1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Stag Arms Quality Review

For those new to AR15's and wanting to know about Stag Arms.

http://www.ar15pro.net/2011/05/stag-...eat-value.html
Old 05-27-2011, 02:16 PM

well, that echoes my experience as I have yet *knock wood* to have a problem with one of my Stag's.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 PM

Good gun no problems here with 16" carbine. "The chart" is just that a chart.

Patrick Henry
Old 05-28-2011, 01:50 AM

The only problem I have with ARs from places like Stag Arms, is that many times, they cost more than a quality AR, without being similar quality.

Right now, I can build a much better AR for $645. If you pay less than $645 for a Stag, RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS, Del-Ton, M1S or whatever, and it works for you, great. If you do not, tell me why one would buy lower quality for a bigger price???
Old 05-28-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ria View Post
The only problem I have with ARs from places like Stag Arms, is that many times, they cost more than a quality AR, without being similar quality.

Right now, I can build a much better AR for $645. If you pay less than $645 for a Stag, RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS, Del-Ton, M1S or whatever, and it works for you, great. If you do not, tell me why one would buy lower quality for a bigger price???
Why don't you do us all a favor and tell us how you are building an AR15 better than a Stag for $645.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ria View Post

warranty? hassle factor? Once upon a time I built all of my own computers. In this way I could do it much cheaper and use all of the best parts. Nowadays the cost of computers have come down considerably, and with most parts all being made in china, the brand of a part means much less, so there is little incentive to bother building one's own, and virtually no savings.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 AM

Stag makes a decent gun. There are many better choices out there, but with the right tweaks, it can be a reliable weapon. There are some things they do that I don't like. Theirs headed in the right direction with these new "options" they have which are standard on many other rifles. Funny thing is, the "chart" is what prompted a few of the major companies to at least offer things like auto carriers and heavier buffers, etc. There's just something that bothers me about the lower quality barrel steel and the fact that if I want mil spec, need to get their "Plus Package". Also, I need to worry about the gas key being staked properly. Not sure about anyone else, but when one loosens up and you don't know what you're looking for, it can get very frustrating trying to figure out why your gun won't cycle. Once I add the Plus Package, I might as well just buy a BCM that does it right from the start.

I don't get down on anyone for their purchases, but I do try to at least to suggest some simple changes that can be done to squeeze the most reliability out of it. I also will suggest other manufacturers if the rifle is for duty or defensive use, even if all you get is 2% better odds that it won't fail on you.

We used to have to pay a lot for what is standard on many rifles today. When looking at similarly equipped rifles, you often times will spend more for a built-to-spec, or better, rifle from RRA or Stag than you would from Colt or BCM.

When it comes to warranty issues with companies like BCM, Noveske, KACm for example, regardless of what it states, they'll usually take extremely good care of you and often times you'll end up talking to one of the top guys at the company. On one of my SR15's, I couldn't remove the torx bolt n the ambi selector. After trying numerous things, including plenty of heat, I Dremel'd it off. I contacted KAC and asked them how much for the scalloped right side selector. When I realized the bolt was still stuck, I called back and left a message that I didn't need it now as I would need a whole new selector. A week later one came in the mail.

My point here is that don't let the warranty stuff be a major factor. I'd take a 1 year warranty from Bravo or KAC than a lifetime warranty from DPMS because I know that even a few years after the KAC warranty is up, they'll still take great care of me. Actually, I'm not even aware of any of the warranties my guns have as it's never been an issue.

Oh, on that same note, when one of my bolts sheared a couple lugs within the month I bought it (Bushmater after 1,000 or so rounds), Bushmater told me I probably shot beyond the recommended firing schedule and wouldn't do anything for me.

Again, I'm just trying to point out that just because it says lifetime warranty, doesn't mean you be treated right when the time actually comes.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 05-28-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
Why don't you do us all a favor and tell us how you are building an AR15 better than a Stag for $645.
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2209.php

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1633.php

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1560.php
Old 05-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubie02 View Post
warranty? hassle factor? Once upon a time I built all of my own computers. In this way I could do it much cheaper and use all of the best parts. Nowadays the cost of computers have come down considerably, and with most parts all being made in china, the brand of a part means much less, so there is little incentive to bother building one's own, and virtually no savings.
Buy a DPMS and/or Bushy, warranty or not, and you will have a very good chance of knowing, intimately, what "hassle" means.

The problem with the cheap stuff, is that it is going UP in price, while the quality guns are coming DOWN in price.

Plus, putting together an AR is dead nuts simple. Rather than worry about warranty work, just take 30 seconds and swap out a (relatively cheap) part. With the AR, if you can do a magazine change, chances are you can remove and replace a part. It's not "quite" that simple, but it's pret durned close.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 PM

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 PM

I've had a stag arms model2 ar for over a year and I've had no problems
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Oh yeah, dont forget the $100 stag arms +(plus) package so you can get chrome lining. What a joke...

A buddy has a model 2. Upper has been back to stag twice for canted front sight base. Second time it was returned to him, replaced with new upper, again a canted front sight base. I finally talked him into replacing with a free float and lo pro gas block , added back up irons to rail, which fixed the problem. Fast forward 2 months, he bought a sig m400 enhanced $917, it is an excellent out of box rifle. Stag is now back up.