1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-29-2011, 11:50 AM

What is the best way to polish a feed ramp?

I have purchased a Les Baer TRS that is hard chromed from Cabelas. This is not a new weapon, but the previous owner apparently had the entire frame and slide hard chromed and it looks fantastic.

The only problem is that I went to the range yesterday and ran 300 rounds of the Winchester White Box 230 g 45 auto FMJ. Those rounds would mash into the
feed ramp smearing copper all over it and pushing the round back into the brass casing.

First time I tried to load a full magazine into the chamber by releasing the slide stop, not manually releasing the slide stop... it would not feed, just mashed into the feed ramp. It took 300 rounds to get to the point where I can actually feed a full magazine (Wilson 47D).

So what I am asking is what is the best means to polish the feed ramp as I do not have a dremel and and trying to avoid using a gun smith here in Dallas as I am not familiar with any that are good.

attached is a picture. As you can see, the feed ramp is not polished at all, and its still rough. The only reason I believe it was feeding a full magazine was because I ran it very wet and placed a drop of CLP there.

Les Baer TRS, S&W M&P 9c, S&W M&P 15, S&W Bodyguard 380, Mossberg 500
Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Check and adjust the extractor tension, as it could be too tight and not allowing the round the freedom of movement it needs to feed properly when it hits the ramp.

Extractor adjustments and tweaks are preferred to ramp / frame adjustments due to the fact that extractors are easily replaced, and far less costly.

While ramp polishing may have some merit, IMO, it is highly over rated and largely unnecessary in most cases. None of the 5 1911's I own have had their ramps polished by anything other than the rounds they have fired, and none have had feeding issues. (minus the Kimber....extractor issue though...)

Others will chime in I'm sure, however, I wouldn't bother with a ramp polish.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Take or send it to an experienced gunsmith and let them polish the feed ramp.
If it needs it. Your pistol's feed ramp looks just fine as it is.

I've owned a lot of handguns since the mid 70's and I've never seen one that
needed the feed ramp polished.

But, I have seen quite a few frames ruined by incompetent kitchen table gun
butchers.

Ken Crawley can fix your gun.
He's in Kemp, Tx.
http://www.crawleycustom.com/

Last edited by JBnTX; 05-29-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Buy sheets of 600 and 800 grit sandpaper. Tear off a small piece of the 600 and place it grit side down on the feed ramp. Using the eraser end of a pencil, rub the sandpaper over the surface of the ramp. When the sandpaper is worn, replace it. Do that 6-8 times with the 600 and the same with the 800.

With such fine sandpaper, there's no way for you to do any damage, the ramp will be all smooth and shiny and you'll be happy.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
Buy sheets of 600 and 800 grit sandpaper. Tear off a small piece of the 600 and place it grit side down on the feed ramp. Using the eraser end of a pencil, rub the sandpaper over the surface of the ramp. When the sandpaper is worn, replace it. Do that 6-8 times with the 600 and the same with the 800.
A handy sanding block to use is a spent .45 case. Do not change the angle of the feedramp, do not round off any corners, and don't strive for a mirror polish. All you really need to do is smooth the toolmarks.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:13 PM

remove the extractor and see if it does the same thing or not,, if it feeds smoothly then your extractor needs tuning -- otherwise polish away
Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed1 View Post
remove the extractor and see if it does the same thing or not,, if it feeds smoothly then your extractor needs tuning -- otherwise polish away
I never thought about doing something like that... That is a great idea. If the issue still persists, then I will take the next step after
Old 05-29-2011, 01:39 PM

Being as your ramp looks like 100 grit sand paper, a light smoothing may not be a bad thing. Some 1k-2k grit paper and a few light strokes to knock off the high points would probably help. It does not have to be a mirror shine, just get rid of the high points. Lots of people will scream that only top gunsmiths can smooth a feed ramp, but thats is just rubbish. Don't remove excess metal, don't change the angle, don't use power tools, remove the minimum amount needed to accomplish the job.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badquaker View Post
Being as your ramp looks like 100 grit sand paper, a light smoothing may not be a bad thing. Some 1k-2k grit paper and a few light strokes to knock off the high points would probably help. It does not have to be a mirror shine, just get rid of the high points. Lots of people will scream that only top gunsmiths can smooth a feed ramp, but thats is just rubbish. Don't remove excess metal, don't change the angle, don't use power tools, remove the minimum amount needed to accomplish the job.
I am glad you see it too. My Les Baer feed ramp does feel like 100 grit sand paper compared to my Kimber which is smooth.. I just removed the extractor to see if it was an issue feeding and I just ruined two bullets because the copper head just got pushed back into the brass casing. I'm going to get some sand paper and work this out.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_mays View Post
A handy sanding block to use is a spent .45 case. Do not change the angle of the feedramp, do not round off any corners, and don't strive for a mirror polish. All you really need to do is smooth the toolmarks.
I will.. Thanks for the info
Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Absolutly agree here! 1000 grit works great, but don't round the edge of the ramp, and only work it until its smooth not a bit more... If you want more I'd suggest you see a gunsmith.

