1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 AM

Picking up brass at indoor range???

I went shooting at an indoor range for the first time last week. When I went to pick up my brass and the guys next to me as they had left there brass, I noticed that there was no broom to be found. Being my first time I did not know what to expect…I just assumed there would be a broom handy. Now that I think about it makes sense that they didn’t provide a broom, as the more brass left behind just gives them more to resale I suppose. I did scoop up quite a few around my area, especially the ones I shot out of my .45.

So my question is to you guys…how do you go about collecting your range brass? Do you bring your own broom? It would be nice to get one of those small hand broom dustpan combos from harbor freight for a dollar to put in my range bag, as I don’t think I would want be hauling around a full size broom to the range.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 AM

At my range I just pick it up by hand, there is a broom but I don't want most of the brass on the floor just the .45
I hope I didn't sound to contradictory, I promise it all makes sense to me. - Mduelge
Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 AM

All the ones I visit have a broom and dustpan. I use them to scoop up my brass and put them into my ammo can.

Hornady LNL AP Press - RCBS Rangemaster 750 Scale - RCBS Lock-Out Die (get one it could save your gun and fingers)
Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 AM

Part of the range's income is the resale of brass/reloads. When I got to the range, I cleaned my area of all brass (if there was a broom I swept, if not I kicked/scooped the brass away). That way all the brass on the floor around me was mine, and I took that home, even if I bought ammo there. No conflict with range policies and I usually left with nothing but what I brought...
Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM

Broom available but I use my hands.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM

unfortunately where i shoot my shells fall in the grass, so i just pick em up
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridLycan View Post
At my range I just pick it up by hand, there is a broom but I don't want most of the brass on the floor just the .45
My range says that once it hits the floor it is theirs. Is this typical? Range fee runs $10/hr.
Daniel Webster-Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters./Thomas Jefferson--I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoc View Post
My range says that once it hits the floor it is theirs. Is this typical? Range fee runs $10/hr.
Is that in writing somewhere?
If it is not in writing, and I had not been warned beforehand, I would collect my brass regardless and look for another place to shoot.
Also, do they enforce that rule / policy evenly across the board?
other than the remains of lead spent bullets & spent targets, I take home what I come with.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM

different styles

My range has a hockey stick & dustpan. So many guys are now picking up brass, it's like a British comedy.-"Pardon me, but are you going to pick up your brass?"-"No, would you like it?"-"Why yes, thank you." - or..."Yes, I am and I was wondering, do you want your's?" - "Well, yes I do." - "Too bad, I was going to ask for yours."

Not once when I've witnessed this conversation has anyone discussed guns, my conversation is more good old USA. "Hey, what are you shooting?"-(Shows gun) "Whoa, that's pretty sweet, how do you like it?"-"I love it, but I'm looking for a ...." "Yeah, that sounds nice, do you mind if I pick up your brass?"- "Nah, go ahead." Doesn't work everytime, and I'm not loading yet. Collecting brass while I'm priming the wife for the funds and learning a ton of info on this forum first!
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ President Ronald Reagan
Old 05-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:

It's their house, they make the rules. They sell the brass, and usually list a safety concern as the compelling reason for refusal to allow pick up of brass I have actually seen a couple of instances where this concern had some merit

I'd find another place to shoot if possible.

Winston Churchill: Madam, If I were your husband, I would drink it.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Usually by hand but make sure to bring a set of thin gloves. A range floor if you haven't noticed is rather dirty.

-1911Collector

"You have a pretty face. Do you speak Spanish? ...you have a face como un burro." Gru.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow View Post
It's their house, they make the rules. They sell the brass, and usually list a safety concern as the compelling reason for refusal to allow pick up of brass I have actually seen a couple of instances where this concern had some merit
I'd find another place to shoot if possible.
At the local indoor range that I'm a member of (TargetMaster - Columbia) they re-sell the brass at a really low price (20lb box, presorted, comes out to about .04cents per piece)

BUT....
...They never say anything to you for picking up your own brass (or that left by others) at your feet, near your station/lane etc - as long as they aren't busy and you don't cross the firing line...
And I usually go in the mornings when it's NEVER busy - so it works out good.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Find a new range or pick it up anyway. Unless they want to pay a deposit on my brass, they can kiss my ...... They would never have a leg to stand on legally with such a policy and it would be unenforceable anyway.

