .45 and shoot some .22
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
interesting.
I had completely forgotten I ordered one of these until I was thinking about giving my neighbors a break from .45 and shoot some .22
I asked last week and it sounds like some units should be shipping soon. Apparently the issue they had was something related to a roll pin being incorrectly sized.

Hopefully they get some sent out this week!

(been saying that for a while... but hopefully they're getting close...)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 PM

So, while I havent seen any reviews or heard of anybody getting one, I did stumble across one on gunbroker surprisingly

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=253989477
Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Credit card just got hit... no tracking info yet. The wait begins!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM

well let me know! I am waiting on parking my frame before I can verify the kit fits
Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Bob View Post
just heard all the new units that have been shipped are being recalled because after 300 rounds the slides are cracking at the slide stop notch
Ugh,
I may just cancel my order.