Also, there is alot of merit to the extractor thing check out this link if you have questions www.m1911.org/technic2.htm , if these two things don't solve your problems then take it to a gunsmith.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:24 PM

You don't even need sandpaper, get a tube of flitz, put a dab on a clean patch and using the pad of your little finger with light pressure, polish in an up and down motion, top to bottom for about one minute. You don't need it shiney, just a little smoother.
Msgt., USAF,Ret.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:27 PM

I don care about mirror finishes. I am just looking to smooth it out so that the bullet will feed properly. The weapon itself already screams sexy to me... I know if this feed ramp issue gets smooth out just enough for the rounds... I will have no more issues.

As for the extractor, I don't believe that is the issue because I removed it and had the same issue and while at the range... all the issues I had with the Kimber didnt occur with the les baer during break in... The only issue my Baer has is the feeding.

Thanks you all for all these great information.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
You don't even need sandpaper, get a tube of flitz, put a dab on a clean patch and using the pad of your little finger with light pressure, polish in an up and down motion, top to bottom for about one minute. You don't need it shiney, just a little smoother.
I have brasso... you think that will do the job too?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
The man is 100% correct flitz, works wonders go slow.

As stated you are looking for smother not a mirror.

DD
Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 PM

checked out Wal mart and home depot and I couldn't find any flitz which I think would be less abbrasive then sand paper. So I ended up getting 1000 grit paper and I'm going to be as gentle as I can and work it to make as smooth as I can. I'm going to post some pics later tonight of the before and after one I get off work at midnight.

Thanks for the inputs
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM

Maybe it's the magazine that is the cause of the feeding issues.
Awful expensive pistol to be experimenting on.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 PM

If you go to Home Depot, you can pick up some of this buffing compound by Ryobi. I use it on a felt tip with my Dremel. It will make quick work of your feed ramp and you will not have to worry about damage to the frame.

I know you don't have a Dremel, but this can be used with a regular drill or on a piece of cotton cloth and done by hand. Personally, I would find a Dremel to borrow or buy one.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ac...ng_accessories

Here is some good info on polishing. Go down to the bottom of the page and see what compounds are used for which metals.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

Out!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed1 View Post
the extractor is not involved in feed failures that involve nosediving into the feed ramp. the extractor does not get involved in the process until the rear of the case has started to move up the breech face, which is after the cartridge has nosed into the chamber.

Quote:
the brand of magazine is seldom the problem with nose dive feeding issues in 1911 45s since magazines made by all manufacturers produce nosedives as more rounds are loaded into the magazine. load your magazine and look for a gap between the top round and one under it as more rounds are loaded. by the time you get to 6, 7 and 8 rounds the gap gets bigger and by the time you reach 8 rounds it doesn't matter whose name is on the magazine, they all have the same gap.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja327 View Post
I can assure you my Chip's, Wilson's, and the one that came with the baer are not the issue as they work just fine in my other 1911. But thank you for your input as I do want to know as much as possible. Also, I have no plans on making gouges or anything... just very, very light smoothing with a wet 1000 grit paper. And yes, I have invested a lot of money into the weapon, but no where near what I invested in my salt water hobby. Pics will be presented and also updates..

Last edited by commandertekki; 05-30-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 AM

Thank you everyone for your inputs... I was going to do some work on it tonight, but I am tired and have to work tomorrow.

So... I am going to work on it another day as I want to enjoy it as I enjoy cleaning my 1911 and other weapons that I own... It is a soothing experience for me. Until then here is a pic of my pride and joy chilling before bed.

Last edited by commandertekki; 05-30-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 AM

Stay away from the sharp edge at the top where the ramp intersects the barrel bed. This must stay sharp as machined.
Joe
Old 05-30-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Lots of people will scream that only top gunsmiths can smooth a feed ramp, but thats is just rubbish.
Very true.
But, most of the trashed feedramp jobs have a common theme.
The 'smiffs are only brought in AFTER the event.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:33 AM

update...

I didnt do much at all with the sand paper... my only goal with to gently sand in an up and down motion to remove the hard chrome off the feed ramp... It took a couple swipes, but I was able to remove the hard chrome finish to expose the actual polished finish before it was chromed.

These are my tools of the trade that I used. 3M 1000 grit Wetdry.. I did it dry.

I used the erasor pen to place gentle pressure against that little piece of sand paper.

This is the result after it was done... If you look closely, you can see some of the hard chrome finish still on the lower portion of the feed ramp, while the top portion is smooth....

I fed 4 fully loaded magazines.. 1 chip mccormick with Remington HP 45 auto, 2 Wilson 47D with the Winchester White box FMJ, and 1 Wilson Combat with the Hornady HP.. ALL full 8 round magazines... It did it 4 times by releasing the slide stop and allowing it to return to battery on its own. and 4 times manually racking it.. and 4 times with the slide in the normal position already return to battery and racking the 8 rounds in the magazine. I am satisfied now. I hope to confirm this when I go to the range soon.

I NOW HAVE NO MORE PROBLEMS WITH FTF!!!! and no more wasted bullets..However, I have a a lot of 1000g sand paper left.

Last edited by commandertekki; 05-30-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post

the brand of magazine is seldom the problem with nose dive feeding issues in 1911 45s since magazines made by all manufacturers produce nosedives as more rounds are loaded into the magazine. load your magazine and look for a gap between the top round and one under it as more rounds are loaded. by the time you get to 6, 7 and 8 rounds the gap gets bigger and by the time you reach 8 rounds it doesn't matter whose name is on the magazine, they all have the same gap.
I noticed that... and took that into consideration. Thanks for the input