If I reload my own, or even buy their ammo, once I purchase the brass, it belongs to me.

Fin
Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 PM

There is a proper wide broom at our Club & if they come across 38Spl, 9mm or 45ACP brass it is handed to the shooters. The .22 goes into the brass barrel for it is worth something.

Also my brass of any caliber, as mentioned above, bar the .22, is marked with one stroke of a black pen. For I might be picking up some of my brass, but note some other 45 brass & usually it belongs to the shooters to my left & I make sure they get it.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM

I just leave em where they fall. I might sweep some ahead of the firing lane so that others don't slip on them.

Heck, some of the classes I have been through generate thousands in a few hours. Some are live rounds with defects from bad jams.

If they ever make 12 gauge shells in Nickel Silver, I would pick them up and take em back home to reload myself.

By the way the last range I shot at, roaches as big as humans were between my feet while I was firing downrange at targets. I had about enough of that with them picking silver before it bounced twice.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:36 PM

Use nytrile gloves and cardboard targets to push and scoop up the brass.

There's some nasty sh*t on the floor of an indoor range.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4finny View Post
Find a new range or pick it up anyway. Unless they want to pay a deposit on my brass, they can kiss my ...... They would never have a leg to stand on legally with such a policy and it would be unenforceable anyway.

If I reload my own, or even buy their ammo, once I purchase the brass, it belongs to me.

Fin
Perhaps, but I doubt if you would be allowed to shoot on their range again.

Different ranges have different policies. The range I shoot at doesn't mind you picking up your own brass but they don't permit you cabbaging up brass that you didn't fire.

If you don't like the policy you'll have to go somewhere else to shoot........assuming they enforce the policy.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM

Cat litter scoop works great for picking up the brass (buy a new one ). Dirt and other garbage falls through the openings.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM

A BROOM ??? Next he'll be expectng a beer and a massage.

I pick it up off the floor on all fours like a cheap whore fighting for discarded pennies.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Not where I work. We have lots of brooms & dustpans. If you want the brass on the floor its all yours. If its already in the buckets its ours.

I have several customers that collect their brass so I always try to put them at the ends to make it easy for them.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM

+10

+10 for what M4Finnty said!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 PM

I can't go in front of the firing line (logical), but they provide a broom to reach out and scoop my brass. Like others, I just want to leave with what I arrive with. Unfortunately, that sometimes means I get home with .45 cases that use small primers. I have started saving these, and once I have enough, I guess I will have to purchase small primers and load a batch...

I am at the range several times a week, so purchase cleaned/sorted brass at at a really good rate. Trying to build up about 5000 rounds...probably by end of July.
Rule #1 - Always be armed, as Bad Guys do not make appointments to do Bad Guy Deeds...
Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
Perhaps, but I doubt if you would be allowed to shoot on their range again.

Different ranges have different policies. The range I shoot at doesn't mind you picking up your own brass but they don't permit you cabbaging up brass that you didn't fire.

If you don't like the policy you'll have to go somewhere else to shoot........assuming they enforce the policy.
Like I wrote earlier ...... I only take what is mine. What is so difficult to understand?

So, who cares if I'm not allowed back there again? They wouldn't get my repeat business anyway.

I seriously doubt that the proprietors have the resources in staff to police this one facet of their business anyway.

Fin
Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 PM

Your not serious brass whore unless you own this

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310

It works perfectly on a concrete floor and so so on grass. But on grass, it will find cases you can't see. I have to buy a couple dozen and sell them at the range. Everytime I use it, people are amazed.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Mortimer View Post
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310

It works perfectly on a concrete floor and so so on grass. But on grass, it will find cases you can't see. I have to buy a couple dozen and sell them at the range. Everytime I use it, people are amazed.
Haha, my realtor bought me one of those when I bought my current house. Just for cleaning up sweetgum balls, not brass. Since I've had the tree cut down... Hmmmm *runs to the shed*